Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GP 3500 - is it worth modifying?

3 posters

Go down

GP 3500 - is it worth modifying? Empty GP 3500 - is it worth modifying?

Post  gim Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:37 pm

hi all
just wondering if its worth getting modifications done to my 3500,have herd good things and bad things, cant see myself getting a new 4500 just yet, picks up 1/2 gram peaces easy but nothing at 8 to 10inch like people are saying with the new 45s, just inquiery has there is many better detectorist out there than i am..gim..

gim
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

GP 3500 - is it worth modifying? Empty Re: GP 3500 - is it worth modifying?

Post  echidnadigger Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:12 am

The answer is quite simple, You haven't run the machine over a good deep one yet.
There is nothing wrong with a 3500, its a set and forget machine that has found hundreds if not thousands of ounces for the people that use them.
I don't know of a mod that makes them better other than use it as much as you can.
Good luck to you and don't feel under gunned. You have a ripper machine. I still have the same model and will for a little while yet.
Your choise of coil on the ground you are working does play a fair part in the whole scheme of things.
Keep in mind that since the release of the models after the 3500, mono's are now easier to use. There is a lot of talk about mono's being the only coil now but that is only where the new technology has taken the keen prospector with the models after the 3500.
Don't under estimate what you have, its still to this day a very good machine.
Brett.
echidnadigger
echidnadigger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:27 am

Gday Gim

The 3500 is a really good machine and I did well with mine, it will still hold its own against most machines and will still find lots of gold in the right hands, the best mods you can do for it yourself is to get it on a regulated battery system and fit a good booster/enhancer.

The standard 11" dd coil, set on mono (pseudo mono) is excellent on small pieces and it wont miss much at all, the coiltek 11 mono is a bit better but does not have the descrimination advantage if your working a junky area but will pick up almost everything, the 16" nuggetfinder mono is also very good on it, giving you good ground coverage and good depth as well, and lastly the older version of the minelab 8" mono will work well in rocky areas or on scrapings and mullock heaps.

I used the coiltek pocket rocket Li-ion battery system and the coiltek mini booster system on mine and found it to be the best combination for me, also the Koss td80 headphones are worthwhile as well.

I also looked at getting mods done to my machine but couldnt get any solid feedback on it, but there seemed to be more warning against getting anything done than those that suggested doing it, so in the end I decided to leave it alone, and it was already as good as it was going to get.

Anyway as Brett said, dont underestimate the machine you have.

cheer

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

GP 3500 - is it worth modifying? Empty mods for 3500

Post  gim Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:48 am

thanks fellers,
will take all you have said on-board, and as it is christmas day merry to every body, and hope youre nuggets grow like my belly is with all the food i have been eating, all the best ..gim,

gim
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

GP 3500 - is it worth modifying? Empty 3500 mods

Post  Pennyweight Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:23 pm

Hi Gim,
I will get my hands on a modded 3500 hopefully on Monday. I will video the results
and post on Youtube for everyone to see. I have heard terrific things about the latest mods for all GP's....should be interesting! I have a spot or two in mind that have been recently flogged with 4500's...If I can get gold here, it will make for good viewing!
Keep your eyes peeled here! Cheers, Dwt
Pennyweight
Pennyweight
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

GP 3500 - is it worth modifying? Empty 3500 mods

Post  Pennyweight Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:05 pm

See General discussion section for latest info!
Pennyweight
Pennyweight
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  gim Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:10 pm

hi pennyweight,

just watched youre video very interisting, the only thing that worrys me is i had a 2000 moded, and i had trouble with it, i had trouble getting it to be as quiet has it was before the mods, very disappointing pale could and should have saved over $600. gim

gim
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

GP 3500 - is it worth modifying? Empty modifications

Post  Pennyweight Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:07 pm

Hi Gim,
I also had a modded 2000 for a few years. Your'e right, it does make the 2000 a bit more noisy. The gain controls offered you more power but at a cost of noise. The latest 2000 mods are far better. A smooth mode plus a better VCO control makes the noise far less. The GP mods that I have now looked at DO NOT add ANY noise or other detractions. Everything that has been done makes the units BETTER in all aspects.
Can't find a minus....all plusses! Cheers, Dwt
Pennyweight
Pennyweight
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down