Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Victorian Miners Right

+4
spinna
kon61
angus
dock
8 posters

Go down

Victorian Miners Right  Empty Victorian Miners Right

Post  dock Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:06 am

Having just purchased a second hand metal detector I thought I should get a mining right and was pleasantly surprised to be able to get one for 10 years instead of the current 2 years. The cost was $83.65 which works out a hell of a lot cheaper and I don't have to remember to renew it every couple of years.

The idea of a right as opposed to a licence also appealed as a licence sounds like something that can be revoked at the whim of the government of the day. But it also seems that we have to be vigilant as to those rights as I also picked up a couple of PMAV newsletters from where I got my miners right (Benalla DPI). They appear to be very cynical of our current state government. Having been in earthmoving and quarrying all my life I know that dealing with bureacracy of any persuasion is the bane of ones existence and seems only to be put in place to stop you from doing any work. Thats why I like the idea of detecting, getting out into the bush away from all the penpushers. Oh well will have to see how it works out as I have yet to learn how to drive the new toy.

dock
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-10-10

Back to top Go down

Victorian Miners Right  Empty Re: Victorian Miners Right

Post  angus Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:23 am

Bargain . should be able to recoupe that $83.65 over ten years, you would hope anyway
Good luck with the new toy , what did you get ?
Cheers Angus
angus
angus
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:45 am

G'day Dock.

Welcome to the forum. Just like any other out door sport or hobie, 99% of people involved in those hobies do the right thing and abide by the relevant laws and regulations governing each state.Its always that 1% of people that don't comply with doing the right thing,which you can bet,lead to new laws and regulations being set up that make it harder for all the rest of us.I can only hope now that the Green movement which has more power to change laws,regarding forestry,stop and think for a moment as to the consequences that will befall on many,if their implementations are made only on account of the few.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Victorian Miners Right  Empty Miners Right

Post  spinna Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:22 pm

I have just returned to detecting after a 20 year break ( and hasn't technology changed ).
Have been detecting on private land and didn't think that a Miners Right would be required. But after checking on line, found out that in fact, a MR is required even when detecting on private land.
I was going to purchase a 2 year MR next week but thanks to Dock, will now go for the 10 year MR.
By the way Dock, welcome to the forum.
Cheers spinna

spinna
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  HueyDuck Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:42 pm

Hi Dock and welcome to the forum....The ten year licence had just come out and i did want to know if it was any cheaper but know one seemed to know, i could have chased it up but dock has just answered it. I thought at a hunch that it might be a bit cheaper but not by that much, that is really good value over the long term. Just like Kon61 was explaining i do the right thing and have so many licences for different things its incredible, it weighs my wallet down...My miners right runs out September 2011 then i will definately get a Ten year one... Very Happy ...

HueyDuck......
HueyDuck
HueyDuck
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post  everhopeful Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:03 am

Hi dock..your mate at Tuesdays meeting at the BEPS..this is a great site these guys are really helpful..looking forward to Nov 12th

everhopeful
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2010-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Birdman Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:33 pm

How many kilograms of samples are you allowed to take?
Birdman
Birdman
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2010-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:31 pm

G'day Birdman.

As long as no significant land disturbance is caused through hand digging,such as(changing a few hectares of bushland into a cleared leveled footy field), take as many kgs samples as you can carry.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:50 pm

kon61 wrote:
take as many kgs samples as you can carry.

I thought that you were only allowed to take 20kg per day, at least I'm sure that is what I've read. (maybe DPI website)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:14 pm

G'day GoldstalkerGPX.

You have read right that a Miners Right allows you to keep up to 20kg,of specimen rock samples,of any mineral in WA. I don't remember reading of any such law for Victoria.Then again it might be under some clause within a clause that I've neglected to read.
From what I've read,any significant land disturbance during hand digging operations,such as minor/major excavations(regarding holes etc,) must be back filled.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down