Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flat Wound Coils

3 posters

Go down

Flat Wound Coils Empty Flat Wound Coils

Post  Guest Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:40 am

Not having used much in the way of flat wound mono coils except for the 14"coiltek elite very briefly, I was wondering if anybody has used the Detech 11" round version and what are their thoughts on its performance?, or can anyone comment on what results they have achieved with coiltek, nuggetfinder or detech and do they think they really do out perform standard mono coils of similar size?, and are they worth buying?scratch

Thanks in advance

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Flat Wound Coils Empty Re: Flat Wound Coils

Post  spinna Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi au-fever

I operate a GPZ7000 and have a friend who operates a GPX5000.
With a few others, we spend around 3 months in your neck of the woods each year.
For the past two seasons he has been using flat wound coils and I must admit that I have been impressed with their performance.
We have done comparison tests with the Z, standard coils on 5000's and 4500's and with his set up.
Not up to the standard of the Z (I put that down to the skilled operator!) but one heck of an improvement over the standard coils.
So for what it is worth, yes, these coils leave the others for dead.
Note. I also have a 5000 and use a 12" Nuggetfinder Evolution which I operate on the odd occasion.
I am amazed at how quite the unit operates and the improvement in sensitivity.
Just my opinion mind you, but food for thought.
(p.s. IMHO nothing comes close to the performance of the GPZ7000  - congrats Minelab)
Cheers   spinna

spinna
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  staples61 Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:14 am

Hi Audfever,
I use a 4500 and a coiltek elite 14''.
Prior to the elite my main coil was an 11'' Commander.
Don't have any test data etc.Too many variables , plus the obvious size difference.
But I definitely believe the Coiltek finds bigger and deeper gold.
I recently found a 4g bit in quartz gravel at 9 inches.
Only drawback is getting the coil into tight spaces plus its a bit heavier.
The extra gold makes that bearable though !
I have been thinking about getting a 12'' Coiltek
You can pick up second hand coils to keep the cost down.
Get one
Staples

staples61
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:31 am

spinna wrote:Hi au-fever

I operate a GPZ7000 and have a friend who operates a GPX5000.
With a few others, we spend around 3 months in your neck of the woods each year.
For the past two seasons he has been using flat wound coils and I must admit that I have been impressed with their performance.
We have done comparison tests with the Z, standard coils on 5000's and 4500's and with his set up.
Not up to the standard of the Z (I put that down to the skilled operator!) but one heck of an improvement over the standard coils.
So for what it is worth, yes, these coils leave the others for dead.
Note. I also have a 5000 and use a 12" Nuggetfinder Evolution which I operate on the odd occasion.
I am amazed at how quite the unit operates and the improvement in sensitivity.
Just my opinion mind you, but food for thought.
(p.s. IMHO nothing comes close to the performance of the GPZ7000  - congrats Minelab)
Cheers   spinna

Hi spinna

Thanks for the feedback, I mainly use small to medium sized mono coils and do very well with them, but always open to try other technology when it comes available, but so far I cant say I am impressed with the gpz as such as I have not seen it shine as others apparently have, I don't doubt the technology but its considerable weight compared to a gpx is from what I have seen so far a real hindrance to older operators and even more so when trying to use the 19" coil, personally I would prefer a gpx over a gpz because of that factor alone, but each to their own I guess.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:36 am

staples61 wrote:Hi Audfever,
I use a 4500 and a coiltek elite 14''.
Prior to the elite my main coil was an 11'' Commander.
Don't have any test data etc.Too many variables , plus the obvious size difference.
But I definitely believe the Coiltek finds bigger and deeper gold.
I recently found a 4g bit in quartz gravel at 9 inches.
Only drawback is getting the coil into tight spaces plus its a bit heavier.
The extra gold makes that bearable though !
I have been thinking about getting a 12'' Coiltek
You can pick up second hand coils to keep the cost down.
Get one
Staples

Hi staples

Thanks for the feedback,I still use a 4500 as well and mine is an early model one, about 9 years old now, I also had a 5000 and it seemed to me it was not as responsive as my 4500 so I sold it and stayed with the 4500, I still get consistent gold with it and its found lots and lots of gold over the years, and also use a 2300 when I want a change of pace, I reckon a 4500 and 2300 are a good combination detector wise if you want to cover all the bases, the ability to change coils as and when conditions dictate is very important factor in getting consistent gold and I have proven it time and time again, so any coil that could possibly offer a bit more than what I am using is worth trying.

I will probably give the Detech 11" flat wound coil a go, as I use the minelab 11" commander mono a fair bit when the soil is variable or noisy, the detech coil is the same size but is also a bit lighter than the commander one, your right the smaller coils are far easier to use on rubbly rocky ground, as larger coils have to be swung above the rocks where the smaller coil can be manoeuvred closer to the ground and in between the rocks giving you ground depth and chance of hearing a signal.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:48 pm

au-fever wrote:

I still use a 4500 as well and mine is an early model one, about 9 years old now, I also had a 5000 and it seemed to me it was not as responsive as my 4500 so I sold it and stayed with the 4500, I still get consistent gold with it and its found lots and lots of gold over the years, and also use a 2300 when I want a change of pace, I reckon a 4500 and 2300 are a good combination detector wise if you want to cover all the bases, the ability to change coils as and when conditions dictate is very important factor in getting consistent gold and I have proven it time and time again, so any coil that could possibly offer a bit more than what I am using is worth trying.

I will probably give the Detech 11" flat wound coil a go, as I use the minelab 11" commander mono a fair bit when the soil is variable or noisy, the detech coil is the same size but is also a bit lighter than the commander one, your right the smaller coils are far easier to use on rubbly rocky ground, as larger coils have to be swung above the rocks where the smaller coil can be manoeuvred closer to the ground and in between the rocks giving you ground depth and chance of hearing a signal.

au-fever
I also have a early model 4500, I also have the Detech 11" flat wound coil that came with the qed I bought. I have not tried the Detech 11" flat wound coil
on the 4500 because of a mishap, but I think it would work very well. It does work well on the qed.
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down