Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where to find gold in Vic New areas..

5 posters

Go down

Where to find gold in Vic New areas.. Empty Where to find gold in Vic New areas..

Post  Vb4meta Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:14 pm

Ok what some ppl need is guidance on new areas in vic to look, since I started out prospecting as an eight year old kid in the 80S with me old man and a garrett ads111 Ive seen a few places a few detectors and chased a bit of gold.
So in the interests of new prospectors I would like to start this thread and keep it going with new gold fields to explore.
This is my contribution.
Seymour in vic.
In the paddocks and farmland around Seymour Ive recently seen a few nuggets come outta there averaging 25 ounces and not many ppl know this, so anyone up that way get out yer maps and check the old workings and some not so old areas for a good time.

will add to this more places of interest..

Vb4meta
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2010-10-13

Back to top Go down

Where to find gold in Vic New areas.. Empty Re: Where to find gold in Vic New areas..

Post  kon61 Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:54 pm

G'day Vb4meta.

It's funny you should say (averaging 25 oz).Now please don't misinterpret what I'm trying to say and I'm not here to dispute what you've seen,but its rare to find a bloke who will actually give out information of where they found 2.5gms of gold,not alone 25oz slugs. Several years back whilst talking to Tom Bennet(one of the authors of the book called "The Golden Ointment"),told me that,where ever you hear of big nuggets found in a particular spot or area,drop a 180deg and you'll most likely hit the jackpot.

Cheers kon61.

Last edited by kon61 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Where to find gold in Vic New areas.. Empty Re: Where to find gold in Vic New areas..

Post  Vb4meta Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:59 pm

Ive been doing this most of my life and I am just over the bullshit of stating whats where and all the fighting that goes on between prospectors so if I know something I will post it.I said averaging so take that as higher or lower than 25 and average it out.
I have the opinion that if someone is prepared to actually go bush and put the effort in then I will help em out..of course some of those areas are om farmers land so ask first.

Vb4meta
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:09 pm

Vb4meta. I appreciate your information and my comments were not meant to be offensive or spiteful in any way.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Vb4meta Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:14 pm

Its all good mate and I hear the Grampians National park is producing nice gold especially out of the gullies close to some of the creeks, but as we all know its a National park.
Mate I have seen the prospecting scene getting a little heated over the years so the best way foward is co operation.
I stopped in at Clunes on my way back last week and all this rain has seriously eroded creek banks in the area and I grabbed some nice specimens in half a day from the exposed areas, the rains coming so give it a week or two again before the water level goes down and it should give some nice finds.

Vb4meta
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:36 pm

Clunes?;Considering I've hit Talbot on more than one occasion,yet,Ive never prospected in and around Clunes itself. Now that's one area I'll keep in mind.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:13 am

Kon, it's the frogs that give wrong directions.... their sneaky too, often they make it only 90 out, not 180 to keep you guessing.

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:19 am

G'day Ferrousfinder.

Laughing You've hit the jackpot. So that's where Ive been going wrong.From now on its 90 not 180.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:28 am

Boys if your gonna prospect today enjoy it while it lasts.Tomorrow ain't looking good (weather wise).There's a heavy low front moving in across the state.Looks like some heavy rain coming our way.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:27 am

VB,
on behalf of all we newbies, thanks for any tips !
I have recently directed a portion of my meagre superannuation towards a 5000, a new pick and a B&Z kit, and am looking forward to the Minelab training day in Talbot next w/e. Might as well spend it whilst one can still enjoy it, I reckon. bounce
I expect the retirement nugget sometime Sunday arvo. Rolling Eyes

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post  everhopeful Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:33 am

Hi Phil..stay home Sunday..cos I'm gonna get it Saturday...LOL

everhopeful
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2010-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Vb4meta Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:40 am

Between Smythesdale and Linton I know theres beeen close to 20 ounces found in total in the last week alone in supposed worked ground so as far as I can see its game on with the new series detectors.

Vb4meta
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Cabe Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:55 pm

Just wondering if anybody is Prospecting full time? i know u need a bit of Cash to start off but could u give me a run down of how u might go through u'r preparation and some of the cost's involved say month to month ..as i am very keen on making the change in the next two years...after reading some of the post's i guess most people would like to keep locations and some tips close to there hearts which well make very good sense
If everybody was doing it the cost of Gold would Probably Drop a bit i guess. But i know only around 5% of the worlds Gold has been found so there's till loads out there i plane on hunting around the Rushworth area as i know the area very well. I don't think im really giving much away in saying that.

Cabe
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:08 pm

Found my biggest ever nugget at Talbot Koni, very close to the main road too.....

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:50 pm

G'day Panther.

Yeah that be right.Some of my better finds have been on the flats near the main dirt tracks and close to where I'd parked the car. Both the areas surrounding Blacksmiths & Nuggety gully have been kind to me,yeilding both nuggets and specimens in the past.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  bencld Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:42 pm

Ah, I live in Seymour and have access to vast amounts of data (mapping source, history etc) and can find NO reference to nuggets being found in this area. The only nuggets that would of come from around here would have been Aboriginal drops (they were known to carry nuggets around) or drops/hides from prospectors moving from one goldfield to another. The closest gold bearing ground I know of from here (nuggets) would be Heathcote or Rushworth. They did get gold in the Goulburn but from Yea and Alex (UT creek etc).

I would be interested if there is any info on nuggets in this area that I am not aware of.

Chris.
bencld
bencld
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down