Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning coins?

4 posters

Go down

Cleaning coins? Empty Cleaning coins?

Post  cabletie Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:17 pm

Sorry not gold related, well I guess there are gold coins to be found lol. Iv been hearing a lot of different ways to clean coins you find but a lot of people can’t agree on one method. So what’s the definite answer to correctly clean a coin you find?
cabletie
cabletie
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2012-08-12

https://youtu.be/s_5Td2wPusA

Back to top Go down

Cleaning coins? Empty Re: Cleaning coins?

Post  Axtyr Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:01 am

I know it's harsh but I use steel wool dipped in hydrochloric acid. I have been doing this for years.

A lot of it would depend on the condition of the coin and whether I only want to identify it. Everyone will disagree with the way I clean them but I don't get a lot of coins and it is quick, especially on the copper ones. I usually either drop the coin in an acid bath for a few seconds then take it out and scrub it, or put it in my palm and scrub it with the acid and steel wool. Obviously it must be done quickly as it starts to burn. It is very effective on copper and Chinese brass coins. The silver coins usually need a bit of scrubbing to remove the build up of crud.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:37 am

With pure silver coins I've used the aluminium foil and a good dollop of spit trick.
Place the coin in the foil with saliva and press firmly with your thumb and pointer finger for a while.
You'll feel a bit of heat build up with a hint of rotten egg gas, purist's will poo poo this method??
If it's rare and valuable seek professional advice.

cheers    moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1864
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:45 pm

Do the minimum to see the date and mint mark. If worth keeping soak in mild soapy and remove dirt with no rubbing. If not a key coin just throw it in an diluted acid and later brush with an old toothbrush.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down