Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A nice surprise.

+3
GemQ
determined1
ttrash
7 posters

Go down

A nice surprise. Empty A nice surprise.

Post  Axtyr Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:39 am

Hi everyone.

Great day out yesterday with just a bit too much wind at times. I wasn’t going to post my finds but I know Jen loves to see the coins we find.

First and only piece of gold for the day was a 0.06 gram piece. I don’t know how it picked it up but from the signal I was expecting a gram at least so I think it must have picked up on a bit of mineralisation at first.
A nice surprise. IMG_0032_zpsjrlpkjvb

Then I found my first 4 pence. I thought it was a 1 cent piece first up given how brown it was.
A nice surprise. IMG_0033_zpsuxdihpd9

A bit of a clean up in acid and a scrub with some steel wool and it came up all shiny.
A nice surprise. IMG_0048_zps8michhut
A nice surprise. IMG_0049_zpszfn3sahe

Good luck out there. I won’t be posting for at least 3 weeks as my wife and I are off on a cruise to Noumea and Vanuatu. Thankfully not on Norwegian Lines.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 848
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

A nice surprise. Empty Gold & fourpence

Post  ttrash Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:08 am

Nice finds Axtyr

The fourpence is a neat old find , helps date that Area

The Fourpence , back in the day , was known as a " groat "

Enjoy the cruise

Anthony
ttrash
ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

A nice surprise. Empty Re: A nice surprise.

Post  determined1 Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:37 pm

Top job Axtyr. Q38

Never cease to be amazed by the tiny ones that the Z is able to come up with.

The groat came up a treat and I am one that sometime gets a bit excited by the other items of interest that come up when out detecting.

Watched the Norwegian Star go past here with the help of three tugs by then. Shame for those whose holidays were spoilt, but I understand that service and crew on the ship has been fabulous and it seems that there are plenty who are pretty happy about getting two cruises for the price of half of one. Looks like it will be underway in the next day or so.

Enjoy your trip and thanks for sharing.

Bernie
Determined1

determined1
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2013-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  GemQ Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:27 pm

Lovely Grout Ax - not a common Coin find, well done
GemQ
GemQ
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2012-12-24

https://www.youtube.com/user/GemQ1?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:38 pm

Thanks all.

I was really stoked to find the coin as I had seen others posting their finds of these. It's not in too bad condition and the date is very visible. I thought it was in a little better condition when I first saw it but none the less it will go into the collection.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 848
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:42 pm

They are one of mine favorite finds have got 3 over the years. Click the link for look at coin , note the milled edge (can't be seen in jpg ) and it size is that of a 3d but thicker.

A nice surprise. 1837-uk-fourpence-reverse2c-william-iv-28dmc29

http://www.allcoinvalues.com/images/1837-uk-fourpence-reverse2c-william-iv-28dmc29.jpg

Last edited by geof_junk on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 936
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi there Axtyr, Cool finds there mate. That coin scrubbed up a treat. You cashing in some of your hard won gold?
Enjoy your cruise.

Good luck out there

JW V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

A nice surprise. Empty -a-nice-surprise

Post  Guest Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:27 pm

Nice coin finds Axtyr, not sure which state you are swinging in mate. But yeah if we find anything like that in our travels you can bet that gold is not far away Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  hapalogh Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:41 pm

1843 coin nice going axtyr, iv'e never found a coin but some brass buttons.
My latest find was .05 grams also with the Z ,but I got frustrated trying to find what it was .
So went home with a small bag of dirt ,and to my surprise panned a tiny .05 gram piece.
But still wondering where the large ones are,coz I only get the small ones Embarassed

hapalogh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2013-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:36 am

hapalogh wrote:So went home with a small bag of dirt ,and to my surprise panned a tiny .05 gram piece.
But still wondering where the large ones are,coz I only get the small ones Embarassed

lol! Join the club......small ones only for me too. Rolling Eyes Do you use a scoop? They make it easier to locate the tiny ones. Or you can dump the last little bit of dirt from your hands, after whittling the signal down to a small handfull of dirt, on to the top of the coil & then poke & prod & push the dirt around on the coil with a finger tip until you move the target when you get a signal. Then just work away isolating the target this way until you have it. Works for me. Cheers

Good luck out there

JW V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:43 am

Mate the groat is a terrific find, well done Very Happy
Finding a groat has been on my bucket list for many years Shocked
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:25 pm

Gee....I have come across a few Goats out there in my time but not a Groat. Q34

JW  V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  hapalogh Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:46 am

Hi Kiwijw .Yes I use a standed green scoop and use the z but I,m a little deaf ,so I tried turning the target signal up but too much ground noise then tried vol limit but didn't notice any difference, will try your idea,as I thought if I get dirt on the detector and shake it off the residue left on coil my give a false signal. Thanks Mate.

hapalogh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:12 am

hapalogh wrote:Hi Kiwijw .Yes I use a standed green scoop and use the z but I,m a little deaf ,so I tried turning the target signal up but too much ground noise then tried vol limit but didn't notice any difference, will try your idea,as I thought if I get dirt on the detector and shake it off the residue left on coil my give a false signal. Thanks Mate.

G'day mate, Are you using head phones or just the WM12 speaker. Do you use a signal enhancer. I can fully recomened JP's B&Z booster with external speakers. If you have a bit of a hearing problem you could run head phones through the B&Z but I would be careful with volume doing it that way. I used to do the head phones through a DeTacc signal enhancer back in my GP 3000 days, just had to be careful. Good luck out there

JW V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  hapalogh Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:15 pm

G'day Kiwijw, Yes I use Koss headphones on the WN12.
I don,t have an enhancer but a rooster booster,left over from the gpx 5000 but I think it maybe too much work fitting new sockets and a separate power pack to this booster.
I take it that the B&Z booster plugs into the WN12 wireless amp,to keep it wireless still.
Thanks a lot for the info,as I never gave this a thought.
Woops I got your quote the wrong way round.

G'day mate, Are you using head phones or just the WM12 speaker.  Do you use a signal enhancer. I can fully recomened JP's B&Z booster with external speakers. If you have a bit of a hearing problem you could run head phones through the B&Z but I would be careful with volume doing it that way. I used to do the head phones through a DeTacc signal enhancer back in my GP 3000 days, just had to be careful. Good luck out there

JW  V08 [/quote]

hapalogh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:30 am

Hi there hapalogh, The B&Z has its own batteries inside the unti. I clip the WM12 on to the bottom waist strap on my Minelab 45 Pro Harness & the B&Z booster on to the top chest strap. The B&Z just plugs straight into the WM12. From the B&Z you can either run external speaker/speakers or head phones. With head phones it is recommended to turn down volume setting in detector as the B&Z has its own volume control. Hope that is of some help to you.

Good luck out there

JW  V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  hapalogh Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:15 am

Hi Kiwijw, Thanks a lot for your info
I bought the B&Z and gave it a bit of a run.
Found out you have to have spot on settings,coz you hear background sounds you have never heard before.
Also you said wear,wear the booster high up as I had it on my lower strap, for a first test,and the curly cordwas in the way,and the booster kept falling off the strap.
Thanks again and hope you find the bigger gold and me too What a Face
Regards hapalogh.

hapalogh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:26 pm

Hi mate, That is great. Yer the curly cord is a bit too long for that kind of set up. I am going to look in to getting a shorter one. Hope the set up works for you though.

Good luck out there

JW V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:08 am

Hi axtyr, Sorry mate. Forgot this was on your thread. Wasnt meaning to hijack it. Embarassed

JW Smile
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down