Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scientific Consensus: Earth's Climate Is Warming

+3
Kon61gold
granite2
planetcare
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scientific Consensus: Earth's Climate Is Warming  Empty Scientific Consensus: Earth's Climate Is Warming

Post  planetcare Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:23 pm

Scientific Consensus: Earth's Climate Is Warming
https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/?_hsenc=p2ANqtz--7HNeIVCHpF1VqmxpZiUIgvahYwkA5G9mVoYHIpXPARMfpaz7mUbGVcXJdQ9O76h3p1mco

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 755
Registration date : 2019-09-27

Back to top Go down

Scientific Consensus: Earth's Climate Is Warming  Empty Re: Scientific Consensus: Earth's Climate Is Warming

Post  granite2 Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:27 pm

Of course the earth is warming. We are still emerging from the last ice age. The sea level since the middle of the current ice age has risen 150 meters, why would it stop now. Observing the depth of coralline limestone in some areas show there is a way to go yet before the seas stop rising. But carbon has nothing to do with it.
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1842
Registration date : 2009-10-12

adrian ss likes this post

Back to top Go down

Scientific Consensus: Earth's Climate Is Warming  Empty Re: Scientific Consensus: Earth's Climate Is Warming

Post  Kon61gold Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:55 pm

Apart from the earths natural evolutionary change over time, a little common sense is also required here Jim. How can man not be contributing to the rise of climate temperatures, when in fact the burning of fossil fuels of today has gone up a million fold, as compared to the days before the worlds industrial revolution?
Fact, when fossil fuels are burned they release large amounts of carbon dioxide, a green house gas into the air. Green house gasses are known for trapping heat in our atmosphere, causing global warming. Not to mention the constant release of methane gasses by millions of man made old disused oil boreholes, that have not been properly capped, so that no further unnecessary methane gas is released into the atmosphere.
To say that the ever increasing burning of fossil fuels which are known for releasing a constant flow of C02 emissions into the atmosphere have nothing to do with global warming, is like saying to the factually & well proven/documented sciences, they know not what they say or do, but believe in what I say, without the need of any substantiated, scientific facts or proof, which makes little sense to me.
There were just over 600 million people living on the earth back in the early 1700's, well before the worlds industrial revolution ever taking place.
Today we have just over 8.4 billion people, each one doing there part towards the burning of fossil fuels, contributing Co2 into the atmosphere at an unheard of rate than ever before.
No matter how little or how much we humans contribute towards global warming/pollution of the earth, we all play a part towards climate change & the excess rise in global temperatures through the burning of fossil fuels, whether we like it or not Jim, but until some form of cleaner, safer, more viable & reliable form of energy comes along in substitute to the burning of fossil fuels, I hate to say it but the signs will continue to be, one more world climate disaster after another.  Sad

Kon T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4516
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:21 pm

Kon. more and more scientists are coming out with proof that carbon isn't the culprit. The science is NEVER settled. Besides that, why should we be destroying our economy when no matter what we do will change nothing with so called climate change. Sure, the world needs to clean up the air but covering thousands of square miles with wind turbines and solar panels bought from China isn't going to help.
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:40 pm

So you're telling me that Co2 released into the atmosphere does not contribute to to a rise in global temperature?
Can you please tell me which are the scientists saying that Co2 emissions into the atmosphere play no role whatsoever towards the increase of global temperature?
Co2 emissions alone might not be the main cause or contributor of green house gas effect (like I said, there can be more than one contributing factor) causing global temperature to rise, but there's no disputing Co2 is a green house gas, which when emitted into the atmosphere through the burning of fossil fuels, in above average world quantities, is known & does contribute towards a rise in global temperature.
This no scientist can dispute, for its a proven fact. Or they just have to rewrite the books stating such.
Co2 might not be the main cause or contributing factor, but is a proven green house gas, which causes global temperature to rise.
 Like every major manufacturing enterprise that's ever come into existence, tends to place profits first, above human safety/well being, so will some say the opposite, when bought & paid for by the same culprits releasing such debilitating toxins into the atmosphere, poisoning mankind, all for the sake of the dollar & this has been going on for donks years. The temptation of taking home a suitcase full of dirty money, in order to pervert the course of justice, has never been higher in todays times. Shocked
Its only when mans A*s* is on fire, that the so called impossible, becomes possible.  Shocked  Laughing
Either way, when the worlds climate is currently undergoing dramatic change year after year, necessitating mankind to make changes for our own long term survival, then change we must make, or sit back, do nothing, talk back & forth rhetoric like politicians do, until its all, a little, to little, to late.  Smile

