Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ah.... Its all in the Timing

3 posters

Go down

Ah.... Its all in the Timing Empty Ah.... Its all in the Timing

Post  PeterInSa Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:28 pm

September Last year a mate detected a 1/2 Sovereign in the Vic Goldfields, me a 1863 3d along with one piece of very small yellow stuff, came across a big area of long grass, which we were going to detect this Easter.

Got over there 3rd June and some one had found 100+ targets, they had filled in the holes and the grass was just starting to grow, so they must have been there Feb/Early March (to me using Gold machines not Nox's). This area to me, had not been detecting on for maybe the last 50 years, because of all the small buried rubbish and we missed out by 4 months. Anyway we and our friends (using Nox 800's)found very old 3d x 3, pennies x 3,  a 6d, a token and what seem to be a token cut in half, along with a couple of interesting items and me a very small piece of the yellow stuff, further away with the Z. Some of the coins were that worn you could not see the date, the 6d was close to having no info at all just a flat round piece of metal.

Tried the Nox 800 on a small piece of test gold and it came up with a reading of 2, did not believe a bigger piece would come up with the same figure so when I came across a reading of 2, gave it a miss in the nearby goldfields (only digging over 20's with the Nox) so probably walked away from gold on the 2 readings( my theory at the time was silver/copper reads higher than 23, Gold used on electronic products so it should be up there also, But its I understand used because it does not tarnish with a conductivity less than silver)

Contact with Victorians, going there/back filled up at Horsham, used wipes after fillup and over there only spoke to a Vic Landowner and Company Geologist in the bush both 5m apart, other than that only our SA Friends for the 2 weeks. A great trip, great bush location, great memories and just about completed our 14 day lock up. SA Police knocked on our door 2 days after we got back to confirm that we were self isolating and also 2 days ago.

Peter

PeterInSa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2018-11-05

AnnieL and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Ah.... Its all in the Timing Empty Re: Ah.... Its all in the Timing

Post  deutran Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:42 pm

(But its I understand used because it does not tarnish with a conductivity less than silver)
Yes its principle use its on contacts to stop the high resistance joint.Because the coating is so thin the poor conductivity is insignificant.We always found gold to be similar to lead in conductivity and used a 5 cent coin as a test on our early detectors.
I had a solid round gold nugget about the size of a marble and it would start to cut out about half scale on the GPX in discriminate.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

moredeep and PeterInSa like this post

Back to top Go down

Ah.... Its all in the Timing Empty Re: Ah.... Its all in the Timing

Post  Minermike Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:47 pm

Found out that the relo's   on my mother's  side had the brewery  in St .Arnaud  in the early days .   Will have a look for the info .   Been there many years ago , when I lived in the Mallee  . Went with the local Anglican priest , had a counter lunch in the pub .
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down