Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Off Topic. Hawaii volcano

+6
kevlorraine2
Detectist
Nightjar
Minermike
boobook
adrian ss
10 posters

Go down

Off Topic. Hawaii volcano Empty Off Topic. Hawaii volcano

Post  adrian ss Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Seems like the earthquake activity in hawaii is on the increase. Maybe the whole place is going to blow. affraid
http://www.iris.washington.edu/seismon/eventlist/index.phtml?region=N_Pacific&lon=-155.28&lat=19.41

Last edited by adrian ss on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4351
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Off Topic. Hawaii volcano Empty Re: Off Topic. Hawaii volcano

Post  boobook Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:06 pm

At least it is all happening without any pollution or global warming Cool
Where are all the scientific concerns? The interesting thing about Planet Earth is that things are forever changing...and regardless of all the huffing and puffing will continue to do so.
We were in Christchurch during the last tectonic movements...aftershocks like a train rumbling through an underground tunnel. The Earth with indigestion and no Quickeze to calm it

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:42 pm

Some body was predicting that Mt. Etna , in Italy , was going to blow in Sept. of this year . Change your holiday trip !
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:40 am

boobook wrote:At least it is all happening without any pollution or global warming Cool
Where are all the scientific concerns? The interesting thing about Planet Earth is that things are forever changing...and regardless of all the huffing and puffing will continue to do so.
We were in Christchurch during the last tectonic movements...aftershocks like a train rumbling through an underground tunnel. The Earth with indigestion and no Quickeze to calm it

Volcano's  are pretty good at causing dangerous pollution and it would take a hell of a lot of cars, trucks n planes to pump out what that volcano is doing in just one location.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=polution+from+hawaii+volcano&rlz=1C1AOHY_en-GBAU708AU708&oq=polution+from+hawaii+volcano&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.11040j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:37 am

boobook wrote:At least it is all happening without any pollution or global warming Cool

I like the tongue in cheek Michael. Smile
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Detectist Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:26 pm

My wife and I are not long back from the USA where we went to Yellowstone. One geyser there, Steamboat, has only gone off about 15 times in the last xx years but of those 15, 8 have been since May this year. We were told that there is some serious debate that it is connected to the Hawaiian volcano. A long way away but …. who knows.
Detectist
Detectist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:16 pm

That is what I was thinking about Mt. Etna going up . It is passing around the world . Start a wave in one place and it keeps going .
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:55 pm

apparently all the planets in our suns system are virtually all in a line. this only occurs every 1500 years and as with long range weather forcasting, it has some effect on our planets weather and that includes earthquakes and volcano activity. the prediction is for continuation of unusual events right down to major flood events. like that one in america - a one in a thousand year flood, that occurred twice in a month just recently.

the vid went on to say the hawaii volcano activity will create a whole new island over the next couple of years, and it is on a line of underwater volcanos that go right down to the antartic where there is a area of 160 underwater volcs that will totally melt that areas ice.

we will all be ruined says hanaran Very Happy

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:55 am

Detectist wrote:My wife and I are not long back from the USA where we went to Yellowstone.  One geyser there, Steamboat, has only gone off about 15 times in the last xx years but of those 15, 8 have been since May this year.  We were told that there is some serious debate that it is connected to the Hawaiian volcano.  A long way away but …. who knows.

You can see how it is all connected here.
http://www.iris.washington.edu/seismon/      (Place cursor on the coloured rings for more info)

And here.
https://earthquakes.ga.gov.au/      (Click on the coloured dots for more info)

And here.
http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/ (This one is live to the minute.....Well almost)

Adrian ss

Last edited by adrian ss on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:39 am

My Wife and Daughter went to Hawaiian for a 10 day holiday. As soon as they got there this volcano started playing up and earthquakes started to happen. I've told my wife she is never going on holiday again if this is what she can course. affraid
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:55 am

I hear ya man.
My wife went home to the Philippines a while back and just after she arrived 3 of the relies died pale I think Pinatubo erupted a short while later.
She is heading off again tomorrow. IIYEEEEEEE!!!

Last edited by adrian ss on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  elrodeo Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:02 am

https://www.sciencealert.com/hawaii-kilauea-volcano-olivine-peridot-gems-recent-eruptions
elrodeo
elrodeo
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Detectist Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:17 am

Thanks Adrian

Here's a link to currently erupting volcanoes.

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/fileadmin/maps/active-volcano-map.jpg

Just as well Mt St Helens isn't going off too.
Detectist
Detectist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Very interesting.
A lot of huffing and puffing going on.

