Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SDC2300 cheat sheet

+2
Kon61gold
The Dr
6 posters

Go down

SDC2300 cheat sheet Empty SDC2300 cheat sheet

Post  The Dr Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:30 pm

First time here and recently purchased but not used as yet. Someone said I should look for a cheat sheet on the net, assuming help full hints for the sdc2300. Anyone has any knowledge on this? Can you test the machine at home or do you need to be away from interference? Thanks
The Dr
The Dr
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2021-03-05

Back to top Go down

SDC2300 cheat sheet Empty Re: SDC2300 cheat sheet

Post  Kon61gold Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:57 pm

G'day Dr, welcome to the forum.

There will be to much Electromagnetic Interference trying to test the SDC2300 from your back yard. You have to be reasonably far away from any major overhead power lines.
Get on the web & download the Minelab pdf instruction manual for the SDC 2300. It will tell you everything you need to know on how to best use the 2300 & over where.

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4514
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

The Dr likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:32 pm

Very Happy

Last edited by davsgold on Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparrowfart Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:23 pm

Hi Doc, you tube is a great source of info also. You can use the SDC under power lines but it can be a bit noisy. Dam anoying sometimes, I've found lots of gold under power lines, so it can be done.
Sparrowfart
Sparrowfart
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 564
Registration date : 2010-08-14

The Dr likes this post

Back to top Go down

SDC2300 cheat sheet Empty Thanks

Post  The Dr Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:30 pm

Thanks Kon, I thought that may have been the situation.
I have downloaded the manual but have not read at this point, next job.

Thanks Dave, I purchased of Gumtree but only 8 months old and has the Lithium.
Although I was looking at obtaining some "C" batteries as back up, just in case.
All going well I may obtain another Lithium.
It did come across as being the best and easiest in regards to reviews etc, I am good with simple.
Heading off at Easter with 2 clubs, the big test of if I like it or not but hopefully will obtain a quick rundown from some of the members.

Thanks Sparrow! Yes have watched several youtubes so looking forward in trying myself.

Thanks All, Robert
The Dr
The Dr
New Poster
New Poster

geof_junk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  hoolahoopa Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:35 pm

Awesome detector.
Mate run it on the 4 setting or 5 if you can on sensitivity.
Volume on 3-4.
SCRUB!!! the coil.
After finding a bit of gold invest in a steel phase enhancer it does help a bit but is not necessary.
Good luxk

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

The Dr likes this post

Back to top Go down

SDC2300 cheat sheet Empty Hoola

Post  The Dr Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:17 am

Thanks Hoola.
SCRUB the coil! Does that mean something?
Looked at the phase enhancer, looks good but will wait to make sure I push on with this but looking forward to Easter.
Regards Robert
The Dr
The Dr
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:09 am

Very Happy

Last edited by davsgold on Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

SDC2300 cheat sheet Empty SCRUB the coil

Post  The Dr Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:15 am

Thanks Dave, That makes seance as noted this on the several Youtubes viewed as well as the current plate well scratched but a new heavy duty was included.
Initially I was not happy about the wear but when realizing it is a replaceable cover and that's the way it is done, all is good.
Have a good week. Robert
The Dr
The Dr
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  hoolahoopa Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:55 pm

Buy a knuckle protector too. The minelab ones are great and you get 2. My friend had a 700 buck bill from minelab for fixing his due to the crap minelab design

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:42 am

I think scrubbing the coil on the ground is a wasted effort. The ground in the gold fields is very uneven and getting all of the coil on the ground at one time is next to impossible plus scrubbing causes static electric sparks which can sound like itty bitty bits of gold and have you chasing ghost signals.
    Also the amount of tiny gold  that you may find  ).02 - 0.15g by scrubbing will be well and truly outweighed by the costs of replacing the scrub plate on a regular basis. Also the time you wast trying to locate a kitchy bit of gold somewhere under the coil would be better spent covering more ground looking for larger gold. But at the end of an larger gold non productive day you may give the tiny bits a bit of a go and spend the last hour looking for coil scrubber size gold. Very Happy
      Or you could scrub to your hearts content all day and see how you go, you may just prove all of the above totally incorrect.  Laughing
I do a lot of beach detecting now and because the entire coil surface can contact the sand I do scrub at the beach when wanting to locate small gold chains....The 2300 is very good at the beach.

Don't swing the detector like a cricket bat. Go low and slowly maybe .5 to 1.5 mtr per sec. If you swing fast you will only find very large and deep nugs and these are very very few and far between for the weekend searcher.....or for anybody else for that matter. I spent many years in the gold fields and my largest bit was 2 and a bit oz.....Okay Okay there might have been a few thousand of them but that is not the point aye. Laughing .....Just kidding just kidding.Very Happy
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4364
Registration date : 2015-07-03

moredeep and The Dr like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:22 am

cheers

Last edited by davsgold on Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dr Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:33 am

Thanks Adrian & Dave,
All taken on board, I am just hoping to find something, not concerned on size at this point.
Good to hear you have found quiet a bit of all sizes.
The Dr
The Dr
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:57 am

Fair enough Dave. I was expecting some disagreement although I have had some light lightning like responses from the 2300 when brushing through very dry grass in hot weather. As far as gold size is concerned the smallest bit that I have got a response from is approx 0.04g (incontact with the coil)
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4364
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparrowfart Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:51 pm

HI Dr, I am a serial coil scrubber! I even scrub the coil on the 7000, works fine. I have done exstensive comparisions between scrubbing and not scrubbing on the SDC and there is a big difference to be had. Possibly more so with the SDC than many other detectors due to the fact that the SDC (for me) has a big difference between general noise and a signal. The SDC is my favorite tecta to use as it is so ovious if there is a real target there or not. However I run the sensitivity at about "3", I cannot speak for higher settings as I seldom run them. once you get your "ear" in you may come to love it also, particularly if you are finding a bit. bounce
Sparrowfart
Sparrowfart
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Pebbles Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:22 pm

Not wishing to rehash old arguments and to add some balance to this thread, my preference is for not scrubbing the coil.

I can categorically say that there have been deeper targets that would have been missed due to the signal being masked by the sound of the coil scraping the surface. Yes, I use quality headphones.

The SDC will (most times) clearly detect any surface/near surface targets. It is the deeper targets that may often only be heard as a faint whisper or a repeatable change in the threshold.
By all means, keep the coil as close to the ground as possible and don’t worry if you brush a rock or the surface occasionally.

Pebbles
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-06-04

xmas tree likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparrowfart Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:08 pm

Hi Pebbles, I hear what you are saying and it is true, however I use Bose noise canceling headphones and on the SDC they amplify the signal quite a bit and I can hear the singals quite well under most circumstances. I wear socks over the ear pieces as they also amplifies wind noise and the socks quieten things down again. Very Happy
So I guess there are those that do and those that don't. As usual each to his own.
Sparrowfart
Sparrowfart
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down