Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spring detecting

+4
moredeep
G.B.
granite2
hapalogh
8 posters

Go down

Spring detecting Empty Spring detecting

Post  soldier of fortune Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:08 pm

It`s been awhile since i posted here. I am normally just an autumn and winter detectorist and panner ,but with the way things have been in the last couple of years , i haven`t been out much .
I am a solo operator and going bush in the warmer months brings the greater risk of encountering snakes . The grass is growing and getting thick around my area ( Ballarat ). Even the CFA burns from last year are getting overgrown. I don`t feel safe swinging a detector alone in these conditions of long grass and warm sunshine. Getting bitten when out in the scrub alone could be fatal. Even with gators on , it is still a risk.
Does anyone else share this sentiment or are you happy to have a swing alone ?

soldier of fortune
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2020-05-17

hapalogh likes this post

Back to top Go down

Spring detecting Empty Re: Spring detecting

Post  moredeep Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:57 pm

Hi soldier, yep have had similar concerns, I wear leather gators, thick jeans, and knee pads and I don't put my hands in area's that I can't see in.
I carry 2 full size compression bandages that can go from toe to upper thigh and always check if I have phone reception.
To be honest in all the years I have been detecting I've only come across 3 snakes and they took off quicker than me.
One occasion I just stood very very still and let the blighter pass me, it took a lot of will power not to go affraid and run like the wind.

cheers   moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1869
Registration date : 2018-05-23

AnnieL and hapalogh like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  hapalogh Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:15 pm

About 20 years ago i was a line and pole inspector checking a farmers swer line pole,and said to my off sider with all these rocks around the pole there might be snakes underneath, as we cleared rocks around pole,a 12" green snake took off like a rocket and you could see how fast he went as the grass parted.  If a snake had come after you and you had a head start he would catch you very quick. i aggree with you Moredeep.

Another time in Bendigo on the outskirts ,their was a small area of land and the pole was on one side in long grass, as we started digging around the pole we found all these baby field mice so i said to my co worker, dont kill them ,and started picking them up and set them aside in the long grass,when all of a sudden about 1/2 a dozen baby snakes took of f in all directions ,dont know how we did not get bitten,but my co worker took off down the street, and i tell you i was not far behind him. Anyway decided we wont continue testing and checking this one. Shocked

PS Soldier i agree you should always have a companion with you.

Last edited by hapalogh on Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a PS)

hapalogh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2013-04-19

moredeep and PeterInSa like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:29 am

Had my share of unnerving encounters with snake and one thing that stands out is most of them happened whilst I was walking not detecting.If you are detecting slowly they tend to move along though I've still had to be aware not to step on them sun baking or uncover them when moving rocks etc.Haven't seen any this year yet but won't be long.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

hapalogh, moredeep and PeterInSa like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  soldier of fortune Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:44 am

Good thought on the long bandages Moredeep. I have them ,but not as much of it as you. I went after relics on private property last year and took my father who doesn`t detect. While standing at a dam edge he went to pick up a big stick at his feet and it took off at pace . So lucky.
My old prospecting partner did the wrong thing by me several times ,so that is why i fly solo. It is also good for the mental health. Right now a lot of us need it.

soldier of fortune
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:13 am

I have been prospecting for 42 years and can count the number of snakes I have encountered on one hand. And none were close calls. I guess I make a lot of noise😄
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1842
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Rockwall, moredeep and soldier of fortune like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:45 pm

I got rattled by the last one,had trouble sleeping that night seriously took me a while to get the confidence back up.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  soldier of fortune Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:42 pm

I take it you may nearly have stepped on it ?

soldier of fortune
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  G.B. Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:02 pm

I grew up on a farm next to a swamp and tigers were nearly a daily occurence for the warmer months.

Out bush most I come across are browns but I find if you leave them alone they'll leave you alone. If a snake takes fright it will generally take of in a straight line and if you or someone else is in it's path then it can give you a bit of a fright or a bit of a laugh depending on if it's heading towards you or heading towards your mate.
G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1268
Registration date : 2012-01-31

granite2, moredeep and soldier of fortune like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  soldier of fortune Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:12 pm

I have had copperheads , tiger and black snakes around my place . I busted one stalking my sleeping cat a few years ago and another small black one i somehow saw in the shadows at night outside my front door. He got away ,but bit one of my other cats on the way out. She survived after vet treatment . When i am out swinging , i am usually pretty focused and try to walk slow to cover the ground properly, so my footsteps may not be as loud as others. I have however been out in the summer going over CFA burns after they have been declared safe.

soldier of fortune
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

granite2 and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:41 pm

mozzie's and inch ant's are more of concern, they're becoming very active affraid

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1869
Registration date : 2018-05-23

granite2 and soldier of fortune like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:42 pm

soldier of fortune wrote:I take it  you may nearly have stepped on it ?
Actually I walked into it after it raised itself about waist high,we both were so startled we headed in opposite directions.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  soldier of fortune Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:22 pm

That is truly scary .

soldier of fortune
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  akko Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:21 pm

Hi soldier of fortune, i have detected alone at times during spring and summer.
I make sure to wear gators and carry bandages, also carry my PLB especially if there is no phone reception.
Not advisable be walking back to your car or camp to raise the alarm as you will be speeding up the effect of the poison.
Be safe out there.

akko
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2012-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:41 am

i detect all through summer up here in NQ and have only seen one brown snake in my time i do shy away from thicker bushes and shrubs and/ or enter with care and yeah gators and a PLB are a must Very Happy

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

AnnieL and Rockwall like this post

Back to top Go down