Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My biggest bit yet with the sdc2300

+24
G.B.
Hoffs Gold
Redfin
adrian ss
goldminer997
bloodgold2
nuggetseeker
piston broke
deutran
kiwijw
hotrob
AU10OZ
ozgold 041
Travelergold
GemQ
AnnieL
pablop
ttrash
slimpickens
Kon61gold
nanjim
big fella
Grandfather Johnson
moredeep
28 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

My biggest bit yet with the sdc2300 Empty My biggest bit yet with the sdc2300

Post  Guest Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:55 pm

Hi everyone

Well my sdc2300 pinged a nice speci for us.

I had to call Mike over to dig it out.    ( And a Big thanks to Nat for helping us to dig it out )

It was 15 inches down,  the last 4 inches roughly..  V51  it was in that hard caprock

Weighs in at 180.54 grams, we believe there may be over 1 ounce in it.

My biggest bit yet with the sdc2300 84d0c710

Back to top Go down

My biggest bit yet with the sdc2300 Empty Re: My biggest bit yet with the sdc2300

Post  moredeep Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:23 pm

well done Jen, that's fantastic,it's great to see the 2300 pulling gold a depth,I haven't had much to do with them.
It would be interesting to get other reports of the 2300 getting gold at depth,it's a pity they didn't have a discrimination setting to boot.if they did I would buy one.

cheers moredeep

moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1861
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

My biggest bit yet with the sdc2300 Empty Re: My biggest bit yet with the sdc2300

Post  Grandfather Johnson Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:33 pm

G'day Jen you have to be happy with that, be great to see it cleaned up. Cheers Bruce

Grandfather Johnson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks Moredeep

A discriminator would be handy as The sdc2300 sure does love those shot pellets, but after a million of them you start to learn
Oh it sounds like another shot pellet Laughing ( i know it wouldn’t discriminate lead )
But i still dig any sounds.

I think this speci is ugly lol
It will either get crushed or put in acid,  T10 would be nice to see what it looks like after being in acid.

Last edited by Jen on Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:46 pm

Grandfather Johnson wrote:G'day Jen you have to be happy with that, be great to see it cleaned up. Cheers Bruce

Hi Bruce
Yes, we may have to do that, i would love to see what it looks like with all that caprock and quartz removed.

Back to top Go down

Post  big fella Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:24 pm

Gday Jen well done. Hey do we have to wait till you get home to see that cleaned up ?
Regards big fella
big fella
big fella
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 550
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post  nanjim Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:31 pm

Jen,

The little blue vacuum cleaner strikes again.....
Thanks for posting ....
This helps keep the dream alive.....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

nanjim
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2014-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:36 pm

big fella wrote:Gday Jen well done. Hey do we have to wait till you get home to see that cleaned up ?
Regards big fella

Yes, as we dont carry any acid with us, we may get someone to do it for us, i hate that acid. To dangerous.

Mike put his multi meter on it, to see if the gold connects, and it does
As theres specks all over it.
The picture doesnt show it very well.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:39 pm

nanjim wrote:Jen,

The little blue vacuum cleaner strikes again.....
Thanks for posting ....
This helps keep the dream alive.....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

It sure does Very Happy
If theres gold in them thar hills the little blue vaccum will suck it up
As long as i swing it over it Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:33 pm

Shocked cheers Q11 cheers     Congratulations & well done to ya Jen/Mike. Fingers crossed the gold content, turns out to be just as rewarding.

Cheers Kon. T25 cheers
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:05 am

Thanks Kon

It may surprise us Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:27 am

Yes!Yes! Yes !Yes !Yes!

There is 120 grams of gold in it. Cool
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

My biggest bit yet with the sdc2300 Empty Big speci.

Post  ttrash Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:29 am

That’s a beaut alright ...!!!

Congratulations Jen , nice reward for many hours toil ...