On the other end of the natural earth occuranses spectrum:

I read in the paper this morning that the rate of melting of the South Pole has trebled over the past 5 years.......If ya live close to the sea shore line it might be a good time ta move inland a bit. pale

Yez can not stop Precession Of The equinox.........The prime cause of Global Warming. (And Cooling)
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  harryopal Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:07 pm

Here's a link to rather a good film about Yellowstone National Park erupting into a Super volcano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFaFfdOzPP8

The film is based on perfectly valid possibilities and doesn't have the usual disaster movie cliche of some bloke saving the world from disaster. One viewer noted that the jerky camera work is amateurish. It is distracting at times but I guess was done to give a newsreel feel of authenticity. That aside it is one of the better disaster films.

I'm now living in Bali with Mount Agung in the distance. For months it was huffing and puffing with flight and tourist cancellations but the critter has quietened down. Thousand were evacuated from the immediate area but have now gone back to their farms.

While billions of dollars have been spent worldwide on vulcanology it has become clear that it is impossible to predict when a volcano will blow or when it will stop. They can give warnings when the huffing and puffing has heated up but otherwise it is just guess work. The "science" of vulcanology is a bit like sitting with a stethoscope placed on someone's belly and trying to predict from which part of the stomach the next gurgle will be heard.

One comforting thought for us is if another big one resulted in a tsunami we are away from the shore and elevated. (Also useful given the regularity of major flooding which is another hazard in this part of the world.)

harryopal
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:33 pm

adrian ss wrote:I hear ya man.
My wife went home to the Philippines a while back and just after she arrived 3 of the relies died pale  I think Pinatubo erupted a short while later.
  She is heading off again tomorrow. IIYEEEEEEE!!!

Danger Will Roberson, Danger!!!! Q10 Q12 T26 V10 V33 Holy Moly
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:15 pm

Off Topic. Hawaii volcano Woody10
This would definitely be my expression if a supervolcano were to erupt today.

I love volcanoes.  As a little boy, I can still remember flying over perfectly formed cinderc-ones on the upper decks of the Grand Canyon (The Uinkaret volcanic field) and marveling at how nobody else seemed to be astounded by them.  These things are just perched high up on the plateaus with craters on top of dark lava crust, just  as if they only stopped erupting a few hours ago.  There's hundreds of volcanic ducts and craters in Arizona alone.  Fortunately the USGS says any future eruptions from them are likely to be small.

But there's a whole slew of OTHER volcanoes erupting at the moment.  Some of the really big Planet-Killers appear to be showing signs of returning to life.  I think the dormant Super Volcanoes are the ones most of us are worried about but for constant lava and ashcloud concern, Super Calderas are the biggest threat. And there's more than just one or two to worry about. A Caldera (Spanish for "cauldron") is any volcano with a crater that exceeds 1km wide.  Yellowstone Caldera is connected to a number of other volcanic systems.  But Yellowstone isn't the only serious threat we face....  A 12km cauldron that forms a vast super-volcano on the cost of Italy is showing signs of reawakening after 500 years of inactivity. Just over a year ago (Dec 22, 2016) the BBC reported that "It's dangerously close to hitting a critical pressure point" with a headline stating: "The supervolcano that caused one of the biggest eruptions in history has started to stir".  An eruption of more than 24 craters (now mostly hidden by the Mediterranean sea) that occurred 200,000 years ago was likely to be instrumental in wiping out the Neanderthals.  If it were to erupt alone, it could still be catastrophic, "producing global effects comparable to a major meteorite impact", according to Italy's National Institute for Geology and Volcanology.  The dormant but increasingly active Supervolcano is called Campi Flegrei ("field of Fire") volcano.  It's was formed just 4,000 years ago and yet in 2017 it claimed the lives of a family of three from Turin when they were instantly killed by superheated steam and fumes at Solfatara crater.  Solfatara crater is powered by the same magmatic source that fuels the Campi Flegrei supervolcano.

A single 8-day long eruption in 1538 created a new mountain (Monte Nuovo) and affected our climate.  Just how devastating would a Supervolcano be if it re-erupted today?  Surprisingly, we're well overdue for such an event. And you can't inhale volcanic ash because it's technically razor sharp glass crystals (see pic).

Off Topic. Hawaii volcano Screen13

Off Topic. Hawaii volcano Articl10
This is a TINY volcanic eruption. Something this small is barely worth noting.  But look how much debris is thrown up high into the atmosphere.  Imagine an eruption 40,000 times this size that never stops.  In just a few days it would begin to blanket the Earth.

