Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF: Knee replacements and detecting

3 posters

Go down

RF: Knee replacements and detecting Empty RF: Knee replacements and detecting

Post  dundiggin Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:09 am

Hi, As I'm booked in for a knee replacement this month, I am wondering how those of the detecting fraternity who have replacement knees are faring with their new knees.. For instance:- walking in the bush stepping over fallen trees, branches etc, kneeling down to recover targets, does the metal joint interfere with signals??? How long after the op were they able to handle detecting circumstances, are they able to scrape dirt back into the hole with the foot of the leg with the replacement knee??? Candid info would certainly b e appreciated... dundiggin

dundiggin
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2018-05-12

Nightjar likes this post

Back to top Go down

RF: Knee replacements and detecting Empty Re: RF: Knee replacements and detecting

Post  Nightjar Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:01 am

On the 22nd of this month it will 12 months since my op on right kne. Haven't turned my detector on in this time. Walking is not a problem but have to crouch down on left knee. If I try to fold my op knee past 120° excruciating pain. Two mates have got replacements and they are enjoying a normal life. I drew a short straw.
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

RF: Knee replacements and detecting Empty Re: RF: Knee replacements and detecting

Post  boobook Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:03 pm

It may depend on how much metal compared to "plastic" there is incorporated into the replacement joint.
I have a titanium rod, from the top of the tibia to the ankle joint in my left leg. (much lower than the knee joint)
When detecting, (gpx4500) I have no falsing signals unless stepping over a fallen tree branch, left leg leading and the coil being swung to the left.

That quick, positive sounding chirp is quite disconcerting. The first couple of times it happened I spent quite some chasing a non existing target. Sad
I think you will not find any problems detecting, its only when as Nightjar says, lack of angle mobility is the bloody nuisance.
My wife had both knees replaced together near 15 years ago with no ongoing problems at all. Smile
mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

RF: Knee replacements and detecting Empty RE: knee replavements and detecting

Post  dundiggin Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:36 am

Hi there Nightjar. I'm sorry you feel you drew the short straw.. But with surgery there is always a risk of things not ending up the way we expect.. And to not wave the wand for over a year perhaps is as much agony.. Do the clinicians think your situation will improve or is it the best it will ever get?? Did you complete the physio exercises as prescribed?? Gully rakeing could be a real problem if the knee can't bend.. A female friend who had both done is fairly happy about it but she too has reduced flexibility, but she is pretty happy not having constant pain.. I guess I'll find out about it all after the 23rd of this month.. So far remaining positive.. All the best Nightjar, thanks for the info and I hope it improves.. dundiggin

dundiggin
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

RF: Knee replacements and detecting Empty RE: knee replacements and detecting

Post  dundiggin Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:59 am

Hi boobook, After reading your post I think I'll have a another talk with the clinicians about the type of joint used in my case.. As a person fairly active in manual activity I'd hate to be forcefully retired because of the replacement.. As yet I'm pretty positive and will go ahead but it is good to know other's experiences so I thank you for replying..Apparently you don't let the reduced flexibility prevent the golden endeavors.. And that's a real plus!!! How long after the surgery were you again able to continue the golden hobby??? But as I conveyed to Nightjar I'm going to talk to the clinicians to understand more about the actual makeup of the joint... All the best and thank you again... dundiggin

dundiggin
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down