Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outback is " Actually Full of Dust and Corrugated Roads"

3 posters

Go down

Outback is " Actually Full of Dust and Corrugated Roads" Empty Outback is " Actually Full of Dust and Corrugated Roads"

Post  PeterInSa Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:44 am

What about the outback tracks with broken tree branches that can cut thru the side wall of your tyres like a knife thru butter.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-24/tetchy-tourists-unsure-about-outback-internet-food-supply/100394982

PeterInSa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2018-11-05

geof_junk, charliec and pablop like this post

Back to top Go down

Outback is " Actually Full of Dust and Corrugated Roads" Empty Re: Outback is " Actually Full of Dust and Corrugated Roads"

Post  pablop Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:14 am

Great link.
One piece of advice that I give to anyone planning on some outback travel, is to do so in company as hopefully they can assist you directly or get other help if needed. I have been stuck caretaking on a Pilbara property for 3 months due to rain causing damage to tracks and as I was by myself, I didn't attempt to get out until the tracks were passable.
pablop
pablop
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2015-01-17

Back to top Go down

Outback is " Actually Full of Dust and Corrugated Roads" Empty Re: Outback is " Actually Full of Dust and Corrugated Roads"

Post  geof_junk Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:16 pm

Tyres can be a big problems of the tarmac. Many 4WD have tyres that do not have steel side walls. I had over a dozen side wall punchers in three months with so called All Terrane tyres this was reduced to Zero for two years with Steel side walls. Most of the punchers were by dry wood like Sandalwood.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2008-11-11

hiluxer, Rockwall, moredeep and PeterInSa like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterInSa Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:05 pm

Further to Rob and Geof's comments above;
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-07/4wds-too-high-tech-to-survive-in-outback:-expert/5725856

Around 18 months ago spoke to an owner of a very popular Twin Cab and he only went bush with another vehicle as he was wary of breakdowns and cost of recovery.

Apologies just noticed the above ABC comment is x years old.,

PeterInSa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2018-11-05

Back to top Go down