Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gotta Spot....maybe?

4 posters

Go down

Gotta Spot....maybe? Empty Gotta Spot....maybe?

Post  Nuggerty Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:44 pm

On one of my walks in nowhere I noted some interesting geology on the top of a hill, loose surface quartz, basalt sheaths of rock and a change from grey sandy loam to rich red clay soil. Haven't seen this around the area before, so wondered.......BUT there is no real history of gold in the area.

Should a take my detector for a swing around, or check out some of the adjacent watersheds???

Nuggerty

Nuggerty
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2019-10-29

Back to top Go down

Gotta Spot....maybe? Empty Re: Gotta Spot....maybe?

Post  piston broke Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:02 am

Why not go for a swing. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Let us know how it goes. cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:30 pm

G'day Nuggerty

Many an area/locality were abandoned for far richer gold bearing localities elsewhere & were never mentioned. It is these type of localities today that were once considered poor returns for the miners, that can be very profitable to the detectorists.
Many an area/locality has to some degree gold scattered about, near the surface or at some level within soil. Whether it is detectable &/or within reach of ones detector/coil combo, is the million dollar question? Shocked  
It also pays to look/check out the surrounding ground carefully, looking for any signs of past gold workings, around or within the nearby vicinity.

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  hugh62 Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:14 pm

Yeah I probably would ,but things I do in aurfferous looking ground ,I always carry a loupe and check out as much rock as possible ,see if its carrying anything ,pyrites etc ,take some home and dolly up ,if you can carry some water in with you to do a bit of loaming ,I also keep in the back of my mind too ,that the area may only produce ''Primary /fine / flour type of Gold '' rather than nice secondary alluvial type for our detectors to pick up . also look around for any alluvial rock in the area ,any water courses in the area for panning / crevicing / running the detector over the floor /walls .I think half the battle in the hunt ,is trying to visualize / imagine what that piece of country would have looked liked when it was formed .
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down