The last time I was on the Big Island, my wife and I were almost killed when we walked over fresh lava.  The crust was so hot that it melted the heel of my camera monopod and both of my sneakers had 20 feet of what looked like dental floss blowing in the breeze behind me... which is what caught my eye.  Then the wind changed and it was as if I'd climbed into an oven.  The sunlight reflected off the obsidian and gave us second degree burns, and when the wind changed the lava hitting the salt water blew clouds of hydrochloric acid into our eyes.  If you trip or stub your toe, you'll end up coming in contact with the dried lava...which is obsidian and will shred you like thousands of tiny razor blades.  A 25yo girl traveling with us wearing a bikini with sneakers fell over just once and it took the skin off her palms and both her knees... she was a mess at the end of the day from the acid clouds and sunburn.   It was a very unpleasant adventure for us all.  

Off Topic. Hawaii volcano Img_6110
Two of the lava photographs I took near Kilauea - I had to walk over to top of the active flow to get to this location.

Hawaiian lava is smoother and runnier that most of the other volcanoes around the world.  I think it has been erupting non stop for 30 years now.  It also flows quite quickly.  When I was there last, a German tourist had walked in the same place I was and he had gone straight through the shell of rock and into the lava flow. His death wouldn't have been instant but it was said to have been quick. The hole left behind is called a "skylight".  Several other tourists stood near the edge of the lava flow where it enters the sea... and the waves broke away the base of their ledge, causing them to fall into the sea where they were broiled alive.  Plenty of bad ways to die around the lava.  The locals near the main crater in the Kilauea caldera leave fresh fruit there as an offering to the goddess Pele.  You're supposed to leave it there out of respect but I always have an urge to roll some of it in just to see what would happen. It's considered extremely bad luck to take a rock from the Volcanoes in Hawaii and the US Postal Service there has a special department that receives rocks from all around the world which have allegedly brought their owners terrible luck as a result. Superstition or not, the locals sure take it seriously. Remember the Hawaiian episode of The Brady Bunch where the kids find a bad-luck tiki charm?

One of the strangest things I ever saw was a man with a cattle ranch on one of the fertile slopes of the Big Island who refused to leave his ranch (some of the best beef in the world comes from Hawaii) because he said he saw Pele's face in the ash-clouds and he believed she would protect him.  They kept showing interviews with him on the news.  Anyway, he stayed.  The lava came rushing down the volcanic slopes and just when it got to his house it simply parted and went around it.  I flew over his house in a light aircraft and you could see where the lava had gone around both sides of his home and then merged behind it where it continued downhill.

I later donated some of my photographs from that trip to the publication of the OCEAN book by the son on Jacques Cousteau.  

Off Topic. Hawaii volcano Fgil5110
A view from a resident's house a few days ago...

There's actually a place where gold can be recovered by pan on the island of Maui where I spent much of my childhood exploring.  The massive volcano there is not technically extinct but just "dormant".  To find gold on the islands ought to be easy if you could access the waterways running down through the valleys since so much of it contains heavy minerals.  I have not personally seen any gold recovered from Hawaiian islands (or Maui) but locals speak of it and more than one US prospecting forum has discussed it in depth.  I almost took a trip to see for my self when I was there last.  It all makes sense considering the volcanic origins of the Hawaiian Islands.  But the area of interest is mostly inaccessible and is controlled by locals and a mining group.  There are no nuggets in Hawaii and most of the gold collected is by the beach prospectors looking for lost jewellery.

Off Topic. Hawaii volcano Screen10

The volcanologists in Yellowstone are confused by "Earthquake Swarms" that have been occurring there with increasing regularity.  Just a few years ago the Buffalo in the park were filmed fleeing in large numbers, something that the Park rangers have tried to explain away in recent years.  Officially, the prognosis is that no eruption is imminent.  However, recent seismic studies have shown that the magma chamber beneath Yellowstone is twice the size scientists had thought it was.  

