Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MT MAGNET / MEEKA - SMALL GOLD

2 posters

Go down

MT MAGNET / MEEKA - SMALL GOLD Empty MT MAGNET / MEEKA - SMALL GOLD

Post  Aussierat1 Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:07 pm

Hi All
I was chatting with a prospecting shop owner about a new coil - I mentioned that I have been prospecting three years around Mt Magnet - Meekatharra area and only found small gold. Lots of pieces, but nothing bigger than 3 gram.

He said that this area is known for small gold, with a new coil and suggested I head around Kalgoorlie, Coolgardi area.

Anybody have experience prospecting in this area and are you or have done found BIGGER gold?

Aussierat1
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2018-05-01

Back to top Go down

MT MAGNET / MEEKA - SMALL GOLD Empty Re: MT MAGNET / MEEKA - SMALL GOLD

Post  tony p Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:45 am

Areas are known for 'small gold' because that is whats being found these day's for the most part...also....a hell of a lot more small gold than large...just the law of averages. Obviously your advisor at the shop doesn't detect in those areas....Meeka particularly is well known for some monsters......as alway's....it's all the dirt in between.

tony p
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2018-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussierat1 Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:39 am

tony p wrote:Areas are known for 'small gold' because that is whats being found these day's for the most part...also....a hell of a lot more small gold than large...just the law of averages. Obviously your advisor at the shop doesn't detect in those areas....Meeka particularly is well known for some monsters......as alway's....it's all the dirt in between.

Tony p - thanks for taking the time to respond

I have GPX5000 detector - can you suggest a good coil for depth

Aussierat1
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  tony p Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:08 pm

I can't answer it without sounding like a smartarse.....'the best coil is the one you find gold with'...in other words...the coil/detector combo that you get to know very very well.

Other factors come in to it...your fitness level....what you are chasing etc etc.

I think one of the best 'all round coils' would be the 17 x 13 evo but ask 20 people and you will get 20 different answers. If your chasing big deep targets then large, round and mono would be your choice...Do you really want to be swinging a 20-25" round all day? You need to be working the 'right' kind of ground to make it worth the effort...Meeka is full of that kinda country

If you work out what you want from your prospecting..that will guide you towards a coil that suits.

tony p
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2018-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussierat1 Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:47 pm

tony p wrote:I can't answer it without sounding like a smartarse.....'the best coil is the one you find gold with'...in other words...the coil/detector combo that you get to know very very well.

Other factors come in to it...your fitness level....what you are chasing etc etc.

I think one of the best 'all round coils' would be the 17 x 13 evo but ask 20 people and you will get 20 different answers. If your chasing big deep targets then large, round and mono would be your choice...Do you really want to be swinging a 20-25" round all day? You need to be working the 'right' kind of ground to make it worth the effort...Meeka is full of that kinda country

If you work out what you want from your prospecting..that will guide you towards a coil that suits.

Many thanks, the EVO 17x13 is the one I am buying - Some have said the 24x12 EVO has a lot happening (signal, return, function) which can give some grief. The 17X13 Evo is more suited to mineralised ground.

Thanks again - have a good weekend and happy hunting

Aussierat1
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:20 pm

Hi
Run your machine over a test patch on different timings.That will give you an idea on what depth your getting.
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down