Kon  T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:41 pm

And don't forget co2's little brother Methane.
With over 8 billion people and around 940 million cattle on this little marble called earth it's bound to get a little fluffy & stuffy V51  Holy Moly

https://www.unep.org/news-and-stories/story/methane-emissions-are-driving-climate-change-heres-how-reduce-them

cheers    moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Wed May 01, 2024 11:20 am

It is interesting to note that the level of carbon in our atmosphere has been much higher than today, and that the earth's temperature rose well before this high in carbon, not after. It's also interesting to note that the earth's temperature has been much higher than it is today and the earth recovered.
It's also interesting to note that those telling us we are doomed unless we reduce our carbon emissions are those who stand to benefit the most from the futile attempts to save the planet from a manufactured threat.

I say this not to convince anyone who reads it, but to air my thoughts. In this way no one need reply.
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Wed May 01, 2024 5:33 pm

The end is nigh, we are doomed I tell you DOOOOMMED........Yeah NAAAH just kidding. Very Happy

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/humans-are-doomed-to-go-extinct/
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4367
Registration date : 2015-07-03

geof_junk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  planetcare Wed May 01, 2024 10:22 pm

granite2 wrote:It is interesting to note that the level of carbon in our atmosphere has been much higher than today, and that the earth's temperature rose well before this high in carbon, not after. It's also interesting to note that the earth's temperature has been much higher than it is today and the earth recovered.

Yes and their were no humans on the earth at this time! Its worth noting that the two largest extinction events in the earths history were associated with a massive increase in carbon dioxide.

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  planetcare Wed May 01, 2024 10:35 pm

granite2 wrote: The science is NEVER settled.
Where there are threats of serious or irreversible damage, lack of full scientific certainty shall not be used as a reason for postponing cost-effective measures to prevent environmental degradation.

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Thu May 02, 2024 8:48 am

I guess there is good reason to clean up our atmosphere in those regions that are thick with man made atmospheric pollution. but as far as preventing the inevitable natural cyclical climate change I can only suggest that it will take a God like intervention to achieve that. We as humans, whether we are here or not cannot alter the universe or our solar system environment. Sorry fellas but we are nothing more than dust particles on this planet.
We will survive this on-rushing warming period and the ice ages and warming periods after that but we are going to have to cut the population of the planet in half if we are going to have enough food a thousand years or so from now. It might be also a good time to start building small underground cities.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  planetcare Thu May 02, 2024 12:07 pm

adrian ss wrote:------but as far as preventing the inevitable natural cyclical climate change I can only suggest that it will take a God like intervention to achieve that.

A cumulative mountain of evidence now shows that mans activities is now he dominant driver of climate change.

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Thu May 02, 2024 12:58 pm

PC the science is never settled no matter what YOU or anyone else says Rolling Eyes .
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  planetcare Thu May 02, 2024 1:21 pm

granite2 wrote:PC the science is never settled no matter what YOU or anyone else says Rolling Eyes .
https://skepticalscience.com/Is-the-science-settled.html

“The favoured refrain of climate deniers and those who oppose climate policies is that “the science is not settled.” To some degree, this is true. Climate scientists are still uncertain about a number of phenomena. But it is the nature of science to never be settled — science is always a work in progress, constantly refining its ideas as new information arrives.
Certain evidence, however, is clear: global temperatures are rising, and humans are playing a role in it. And just because scientists are uncertain about some other areas, does not negate what they are sure about.
The uncertainties in climate science that remain are not a justification for not acting to slow climate change, because uncertainty can work both ways: Climate change could prove to be less severe than current projections, but it could also be much worse.“

https://news.climate.columbia.edu/2023/01/12/what-uncertainties-remain-in-climate-science/