Q15 Q16 Q15

ttrash
ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post  pablop Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:01 am

Great find, congratulations and well deserved cheers .  Hydrochloric acid isn't super nasty and it should eat away the ironstone type content, but not quartz.  Just stay away from the super nasty Hydrofluoric acid.  
Just can't wait to see what it looks like out of that rock.
pablop
pablop
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2015-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:00 pm

Congratulations Jen, great find. Q38
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:10 pm

slimpickens wrote:Yes!Yes! Yes !Yes !Yes!

There is 120 grams of gold in it. Cool

Now there’s some positive thinking, I like the way you think.  Very Happy

————————————————-

ttrash wrote:That’s a beaut alright ...!!!

Congratulations Jen , nice reward for many hours toil ...

Q15  Q16  Q15

Thanks Ttrash
About 5 minutes of toil, Bang! Got it... another hour of zip, that’s the way it goes.  Laughing

———————————————

pablop wrote:Great find, congratulations and well deserved  cheers .  Hydrochloric acid isn't super nasty and it should eat away the ironstone type content, but not quartz.  Just stay away from the super nasty Hydrofluoric acid.  
Just can't wait to see what it looks like out of that rock.

Thanks
I think Mike may do that, and if it needs to be put into Hydrofluoric acid, we will get someone else to do it. Hate that stuff.

———————————

AnnieL wrote:Congratulations Jen, great find. Q38

Thanks
I was just lucky to swing that 8 inch coil over the right spot Twisted Evil

Last edited by Jen on Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:11 pm

Now that's a great find for the sdc, congratulations Jen.

Now Mike, to you need to do better than that since you are detecting with the big gun, the gpz 7000.

Back to top Go down

Post  GemQ Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:12 pm

Lovely piece Jen - I wouldn't mind sweating when that's at the bottom of the hole.
GemQ
GemQ
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2012-12-24

https://www.youtube.com/user/GemQ1?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Travelergold Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:27 pm

Jen, very nice find, you say ugly! No gold is ugly. You deserve this one for all the effort. Looking at size of stone i also go slimpickens thoughts. Very Happy

Travelergold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2017-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:48 pm

UNCLE BOB wrote:Now that's a great find for the sdc, congratulations Jen.

Now Mike,  to you need to do better than that since you are detecting with the big gun, the gpz 7000.

Thanks
Hehe someone has to dig the hard holes.  V11    lol!

————————————-
GemQ wrote:Lovely piece Jen  - I wouldn't mind sweating when that's at the bottom of the hole.

Thanks
I just had to stand back and watch, and hold the pin pointer at the ready  Very Happy
————————————

Travelergold wrote:Jen,  very nice find, you say ugly!  No gold is ugly.  You deserve this one for all the effort.  Looking at size of stone i also go slimpickens thoughts. Very Happy

Hi
Thanks
Gee i still think its ugly  T10  well the rock associated with it is.
If we can get it dunked into some acid once we are back home, the gold will be yummy beautiful  Very Happy
A few friends that have held it seem to think theres a fair amount of gold in it.  So my fingers are crossed theres a good ounce in it.  
But i do like the way you and slimpickens think.  T06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:17 pm

UNCLE BOB wrote:Now that's a great find for the sdc, congratulations Jen.

Now Mike,  to you need to do better than that since you are detecting with the big gun, the gpz 7000.

G’day UNCLE BOB,

It just didn’t have my name on it that’s why Jen found it.   Laughing

Thanks to All for your Congratulations for Jen’s nice find.    T25

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:01 pm

Just out of curiosity Mike and Jen, would it be possible for you to find an equivalent stone in size and type and weigh it please?
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  ozgold 041 Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:38 pm

Congrats Jen & Mike on your find.

Just a Dry and Wet weight is all that's needed Jen.

Check how much water you need in the styro- cup, (to cover the piece completely first).

Then after weighing the cup and that amount of water only, tare the scales.

Proceed to weigh the specie in the foam cup, being careful you don't lose any water as you place it in, and totally immersed.

We can then give you a fair idea of the gold it contains.

