Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not much but at least it's a find.

+5
GOLDGASM
Travelergold
moredeep
adrian ss
Axtyr
9 posters

Go down

Not much but at least it's a find. Empty Not much but at least it's a find.

Post  Axtyr Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:25 am

G’day everyone.

It’s been so long since anyone posted a find I thought I would do so even though it’s not much to show.

I went out on the 27th of February.

I fought my way past some saplings into some more open ground and got a super loud signal. It was obviously on the surface. I scraped the surface and still in the ground. A good scrape with the pick and it was still there. It was so loud that it was obviously rubbish, but I kept telling myself that if it was gold I didn’t want to nick it with the pick. I dug around the edges of the signal but it hadn’t moved. Some more digging around the edges and it was still there. I can’t remember exactly what I did then but I must have scraped the surface again with the pick. When I put the coil over the area it had moved.

I could then see a shape that looked out of place, like a piece of that blocky slaty rock you get in the goldfields. I picked it up and waved it over the coil and got a blast in the ears. It was so grey I was sure it was lead. I rubbed it but still looked like lead. A couple more rubs and no change so I put some water over it. Now it’s gold. Excellent. Looked like it should go an ounce.

I now carry a set of scales in my pack so I switched them on and put the piece on the scales. Just over 100 grams. That couldn’t be right. I started again and tared the scales and again it showed just over 100 grams.
What a potty mouth I have. I couldn’t believe it. 3.22 ounces of gold. It was a solid slug, not pretty but SOLID. As for the rest of the day I spent searching the immediate area but nothing more.
Not much but at least it's a find. KYBNshv

Not much but at least it's a find. BCYYMIH

There wasn’t a great deal of recent activity there but I can see why it was left behind. 10 metres to the left there were empty .22 cases all over the place. Behind me there were several rusty cans. Not far from where I got the nugget I dug up a rusty lid.

I’m sure someone must have detected it and dismissed it as rubbish, something I probably would have done had I gone over those rubbish areas before getting to the nugget. Thankfully this one had my name written all over it. I was disappointed that I still found only one piece for the day.

Everyone I show the nugget to asks if I have melted down all my little pieces, but no I haven’t. I thought that maybe it had been done by a digger during the gold rush and he had lost it, but it doesn’t look like it. I have checked it over with a loupe and it is definitely not cast gold. It’s all natural.

I went back and where the empty cartridge cases were I found 5 projectiles. It looks like someone just stood there and fired 5 shots into the same spot. Nothing else was found.

I did put in on the Minelab website for Find of the Month while I was in Perth.

Enjoy and drool.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Chookfoot likes this post

Back to top Go down

Not much but at least it's a find. Empty Re: Not much but at least it's a find.

Post  adrian ss Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:11 am

Very nice mate and a great example of why you should not dismiss a big signal as rubbish.
Interesting shape, flat and worn smooth ish. Looks like it has travelled some distance and maybe from a shallow lead
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4350
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:01 am

Nice going Axtyr,it's sometimes worth persevering in those junky areas,great find.
It would make a nice bling necklace or if desperate a gold TOOTH Laughing Laughing
Thanks for sharing.

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1861
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Travelergold Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:58 am

Well done on your find. Would have loved to see the smile on your dial too. Maybe not pretty, but gold all the same.

Travelergold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2017-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  GOLDGASM Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:15 am

Bloody hell you done well there ax, in my opinion some of the most beautiful vic gold is the flat waterworn stuff.the texture of yours looks a bit scaly, when there are smooth that’s the ultimate.congrats!

GOLDGASM
GOLDGASM
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2011-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:30 pm

Good on you Axtyr, superb find, well done. cheers

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:41 pm

Very nice nug there Axtyr. T06 You would have to be happy with that nice slug. T25 Thanks for sharing your nice find.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:22 pm

Not much but at least it's a find. 4a380410

Congrats on such a fantastic find!!!!!

Thanks for sharing

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:10 am

WOW!! Excellent find Axtyr T06 Persistance pays off when you're detecting amongst the junk cheers
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Hey presto Sat May 09, 2020 12:28 pm

OMG. When I first seen the photo I thought it was a few grams ( not familiar with the size of the coil in the photo ). Super jealous and feel bad for walking away from rubbish piles in the past. But that said it’s so demoralising digging rubbish all day. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. I might go charge my battery for when restrictions lift.
Hey presto
Hey presto
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2011-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Mal57 Sat May 09, 2020 8:46 pm

I will never dismiss anything as being a 22 bullet again.

Mal57

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2019-05-22

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum