Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

North East Victoria

5 posters

Go down

North East Victoria Empty North East Victoria

Post  danwodonga Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:29 pm

Hi guys
I live in Wodonga and hitting a kangaroo on the way to Whipstick Bendigo last week has stuffed my car for a month, so I am looking locally for a while.

I am a TROVE addict, and have done so much research on local historical mining, but have very little to go on in the way of geological mining maps of Wodonga.
There are heaps of Yack, Beechworth, Eldorado, Sebastapol, Mitta, Bright and Chiltern but nothing of Wodonga.

I am interested in Huon Hill, House Creek, Fell Timber Creek and Bonegilla areas.

Anyone point me in a right direction please? I am a member of the Wodonga Historical Society, but they don't have any relevant maps.
Cheers
Dan

danwodonga
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2020-10-16

Back to top Go down

North East Victoria Empty Re: North East Victoria

Post  Axtyr Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:44 am

G'day Dan.

Bethanga had some mining activity many years ago. It wasn't diggings per se, just a local mine. Just over the Bethanga bridge on the Victorian side. I don't know exactly where it is or if it resides on private property as I've only seen a map of it in Doug Stone's book Gold Prospecting. The map dates from 1908 so it is probably on private property.
It might be too far still for now but maybe worth a look in the future.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  danwodonga Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:32 am

Thanks Axtyr

I went up Fell Timber Creek Wodonga yesterday. Was hard going through the long grass.
This creek gave up a fair bit of alluvial gold in the late 1800's, but not enough to cause a rush. I don't know where the mine shafts are, but reports are that there has always been gold in the gullies around there
I only found scrap metal.
Had the SDC and the pinpointer in the creek hoping to find some in crevices, but came back empty and cold handed.

danwodonga
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2020-10-16

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:15 pm

Have you looked under historic areas on Geovic?
Not sure where Fell Timber Creek is but to the NW of wodonga there are historical workings Bethanga. If that doesn't help, try National Library of Australia here: =&submit=Find&limit[]=format%3AMap]NLA maps of Bonegilla
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  killermouse1974 Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:22 am

most of the old stuff at bethanga is in the official historic area rather than private land, but i have no idea if prospecting is allowed in that area. i live nearby, so it would be great to know if prospecting / detecting in the historic area is allowed. knowing where you can and can't go can be incredibly frustrating.
killermouse1974
killermouse1974
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2020-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Detectist Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:17 pm

Australian Geology Travel Maps, aka Trilobite Solutions shows some gold areas near Wodonga.

Some are subscription, some are free once you have the app. For phones but is offline accessible.

Detectist
Detectist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-27

moredeep and danwodonga like this post

Back to top Go down