Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

detecting comunications - Portable 2 way radios

5 posters

Go down

detecting comunications - Portable 2 way radios Empty detecting comunications - Portable 2 way radios

Post  Guest Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:09 pm

hi
i`ve run into a few people in the bush that have had portable uhf radios so they can talk to their detecting budies.
anybody got any recomendations on which is a good set to purchase?
thanks
dave

Back to top Go down

detecting comunications - Portable 2 way radios Empty Re: detecting comunications - Portable 2 way radios

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:14 pm

I have always found Uniden to be a winner, I use handheld uniden's and just bought a set for the vehicle.
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

detecting comunications - Portable 2 way radios Empty Re: detecting comunications - Portable 2 way radios

Post  madmax800 Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:21 pm

I have been using UHF for years.

I agree with Uniden BUT

They are too heavy and big when carrying all day.

I have got a set of these, Had no issues at all, every 1 who uses them ends up getting a set.

2 radios, charger, lanyard.

Regards
madmax800
http://www.gme.net.au/products/radio-communications/uhf-477mhz-handhelds/TX650
madmax800
madmax800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:31 pm

madmax800 wrote:
They are too heavy and big when carrying all day.

scratch

These are small and light, and at this price I'd jump on them!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/uniden-uhf-handheld-radio-uho-38sx-2-40-ch-07watt_W0QQitemZ290494969995QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SRCH:AU:101
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:38 pm

G'day Phoenix.

Myself and a couple of mates,use the Icom IC-4088s,caried in their belt poutches on the side of our belts. Good for up to a kilometer in between gullies or 3klms in strait line of sight.They last for about 30 hrs continuously on 3 disposable AA Alkalines. Build quality is superb.Light weight,durable,long lasting & comfortable to carry around and use.

Cheers kon61.

Last edited by kon61 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:41 pm

Unless your in flat open country you won't get much distance out of those smaller UHF hand helds.

We have the Uniden 2 watt hand helds and in the timbered country with a few hills thrown in your flat out getting 2km. (unless your both on top of a hill).

We first had a small set 0.5 watt and you nearly had to see each other to get any communication going Very Happy

5 watt ones would be the go but are a bit pricey, but I guess it depends how much value you put on having effective communications in the bush.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:57 pm

G'day Davsgold.

The Icoms that I'm talking about aren't exactly cheap toys.At over $200 each they do work well.Now if moneys no problem i should have mentioned their bigger brother,the 5 watt Icom IC-41s CB hand held.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:09 pm

kon61 wrote:
G'day Davsgold.

The Icoms that I'm talking about aren't exactly cheap toys.At over $200 each they do work well.Now if moneys no problem i should have mentioned their bigger brother,the 5 watt Icom IC-41s CB hand held.

Cheers kon61.

No I wasn't meaning yours, just that some (like our first ones) were cheap and basicly useless.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  alpacajohn Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:47 pm

G'day

I have been using a pair of Uniden UH-040xr for more than 10 years now. 3 AA batts. rechargeables. Lasts for absolutely yonks. A very strong build, Supposed to be 3kms line of sight, but I have had almost 10kms hilltop to hilltop. 4o channels and scan function.

Don't forget to have a code to talk to your buddy .... as Hakey used to say, he got a lot of info just listening in.

There are a couple of sets of the GME TX650 's on Ebay today.

regards
Johnno Smile

alpacajohn

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-09-19

http://elsbears.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:12 pm

I use uniden uhf handhelds. Its a twin pack and they last all day and i just pop them back in their charger cradle at the end of the day and im right to go again.
I dont find them too big or too heavy and the 'call' feature is great (im saying this from experience from my friend dropping one unit SOMEWHERE in the bush and me walking around hitting the call button trying to locate it, lol). And yes, it was found again! cheers
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:22 am

hi
i read all the replies,noted what you had to say about the power of the things,went down to supercrap to see what they had,checked out ebay & bought a set of these.i like the idea of the detachable microphone/speaker and the car charges included.i`ve never heard of the brand but they say they come with a 3 yr warrenty (whether you can collect on the warrenty is another thing,but the seller has a big positive feed back)
thanks to all of you
dave

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ORICOM-2-WATT-UHF2100-UHF-HANDHELD-RADIOS-NEW-3-YR-WTY-/170557507438?pt=AU_Electronics_Radio_Equipment&hash=item27b605076e

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:40 am

They look alright.... let us know how they perform. Mine has the same accessories as those and also at 5W i get 10km straight line or so far 4KM in the bush (havent tested further yet). What i really like is the earphone/mic which means i dont have to manually handle the unit at all. Its just like the old single headphone/mic that mobile phones used to have.

cheers and good luck!
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down