Off Topic. Hawaii volcano 11013310

Off Topic. Hawaii volcano 12189910

Off Topic. Hawaii volcano 12189710

Massive cracks have opened up in regions connected to the Yellowstone caldera in the last few years.  These pictures show just how unusual they are.  The caldera in Yellowstone is carefully monitored and the surface is measured with lasers to see if there are changes over time. The scientists monitoring the Yellowstone volcanics have found the entire region is elevating at a height of up to 10 inches per year.  This is from magma welling up below and entering a massive magma chamber.  Last year a massive uplift formed over the caldera from the Magma chamber pushing upwards.  The San Andreas plate is well and truly overdue for slippage.  When it occurs it will wipe out most of Los Angeles and the coastal region running from New Mexico up to San Francisco because the longer it's held back, the harsher the reaction from the opposing plate edge will be.

Off Topic. Hawaii volcano Origin10

If Yellowstone caldera was to erupt today, it would set off a chain-reaction from two nearby dormant Calderas in other states. The eruption would be classified as a world-devastating event, blanketing the Northern Hemisphere with clouds of volcanic ash within several days, killing off most plant and animal life on the planet within two week.  If the eruption was as large as is anticipated, humans would mostly perish within two weeks to three months.  The planet temperatures would plummet and kill off those able to survive up until that point.

Off Topic. Hawaii volcano Mappot10
Yellowstone's eruption would likely trigger a reaction from these volcanoes running up the West coast of America.

Off Topic. Hawaii volcano Screen12

Oddly enough, in the event of an eruption from Yellowstone, America seems to have drawn up contingency plans to move their population to other countries... including Australia.  Just think about that for a moment.  Volcanic ash would be utterly ruinous to aircraft engines (both turbines and jets) and the coarse volcanic ash clouds tend to float quite high and they'd eventually encircle the earth, cutting off trade and shutting down a lot of our commerce.  Sydney has four volcanoes just 200km offshore but they are extinct.  We only discovered them about 3 years ago and they are joined together at the base with perfect craters at the rim.  Sadly they're underwater.

Off Topic. Hawaii volcano Screen11

Finally, there's the location of the Long Valley caldera in the United States (see below).  It laid down several ash beds that covered a significant percentage of North America.  When a caldera erupts, it's possible for the crater rim to continue to erode until it creates a much larger system. Scientists can see that no less that four major ash-beds were laid down in the past and have a better idea of what would happen today if this was to recur.  Computer simulations suggest that we would probably become extinct within a matter of a few weeks.

Off Topic. Hawaii volcano Fs200510

In 2015 the SMH published an article on Russian Nuclear Strategy against the United States (which you can read here in detail: https://www.smh.com.au/world/russian-analyst-urges-nuclear-attack-on-yellowstone-national-park-and-san-andreas-fault-line-20150331-1mbl14.html ).  Titled: "Russian analyst urges nuclear attack on Yellowstone National Park and San Andreas fault line", the article explains how the president of the Academy of Geopolitical Problems based in Moscow (Konstantin Sivkov) has called for Russia to considering a serious nuclear strike on America but dropping or exploding Nuclear warheads on the Yellowstone National Park to "wipe America off the map".  A second strategic strike on the San Andreas fault-line would ensure the destruction of America's infrastructure.  Collectively, one or the other (or both) would simply sink the entire nation in volcanic ash and economic ruin overnight.

So, just in case Mother Nature doesn't get us, the Russians just might do it for her.

Off Topic. Hawaii volcano Russia10

What are the odds of the Yellowstone Super Volcano erupting?  Are scientists taking the rising number of microquakes and earthquake swarms seriously?  The answer appears to be that the public side of the volcanologists is declaring that there's little chance of it happening.  But privately, this is the sort of thing that they are scrambling to discuss among themselves (see below).  Here's a private Tweet that accidentally went public from journalist Haley Byrd in 2017: "Very heated workplace discussion about the validity of these Yellowstone super volcano blast radius projections happening right now"

Off Topic. Hawaii volcano Screen14

Off Topic. Hawaii volcano Yellow10
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Detectist Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:41 pm

Ummm Thanks Nero_Design.

I think we (the human race) really need to start looking and moving off-planet.
Detectist
Detectist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:39 am

And the Greens are worried about us leaving a few holes open. scratch
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  pablop Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:25 pm

And don't forget that one of the largest Super volcano's, is much closer to home at the Taupo Volcano in the middle of the NZ north island.  Most recent eruption about 189AD.  Still lots of activity around the area of course and hopefully these are working like safety valves.
pablop
pablop
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2015-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  harryopal Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:42 pm

Here is an interesting link to a video showing the Hawaii lava flow. Taken from a helicopter. Scroll down the page past the first picture.

http://bgr.com/2018/06/17/kilauea-eruption-hawaii-video-from-helicopter/

harryopal
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down