Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panning at Warburton 2022-2023

4 posters

Go down

Panning at Warburton 2022-2023 Empty Panning at Warburton 2022-2023

Post  Boxxy Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:41 pm

Hi Guys & Girls
Just new to the forum from yarra ranges area.
I would love to know if anyone has done any panning at Warburton or knows any spots you are still allowed to.
One of the guys I work with drives past a certain spot to get to work and he told me he has seen people there more often than not.
Really looking at spots to go closer to home.
Been to Anderson Creek a few times as it is only about 20 min from were I live not much there (lots of work for little reward).
Any information would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Boxxy
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2023-01-04

Back to top Go down

Panning at Warburton 2022-2023 Empty Re: Panning at Warburton 2022-2023

Post  bicter Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:49 am

Boxxy wrote:Hi Guys & Girls
I would love to know if anyone has done any panning at Warburton or knows any spots you are still allowed to.
One of the guys I work with drives past a certain spot to get to work and he told me he has seen people there more often than not.
Been to Anderson Creek a few times as it is only about 20 min from were I live not much there (lots of work for little reward).
Thanks in advance.

Have a play around on the https://gsv.vic.gov.au/sd_weave/anonymous.html for historical information on the area you are interested in. Hint, add mineral layers Smile
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Boxxy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:35 pm

Another factor that cannot be ignored is the fallout of 19th-century gold fever. As the birthplace of the Victorian gold rush, Andersons Creek was plundered by prospectors after 1851, when Louis J. Michel struck it rich. While gold deposits brought wealth, mining caused tremendous damage to the ecological environment around Andersons Creek. At one stage, frequent clearing wiped out all the vegetation.

Today, there is still a bit of prospecting going on. Parks Victoria allows gold panning for those with a licence at Fourth Hill, off Gold Memorial Road. Only non-mechanical hand tools are permitted, excavations must be back-filled and vegetation must not be disturbed.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4356
Registration date : 2015-07-03

bicter, xmas tree, moredeep and Boxxy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  goldie Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:36 pm

Boxxy wrote:Hi Guys & Girls
Thanks in advance.

Got 6 grams of gold in half a day at Starvation Creek in the early 1980s with a 4" dredge. After the 83 bush fires you could see a small track all the way along next to the creek, and mounds of river rock. Heard that an American company wanted to open cut the whole creek but were refused

goldie
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Boxxy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxxy Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:08 pm

Thanks guys for the reply.
Cheers for the info Goldie do you know if Starvation Creek is off limits or is there some areas still available.

Boxxy
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2023-01-04

Back to top Go down