Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ugly bit of crystalline gold specimen

+2
moredeep
Gold dawg
6 posters

Go down

Ugly bit of crystalline gold specimen Empty Ugly bit of crystalline gold specimen

Post  Gold dawg Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:15 pm

Ugly bit of crystalline gold specimen Img_2017

Gold dawg
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2019-11-27

Back to top Go down

Ugly bit of crystalline gold specimen Empty Re: Ugly bit of crystalline gold specimen

Post  moredeep Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:41 pm

nice going gold dawg,should clean up very nice.
appreciate a final pic of it spic and span.
thanks for posting.

cheers  moredeep

ps no gold is ugly Laughing
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Ugly bit of crystalline gold specimen Empty Re: Ugly bit of crystalline gold specimen

Post  AnnieL Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:54 pm

Nice find Very Happy ⛏⛏
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold dawg Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:26 pm

Thanks guys 🤗 not sure how to clean it up really. Its quite fragile. I thought the host rock was ironstone but after a water wash it appears its possibly laterite? Not sure but. Got a couple small nuggety bits as well which are in acid now

Gold dawg
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:51 am

Nice find dawg. Should clean up well after a few days bath in Hydrochloric acid, followed by an ultrasonic clean.

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4514
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:10 pm

Hi Gold dwg
As above soak in Hydrochloric for a day or 2 then rinse.Then pour boiling water over a few times to expand the gold and brush away the loose rock with a toothbrush Repeat entire process until perfect may take 3 or 4 times.Yes please post after.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold dawg Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:53 pm

Thanks for advice guys. I'll try that out. Would the hydrochloric acid eat into the rock? If it does the speci may fall apart.
I'll get photo of one other nuggets I got near the specimen. It is a trigold type. I think that's the name. There were several others with the triangle crystals on them but are so tiny.

Gold dawg
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:35 pm

Yes it will if the rock consists of an ironstone/ferrite mixture. HCL acid is notorious for the breaking down of iron. It don't always mean that your nugget will end up in pieces. Sometimes it comes out as a one piece honey combed type structure, with unique character. That's the chance you have to take or leave it in its matrix form (host rock as is). Very rarely have I had one similar, which came apart in more than two pieces, but neither can I guarantee you that it won't.

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4514
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold dawg Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:39 pm

Ugly bit of crystalline gold specimen Img_2022

Gold dawg
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold dawg Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:05 pm

Ugly bit of crystalline gold specimen Img_2024

Gold dawg
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold dawg Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:08 pm

I just cleaned it with a toothbrush. I think its about as good as I can get it. If I use acid I reckon it'll fall apart. Anyway apparently 12 grams of gold in it. A local gold dealer in Kalgoorlie wants it and he's offering pretty good money for it 🤗

Gold dawg
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:15 pm

It's nice looking AU GD
It's always hard to part with ones hard earned toils,if ya need the dosh then sell it.
Otherwise keep building your empire for the next big depression Shocked Laughing

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:04 pm

ugly or not mate, nice work Cool

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down