Cheers ozgold 041

ozgold 041
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2013-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:05 pm

Hi  Ozgold

Thankyou

Well i dont have a foam cup handy, so tried it in a stainless steel mug, it didnt work Crying or Very sad
Came out at the same weight.

Last edited by Jen on Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:19 pm

slimpickens wrote:Just out of curiosity Mike and Jen, would it be possible for you to find an equivalent stone in size and type and weigh it please?

I couldnt find one that was justttt right  Laughing

So this one is a little bit bigger

My biggest bit yet with the sdc2300 06748c10

this one is smaller

My biggest bit yet with the sdc2300 C478e910

Then theres the difference between the rocks to the gold rock, those were just quartz

Back to top Go down

Post  ozgold 041 Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:39 pm

Jen wrote:Hi  Ozgold

Thankyou

Well i dont have a foam cup handy, so tried it in a stainless steel mug, it didnt work Crying or Very sad
Came out at the same weight.

Hi Jen,

Do the same thing again, and this time suspend the specie on a piece of cotton under the water.

See what it weighs then. There is also a formula for water displacement too.

Regards ozgold.

ozgold 041
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:06 pm

We re did with a bit of cotton, it was reading 134 grams

Back to top Go down

Post  ozgold 041 Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:39 pm

Jen wrote:
We re did with a bit of cotton, it was reading 134 grams

Hi Jen & Mike.

Here is what the formula say's.

Your Example: -                     Dry weight = 180.54 grams. (= 5.8ozs).

Wet weight = 134 grams (suspended in water on scales).

Wet = 134 x 3.1 = 415.4 grams.    Dry = 180.54 x 1.9 = 343.02 grams.      

Subtract lesser from greater = Wet 415.40 —  343.02 Dry = 72.38 grams of gold in the specimen.

Note: If there are minerals in the specie that are heavier than quartz (like ironstone etc), then the estimate will run high.

==========================================================================================

Determining gold content in a specimen using (digital scales).

Firstly, weigh the dry specimen on the digital scales and record it.                                                                                                                                      

The measurement we need to find now is its weight in water.

Use a polystyrene drinking cup or a light container that is big enough to hold the specie, slowly add water so that it will be completely submerged by the water when it’s placed in the cup, but it is not displacing any water.                                                                  

Place the cup on the scales, and then tare them to Zero.                              

Tie a piece of cotton or very light fishing line around the specie, so that it can be suspended in the water.

Dangle the specie, in the cup of water, make sure that it is not touching the bottom or sides of the container and is fully submerged, weigh and record.

When you have the dry weight and the wet weight recorded, it is easy using the below formula for determining the gold content.                                                                                                                        

The formula for determining the gold content in the quartz specie is:                                                

(Weight of rock in water x 3.1)   minus, the (Weight of rock in air x 1.9).                                                                                                                

==========================================================================

Example: -                     Dry weight = 100 grams.

Wet weight = 78 grams (suspended in water on scales).

Wet = 78 x 3.1 = 241.8 grams. minus    Dry = 100 x 1.9 = 190 grams.      

Subtract lesser from greater =         241.8 — 190 = 51.8 grams of gold in the specimen.

Note: If there are minerals in the specie that are heavier than quartz (like ironstone etc), then the estimate will run high.

ozgold 041
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  ozgold 041 Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:44 pm

Hello again Jen.

I forgot to mention, if you want to weigh it again, keeping in mind what it say's in the instructions below.

Dangle the specie, in the cup of water, make sure that it is not touching the bottom or sides of the container and is fully submerged, weigh and record.

This may alter your final outcome, for the better I hope.

Best of luck. Ozgold.

ozgold 041
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:14 pm

G’day Ozgold,

Thanks for your congratulations and your help with the S/G formula.    Very Happy

My estimate was very close to your’s, it came in at around 73grms of Gold in the specie and you’re right about the other materials on/in the specie.  As you said the results would be a bit different.   Very Happy

Going by the weight of the specie in our hand we guessed there would be at least an Oz if not more.  
Anyway thanks again for your help and your input.     T25

Cheers.  

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next