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Fri May 03, 2024 11:07 am

PC, the problem with climate alarmists is that when new scientific data is made public you refuse to believe it, even ridicule it because it doesn't fit your beloved narrative.
There are more and more climate scientists coming up with new evidence that carbon is not the driver of global warming. But I'm sure you know that.
Don't ask me for links,, do your own research.
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  planetcare Fri May 03, 2024 1:03 pm

granite2 wrote:PC, the problem with climate alarmists is that when new scientific data is made public you refuse to believe it, even ridicule it because it doesn't fit your beloved narrative.
There are more and more climate scientists coming up with new evidence that carbon is not the driver of global warming. But I'm sure you know that.
Don't ask me for links,, do your own research.
The number of practicing  climate scientists that claim that carbon dioxide is now not the main driver of global warming can be counted on one hand!!  Some of these are the same scientists that worked for the tobacco lobby and claimed that smoking does not cause  lung cancer!
Now here is a question for you -if you believe that  carbon dioxide in now not the main driver of global warming then tell us what is and provide the evidence that explains ALL the observations eg why the troposphere is warming and the stratosphere is  cooling?
I await your response with interest and  amusement.

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Fri May 03, 2024 5:43 pm

Sorry PC I can't answer your request just now. I fell off my chair laughing and hurt my arm Very Happy
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  planetcare Fri May 03, 2024 5:54 pm

granite2 wrote:Sorry PC I can't answer your request just now. I fell off my chair laughing and hurt my arm Very Happy

You cant answer and are just having a cheat shot to hide your ignorance even with many hours to try and come up with a credible answer. You are way to easy to expose as a climate ignoramus!

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Fri May 03, 2024 9:07 pm

Gentleman, relax; take a bex and have a lie down. T31
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Fri May 03, 2024 9:16 pm

T04 Lets not get our nickers in a knot here gents. The last thing I want to do is shut another thread down. Shocked  V02 V04 Q35 Shocked

Kon T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Sat May 04, 2024 7:36 am

This topic is similar and just as contentious as another subject taking place in the Middle East.

You are never going to get agreement between those that believe and those that don't. May as well bang your head against the wall.

Whatever your beliefs, we all have a responsibility to ensure that what we have now can be recycled and/or re-used for use of those to come. Use as little as we can and conserve as much as we can. Turn the lights off when not needed because when the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't blow then the lights will turn off anyway.

All will be for nought in 5 billion years time when the Earth is turned into a cinder ball so you better get used to it now.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2014-01-20

bicter and adrian ss like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sat May 04, 2024 10:48 pm

Gents, this isn't rocket science, nor should it be. One only has to see the devastation & havoc, climate change has had around the world so far, in order to realise both climate & environments around the world, are changing & changing at a dramatic rate.
Regardless of who's more in the wrong or right, or what might be the major cause of such climate change, If things continue to unfold at the rate they're unfolding & mankind takes little or no steps at all, in order to help reduce or adapt to such devastating climatic events taking place, I dread to see what the worlds climate has in store for us next?  Shocked  affraid But only a matter of time before we see or hear about it. Shocked

Kon T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon May 06, 2024 8:38 am

Yes I agree Kon.
Keep it respectful people.

That said:
Earth’s spin, tilt and orbit

Earth’s spin, tilt, and orbit affect the amount of solar energy received by any particular region of the globe, depending on latitude, time of day, and time of year. Small changes in the angle of Earth’s tilt and the shape of its orbit around the Sun cause changes in climate over a span of 10,000 to 100,000 years, and are not causing climate change today.

Daily changes in light and temperature are caused by the rotation of the Earth, and seasonal changes are caused by the tilt of the Earth. As the Earth orbits the Sun, the Earth is pulled by the gravitational forces of the Sun, Moon, and large planets in the solar system, primarily Jupiter and Saturn. Over long periods of time, the gravitational pull of other members of our solar system slowly change Earth’s spin, tilt, and orbit. Over approximately 100,000 – 400,000 years, gravitational forces slowly change Earth’s orbit between more circular and elliptical shapes, as indicated by the blue and yellow dashed ovals in the figure to the right. Over 19,000 – 24,000 years, the direction of Earth’s tilt shifts (spins). Additionally, how much Earth’s axis is tilted towards or away from the Sun changes through time, over approximately 41,000 year cycles. Small changes in Earth’s spin, tilt, and orbit over these long periods of time can change the amount of sunlight received (and therefore absorbed and re-radiated) by different parts of the Earth. Over 10s to 100s of thousands of years, these small changes in the position of the Earth in relationship to the Sun can change the amount of solar radiation, also known as insolation, received by different parts of the Earth. In turn, changes in insolation over these long periods of time can change regional climates and the length and intensity of the seasons. The Earth’s spin, tilt, and orbit continue to change today, but do not explain the current rapid climate change.

