Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battery storage comes to the fore as solar power generation reaches new highs across Australia

2 posters

Go down

Battery storage comes to the fore as solar power generation reaches new highs across Australia Empty Battery storage comes to the fore as solar power generation reaches new highs across Australia

Post  planetcare Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:51 pm

Battery storage comes to the fore as solar power generation reaches new highs across Australia
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-07/solar-exemplar-australia-desperately-needs-more-storage/102945846

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 751
Registration date : 2019-09-27

Back to top Go down

Battery storage comes to the fore as solar power generation reaches new highs across Australia Empty Re: Battery storage comes to the fore as solar power generation reaches new highs across Australia

Post  adrian ss Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:00 am

Some interesting Lithium Ion battery information.

Should interest the greens, environmentalists and lithium ion battery lovers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impacts_of_lithium-ion_batteries
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4363
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Battery storage comes to the fore as solar power generation reaches new highs across Australia Empty Re: Battery storage comes to the fore as solar power generation reaches new highs across Australia

Post  adrian ss Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:30 am

Lithium Ion Battery fires are on the rise..Shock horror! I never could have guessed. affraid

There have been more lithium-ion battery fires in the first eight months of this year than in all of 2022, with Fire and Rescue NSW responding to 165 incidents in the year to August, compared to 114 last year. (as of Sep 23)

Lithium ion batteries not cleared for use in our submarines because of inherent fire risks....And yet the Gov is allowing these solar powered battery banks to be hung of our houses.....I guess it is ok to have a house or two burn down,and burn a few mums and dads and toast yer kids. Rolling Eyes All in the name of Net Zero GHG emissions Rolling Eyes
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

xmas tree likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  planetcare Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:18 am

adrian ss wrote:Lithium Ion Battery fires are on the rise..Shock horror! I never could have guessed. affraid

There have been more lithium-ion battery fires in the first eight months of this year than in all of 2022, with Fire and Rescue NSW responding to 165 incidents in the year to August, compared to 114 last year.    (as of Sep 23)

Lithium ion batteries not cleared for use in our submarines because of inherent fire risks....And yet the Gov is allowing these solar powered battery banks to be hung of our houses.....I guess it is ok to have a house or two burn down,and burn a few mums and dads and toast yer kids. Rolling Eyes  All in the name of Net Zero GHG emissions Rolling Eyes

How many of these were due to household battery storage banks?

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:14 pm

planetcare wrote:
adrian ss wrote:Lithium Ion Battery fires are on the rise..Shock horror! I never could have guessed. affraid

There have been more lithium-ion battery fires in the first eight months of this year than in all of 2022, with Fire and Rescue NSW responding to 165 incidents in the year to August, compared to 114 last year.    (as of Sep 23)

Lithium ion batteries not cleared for use in our submarines because of inherent fire risks....And yet the Gov is allowing these solar powered battery banks to be hung of our houses.....I guess it is ok to have a house or two burn down,and burn a few mums and dads and toast yer kids. Rolling Eyes  All in the name of Net Zero GHG emissions Rolling Eyes

How many of these were  due to household battery storage banks?

That question is proving difficult to find a straight answer to......Lot of side slipping going on. Suspect

https://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/page.php?id=9389

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-30/house-fires-caused-by-lithium-batteries-rise-in-nsw/102783846

Last edited by adrian ss on Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  planetcare Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:30 pm

I suggest that most of the fires are due to electric scooters, bikes and house hold items . Correctly installed and maintained house battery packs with appropriate monitors and cut out switches to stop thermal runaway and overcharging are very safe.

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:55 pm

In all of the years of being involved in the electronics industry (a very long time)I have used many lead acid  batteries, NiFe batteries, alkaline etc and have never had a battery explode , overheat or catch alight but in the past couple years of using Lithium Ions, one phone battery overheated and buckled, one 12 volt pack was warped on arrival from the manufacturer, another expanded  and bulged but did not burn ( chucked it before it could), and one would not accept recharging. That is a 400% failure increase over my old faultless lead acids and NiFe type.

Last edited by adrian ss on Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  planetcare Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:22 pm

adrian ss wrote:In all of the years of being involved in the electronics industry (a very long time)I have used many lead acid  batteries, NiFe batteries, alkaline etc and have never had a battery explode , overheat or catch alight but in the past couple years of using Lithium Ions, one phone battery overheated and buckled, one 12 volt pack was warped on arrival from the manufacturer, another expanded  and bulged but did not get burn ( chucked it before it could), and one would not accept recharging. That is a 400% failure increase over my old faultless lead acids and NiFe type.

Their are safer alternatives like Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries!

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:01 pm

And realize that the 12 volt pack arrived in Austraia to my front door packed in a cardboard box via a plane from China. pale   Shades of MH370 affraid
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:16 pm

planetcare wrote:
adrian ss wrote:In all of the years of being involved in the electronics industry (a very long time)I have used many lead acid  batteries, NiFe batteries, alkaline etc and have never had a battery explode , overheat or catch alight but in the past couple years of using Lithium Ions, one phone battery overheated and buckled, one 12 volt pack was warped on arrival from the manufacturer, another expanded  and bulged but did not get burn ( chucked it before it could), and one would not accept recharging. That is a 400% failure increase over my old faultless lead acids and NiFe type.

Their are safer alternatives like Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries!
The nominal voltage of one single LiFePO4 battery cell is 3.2V, and the charge voltage range is 3.50-3.65V. Note that the charge voltage cannot be higher than 3.65V, as lithium battery cells are sensitive to over voltage and over current........Your charger voltage will need to be very accurate.

Yes lithium ion phosphate batteries appear to be efficient and safe, however they are expensive and at the moment demand seems to be low so the price is high.

the high price of LiFePO4 batteries primarily stems from factors such as high raw material costs, complex manufacturing processes, low production volume, and market demand. With technological advancements and market expansion, it is expected that the price of batteries will gradually decrease, making them more accessible and affordable.....Maybe?
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down