Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Detecting alone with a high end detector

+4
Jigalong
sandy2010
GoldstalkerGPX
Jim Beam
8 posters

Go down

Detecting alone with a high end detector Empty Detecting alone with a high end detector

Post  Jim Beam Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:05 pm

Gee,

The price of these machines, I'd be inclined not to detect alone for fear of someone bashing me over the head and making off with it.

Especially with some of the unsavoury types lurking the Vic goldfields.

Jimbo

Jim Beam
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-10-01

Back to top Go down

Detecting alone with a high end detector Empty Re: Detecting alone with a high end detector

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:18 pm

Fear only comes from the unknown.

This is why I like to use external speaker.....Can hear surrounding noises.

I pitty the guy that sneaks up on me to scare the sh1t out of me, instant reaction might me to PICK a situation arising. I would hate to PICK and choose what choices I may have.
Very Happy

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Detecting alone with a high end detector Empty Re: Detecting alone with a high end detector

Post  Jim Beam Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:25 pm

Yeh, I was mainly thinking about the use of headphones too in these isolated areas.

I like to be aware of sounds around me.

It was a thought that crossed my mind when thinking about buying a 4500 or 5000

Jimbo Smile

Jim Beam
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:31 pm

Good thought JB, pays to be aware of your surroundings, at all times.
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Beam Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:16 pm

spidertice wrote:the spirit of a true aussie,

Sadly, that (the spirit of the true aussie) was probably true 50+ years ago. It's a different world out there these days, and as I'm getting on in years, wandering around alone, in isolated places and with a $6000 machine in hand had crossed my mind as risky. Shocked

Last edited by Jim Beam on Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:26 pm; edited 3 times in total

Jim Beam
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Detecting alone with a high end detector Empty Detecting alone etc............

Post  sandy2010 Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:42 am

The comments about keeping one ear open to avoid surprises......check out the ORDIO website and technicals of:OMX 680 SPORTS ear pieces(Sennheiser).......I've just bought a pair and will be trying them out next week.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:29 am

Hi Sandy,
Do these have a plug that goes straight into the battery box, or do you have to have them modified ?
Thanks
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Detecting alone with a high end detector Empty Detecting alone etc............

Post  sandy2010 Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:19 am

Hi jigalong,
It comes with a standard 3.5mm plug which needs a 6mm converter plug.
Cheers.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:45 am

Hi Jimbo
Have never heard of anyone being attacked and having there detector taken.Did hear once of a new detector being stolen out of a car in a main st of a country town.You are more likley to run into people doing exactly what you are doing,and when you ask them if they are finding any gold,strangely they all have the same answer "just a little bit".
Cheers Dig
The greens want to turn our goldsfields into National Parks.This would be for the benefit of the woman I saw walking a dog about 7 years ago.The rest have been prospectors.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Beam Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:00 pm

I'm with Nero.

It's not a case of being paranoid. Just hanging around the city with anything worth money these days is risky.

To be out in isolated areas (where there is no backup or anyone else around) with a $6000+ detector can be a 'golden' opportunity for
some of the desperates I've personally seen hanging around the Vic goldfileds.

As Nero said, probably good to detect with a few mates or even better, perhaps join a club and go on their outings. I've never been the club member type, but just as I am in getting on a bit, might be peace of mind.

It was just a last minute thought I had when looking at buying my first expensive detector. I'd be careful when I left it in the car too. affraid

Jimbo

Jim Beam
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:52 am

Gday

Well getting back to the subject, I think that for the most part you are safe enough to wander the bush with your detector without fear of being robbed and if you follow a few simple rules and dont take chances its safe enough to detect alone as well.

Most of the people that you will encounter in the bush are doing the same thing as you and dont mean you any harm, but you have to use your instincts on this, if it does not feel right when you meet someone just move on, better safe than sorry.

If you are camping on your own you are better setting camp randomly, as I use my troopy camper I will have a brief look about the area I want to stay in, see who is about, and set camp at the last minute just on dark so that there is little chance that I am being watched, if there are other people in the area I make it my business to know where they are, this can also be useful if you run into any problems whether it be with others or you take ill and need help.

I have only ever run into people one time that creeped me out, my instincts told me that something was not right and I followed my instincts when invited to camp up with them and moved on , to this day I still believed I did the right thing, at the very worst these people might have thought me a bit odd for it but better safe than sorry, when you are asked too many questions about things like are you out here on your own or do you carry a gun then your suspicions should be aroused and you should make some excuse to move on and get some distance between yourself and them.

I have no idea how many weeks I have spent in the bush on my own it would be many and I have only felt threatened that one time, so I dont think that there is much to fear but use common sense, and always be cautious and aware of what going on around you, if you find it too uncomfortable for you to be out there alone then get yourself a prospecting buddy as suggested, there are lots of other people who like to have company when out bush so finding someone isnt hard.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:26 pm

Mr Moderator, you have deleted the most hilarious flame war I have witnessed, shame on you.

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 414
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:36 pm

llanbric wrote:Mr Moderator, you have deleted the most hilarious flame war I have witnessed, shame on you.

here here. It was one of the cleanest you could ever want.
Especially after we all had a wipe with this.... lol!