OK if that be the case:

Riddle me this,

In the Devils Hole, Nevada paleoclimate record, the last four interglacials lasted over ~20,000 years with the warmest portion being a relatively stable period of 10,000 to 15,000 years duration. This is consistent with what is seen in the Vostok ice core from Antarctica and several records of sea level high stands.

When more climate science states that:

At least five major ice ages have occurred throughout Earth's history: the earliest was over 2 billion years ago, and the most recent one began approximately 3 million years ago and continues today (yes, we live in an ice age!). Currently, we are in a warm interglacial that began about 11,000 years ago.

Then there is this gem:

Scientists have recorded five significant ice ages throughout the Earth's history: the Huronian (2.4-2.1 billion years ago), Cryogenian (850-635 million years ago), Andean-Saharan (460-430 mya), Karoo (360-260 mya) and Quaternary (2.6 mya-present).

So science seems to be a bit confused where climate change and earths cooling and warming periods are concerned doncha think?

So if the Dramatic warming and cooling periods that have occurred have happened over very cyclical time spans and if they were not caused by humans And we know that humans were around at least 200,000 years ago in roughly current form, what caused those very cyclical climate changes that are still occurring today?.....Like I mean man; we have not been the cause of any Ice Age.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  planetcare Mon May 06, 2024 11:06 am

“Finally, Earth is currently in an interglacial period (a period of milder climate between Ice Ages). If there were no human influences on climate, scientists say Earth’s current orbital positions within the Milankovitch cycles predict our planet should be cooling, not warming, continuing a long-term cooling trend that began 6,000 years ago.
There’s nothing cool about that.“
https://science.nasa.gov/science-research/earth-science/why-milankovitch-orbital-cycles-cant-explain-earths-current-warming/

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon May 06, 2024 2:32 pm

The last Glacial Maximum (LGM) occurred between 25-16 thousand years BP and the planet has been in a warming cycle ever since then.

Therefore if that warming cycle commenced approx 26,000 years ago and if that warming is part of a natural cycle then what is causing that cycle?

It is a sure  bet that the natural warming cycle is going to result in a very much hotter Earth in approx 5,000 years from now than what the man made  green house gas increases might cause.

Remember that man will have reduced his green house emissions to almost zero  by that time  but the planet will still become  a stinking hot dry planet and we will be struggling to exist no matter how clean the atmosphere might be.

There are many factors that cause ice ages. The main ones include variations in Earth’s orbit, known as Milankovitch cycles, reductions in solar energy emissions, lower atmospheric greenhouse gas concentrations, variations in ocean currents, tectonic activity, continental configurations, mountain building periods and global volcanism.........The only one of these causes for Ice Ages that has any Cyclical aspects to it are the
Milankovitch cycles.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  planetcare Mon May 06, 2024 2:49 pm

adrian ss wrote:The last Glacial Maximum (LGM) occurred between 25-16 thousand years BP and the planet has been in a warming cycle ever since then.

Not correct according to my ref above!

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  planetcare Mon May 06, 2024 2:54 pm

adrian ss wrote:

It is a sure  bet that the natural warming cycle is going to result in a very much hotter Earth in approx 5,000 years from now than what the man made  green house gas increases might cause.

I disagree and so do climate models! Greenhouse warming on present trends will far exceed any natural warming cycles .

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

As far as I'm concerned we need climate change. That is warmer winters and cooler summers which means earth has to rotate on a vertical axis.  Scientific Consensus: Earth's Climate Is Warming  1f603
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 936
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon May 06, 2024 8:05 pm

Yeah and Canberra might actually  be rid of the bloody frosts and summer might actually last longer than one month. Very Happy
      Who knows, we might be able to bung a few cities at the South Pole...But of course it will not be the South Pole by then aye. The ice will have formed elsewhere. There will be pretty lakes and rivers and there will be trees and grass n magic mushrooms n little bunny rabbits hopping about where the ice used to be.

So this approaching warm climate cycle  might actually be a good thing for certain areas of the planet  while others will be a tad cold.  Argh geez ya just cannot win aye Razz
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon May 06, 2024 8:16 pm

planetcare wrote:
adrian ss wrote:

I disagree and so do climate models!   Greenhouse warming on present trends will far exceed any natural warming cycles .

Climate models are a bit like fashion models; They can be made to look however you want them to look.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next