Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flirtation Hill Mudgee, Flirtation Hill Gulgong - both had gold mines on or adjacent to them. Why that name ?

5 posters

Go down

Flirtation Hill Mudgee, Flirtation Hill Gulgong - both had gold mines on or adjacent to them. Why that name ? Empty Flirtation Hill Mudgee, Flirtation Hill Gulgong - both had gold mines on or adjacent to them. Why that name ?

Post  Jigalong Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:34 am

Does anybody know if "flirtation" is a term associated with gold mines ? I visited both towns last weekend and I believe that both hills had gold mines on them.

As well, both have viewing areas good for teenagers to "park" on, so they could have got the name from that too I guess.

Jig
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Flirtation Hill Mudgee, Flirtation Hill Gulgong - both had gold mines on or adjacent to them. Why that name ? Empty Re: Flirtation Hill Mudgee, Flirtation Hill Gulgong - both had gold mines on or adjacent to them. Why that name ?

Post  Curley Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:53 am

Hey Jig, lots of country towns have a flirtation hill. A good spot to park with your GF at night if you get my drift. tongue
True!
Cheers
Curley
Curley
Curley
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-11-16

Back to top Go down

Flirtation Hill Mudgee, Flirtation Hill Gulgong - both had gold mines on or adjacent to them. Why that name ? Empty Re: Flirtation Hill Mudgee, Flirtation Hill Gulgong - both had gold mines on or adjacent to them. Why that name ?

Post  Guest Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:27 am

Jig MT took me there and said there was a mine on top of the hill at Mudgee..............................he lied Smile .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:22 am

Liar..you said do you want to see mine on the top of a hill at mudgee...I miss heard you. So we necked...he tried to flirt with me..so I necked him

Back to top Go down

Post  stevo 444 Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:31 am

Went to a place called " Cock Head Creek ' in NZ, that got me wondering about that place name origin he he.. Laughing
stevo 444
stevo 444
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  spidertice Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:48 pm

I Know where Flirtation hill is in gulgong ,, know where most of the old diggings were / are in gulgong , (there is still a open shaft 30 ft from a road in gulgong town centre,, ,,, but have never heard of flirtation hill in mudgee and i lived there, the closest mine to mudgee i know of is 3 ks out the ##22@^&** road,, are you sure jig
spidertice
spidertice
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:59 pm

Mr Tice,

These are the co-ords. When are you coming home ?

Jig.

32°36'15.06"S, 32°36'15.06"S
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:49 pm

Jigs...according to one bloke on the forums, Spidertice and I are one and the same person..and I'm already home.

But then as you know Spider and also know me...that must make you me too! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:51 pm

In the ol days it was Flirtation hill look out, now days I think its called Mt frome??
The nearest mine to that area i believe would be what was known as the pit on your way up to 3 poles.
More of a quarry then a mine??

Tony, if you drive all the way up Douro st till the end,,turn right on to Madeira rd, flirty is just up past the water tanks, and it was a popular hang out for rev heads in the 80,s after we were kicked out of the main st. Laughing

As for necking, i think thats what the oldies called it, I can't tell you what it was called in the 80's because its not permitted on a public forum, but had very little to do with your neck. Shocked

Gulgong in the old days was popular for specking nuggets out of the gutter in the streets after a heavy rain, back in the days when the road was still dirt, and from what i was told by locals born and bread on the wifes side at the time, flirty was also known for finding nuggets around the base.
But you wont turn a PI on in either locations.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Curley Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:35 pm

Narrawa wrote:
Gulgong in the old days was popular for specking nuggets out of the gutter in the streets after a heavy rain, back in the days when the road was still dirt, and from what i was told by locals born and bread on the wifes side at the time, flirty was also known for finding nuggets around the base.
Too true Narra. Flirtation Hill at G/gong was once known as Red Hill. Those who know the history will know thats where the rush started.
Cheers
Curley
Curley
Curley
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  spidertice Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:19 pm

Curley wrote:
Narrawa wrote:
Too true Narra. Flirtation Hill at G/gong was once known as Red Hill. Those who know the history will know thats where the rush started.
Cheers
Curley

when you look at the old gutters in gulgong, its easy to see how the gold would catch,, yep narrawa, i know where ya mean lol, no wonder they took me off the garbage truck Shocked
spidertice
spidertice
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down