Detecting alone with a high end detector BR-371_FeelTheLoveTowel

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:49 pm

Something that might be useful - and it's sort of relevant to this thread:

If you break down or have to leave your vehicle and equipment behind, it might be worth investing in a protective case just for your irreplaceable control box.

The Pelican brand cases and their Jaycar Electronics replicas are ideal for the purpose thought they will probably range from $49 to $220 for the right size (the Jaycar version is the least expensive). They have foam cores which are pre-scored and can be cut to accommodate all sorts on delicate instruments. I also use these when flying interstate or internationally as the cases have purge valves and are watertight as well as lockable with reinforced metal rings where the locks fit.

If you have to leave camp urgently, you can detach your control box, stick it into the protective case and take it with you. You can also lock the box in the trunk of your car with a steel cable and would-be thieves will need to have considerable determination and more specialized tools with them to remove it. I've been using these cases for nearly 20 years now and they're very practical.

Detecting alone with a high end detector Pelican%201500
Pelican's ideal cases come with a disclaimer that they will guarantee the case for life against breakage... "with the exception of bear attacks and small children". (I'm serious... they actually print that on the boxes). I guess someone has a sense of humor.

Detecting alone with a high end detector ProductLarge_10919
Jaycar's cheaper version of the same.

*I've not checked the size of the Jaycar cases to see if they'll fit. But Pelican have several models that certainly do.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:00 pm

This is a gold information site,there are sites that allow its members to attack one another.This isnt one of them.Humour Ie Tuna"s cammo post is brilliant.Members downgrading each other isnt humourous.
Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Nugget Meister Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:10 pm

Dig24crt wrote:Members downgrading each other isnt humourous.

and I heartily agree with you sir.
Nugget Meister
Nugget Meister
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:03 pm

You may find pictures of blue wrens and roast chickens downgrading, but it was done with style.

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:20 pm

ferrousfinder and nugget meister - great stuff .
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:33 pm

Hang on a second gents.Just because some prospectors look scruffy after a few days prospecting doesn't mean that they're scrupulous and up to mischief.Im not saying that the extremely rare one don't exist out there,its just that i haven't met any one out there that's not doing exactly what i love doing "prospecting for gold"
As a matter of fact in the 20+ years of prospecting,i haven't met a bloke out there,that wasn't willing to offer some sort of assistance or advice.
My missus always says that I'm psycho prospecting alone at times,out in the bush,but i keep reminding her that most the psychos are back in Melbourne.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:45 pm

Like Kon says, we look scruffy after a few days ferreting for gold, I think we would scare anyone off from trying to steal our detectors (not to mention the stench a few days after the initial few days...).
I don't think most people really know the value of a proper metal detector... why would you unless your loopy like us and actually wanted to buy one?
I realise in suburbia in Vic may be different from your average spot.... but fear and paranoia are different beasts, both of which should be grabbed round the neck and throttled lest you become their slave...

And also, somewhere in deleted post heaven, (i am sure some deleted posts go straight to hell), i did say that some home and contents insurance policies will cover some goods outside the house. Idea

llanbric wrote:You may find pictures of blue wrens and roast chickens downgrading, but it was done with style.
I thought the tussle was going on between nero, davsgold? and jig...?!
Nugget meister and myself are best mates so it couldn't have been 'cause of what we put up surely?!! we look like twins huh! Laughing

cheers, Ferris.

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:40 pm

Could I please see the chicken as an avatar?

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nugget Meister Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:51 pm

There are no chickens here.

only turkeys.
Nugget Meister
Nugget Meister
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:19 am

Hahahaha.

I can just see a few blokes wanderin round out bush, well at least 500 metres from the nearest fenceline/bitumen
rd with their washing up gloves on to protect themselves from ants, and their heads spinnin round trying to keep an eye
out for those thugs & ruffians like the days of old while they wipe the dirt off their hands on their aprons & fear all that moves. lmao..

my grandad yoused to have a saying,,, oh thats what it was...........H.T.F.U.. hahaha.. lol! Razz
He was a bit senile but was a tough old miner..

Personally ive never had nor seen any troubles in my 20 odd yrs prospecting but i do keep a keen eye out for ROGUE butterfly's...
(All said in fun)

Coils to the ground.

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:17 pm

There is at least one CUCKOO thats for sure....

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:29 am

in isolated places and with a $6000 machine in hand had crossed my mind as risky.
LOL i wouldnt be worried about your detector, because as you wander off there busy nicking/stripping/damaging your car or ransaking your camp.
Seriously i dont feel uncomfortable camping by myself have done it for 20+ years now,only had 2 problems in those 20 years and both were minor (one could have turned very nasty, as grog and SLR dont mix).
I personnal would be very wary of anyone fishing for info or coming across as your long lost best M8, usaual there after something. (And if they have a tube of lube be very afraid Laughing )
Regards
John
I can just see a few blokes wanderin round out bush, well at least 500 metres from the nearest fenceline/bitumen
rd with their washing up gloves on to protect themselves from ants, and their heads spinnin round trying to keep an eye
out for those thugs & ruffians like the days of old while they wipe the dirt off their hands on their aprons & fear all that moves. lmao..
Id like to know why they are out of the kitchen Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down