Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not too bad

+8
determined1
kon61
NeoGeo
Detectist
slimpickens
Axtyr
AnnieL
GemQ
12 posters

Go down

Not too bad Empty Not too bad

Post  NeoGeo Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:51 pm

G'day members,

Mid last year Gazzaminer started a thread asking if anybody was interested in hooking up for a swing. I answered his post with "for sure".
One of the main reasons for me joining was to eventually find other like minded people to head out for a detect with.

So after a few failed attempts to catch up. Due to different schedules. We finally ended up in an area I've found a few pieces before.

The first piece was found on a recon mission with me and my two boys. Gazza couldn't make this trip.
It was found on a small hill and on the opposite side was a small area that had been pushed.
When I dug it, the dirt didn't look promising. At about 6", it sounded like a .22 and wasn't in good gravel or clay. But out came this nice looking 2.9 grammer covered in it's conglomerate coating of ironstone. Its the first piece I haven't wanted to clean and I haven't. I spent the next two days scouring this side of the gully with nothing to show for my time.

Not too bad Img_5011
Not too bad Img_5010

A few weeks later I was heading back again, but this time Gazza was going to join me.
I arrived a day earlier than Gazza with the hope of finding an area we could both work.
I arrived late afternoon and headed straight back to the pushed area and went over the side that I'd found the first piece and once again found nothing.
The next morning I was out early in a different area. I spent my time going around a medium size hill through a gully onto the opposing hill, back through the gully and around the back of the first hill. After a few hours I popped back out close to my fourby. With my truck insight, I thought I'd detect a few mullocks that lie between me and my truck. The first mullock I swung over, produced a nice sound. The deeper I got the better the sound was until finally my 4500 was overloading. Thinking it was probably the tip of a pick after experiencing quite a few of those. The target was out. A few scoops and there it was. a nice 5.7 grammer  Very Happy  There is a 22 gram piece below found by a bloke we met.
Not too bad Img_5012
Not too bad Img_5013

Heading back to camp to get reception. So I could see what time Gazza would be arriving and to send Gaz a quick pic of my find. Regardless of where it was found  Wink His reply was encouraging Shocked  Very Happy
Upon his arrival, we both headed back to the area where the last piece was found. Only to be threatened by one of the locals after a short time Suspect
So back into the trucks and off to the pushed area. after a hour or so. I was pretty stuffed and the sun was heading down. I walked back to my truck, had a drink, put the 4500 away and headed up the slope to catch up with Gaz.
Once I had found him, I told him I'd had enough and said to him to keep going for as long as he want's.
Gaz said yeh, I'll just slowly make my way back to the truck's. Sweet as bro, no stress. After a while we were both next to the trucks and with something that stuck with me. Gaz kept going. Deciding to try the pushed side. Within a couple of minutes Gaz got a loud signal in one of the windrow's. After no time at all. Out popped a 1.2 grammer Very Happy  Persistence pays off! Both happy with a piece each and the darkness quickly approaching. We decided to make tracks back to camp to set up and chill out.

Not too bad Img_5014

Next morning saw us heading back to the pushed area with a young bloke we had met named Adam from Belgium? I think.
I decided to head away a little so Gaz could keep workin the area where he found his first bit. We all stayed just out of interference range and worked the same slope. Soon after getting into it. Gaz comes up with a nice 1 grammer about 15 meters away from his other piece.

Nice work Gaz Very Happy
Back into it and not an hour later. Gaz gets this warbley signal. It was definitely a target, but different. So I headed down to watch the dig. After maybe 6-8 inches the signal improved into the normal consistent sound of a target. With the response improving with every inch removed until overload. A few more scraps and Gaz looks down and plucks it out of the hole. Nice slug bro!!!
It went 14 grams even Shocked
Not too bad Img_5015
Not too bad Img_5016
Not too bad Img_5017

The Next morning saw us try out a different area. Upon arrival, Myself, Gaz and adam hopped out of the trucks and started gearing up. I grabbed a piece of conglomerate off the ground to examine and I saw a tiny piece of gold sticking out of the edge. I showed the guys and with their amazement. Started laughing at the fact I had already found a piece of gold. Albeit tiny. Like something you would find after panning.
The thing that I like about this sample, is you can see the colour layer that the gold has been deposited in the conglomerate. If you look at the first stained piece I found. You can clearly see the same colours on that piece. Even though they were 8km or so apart.
After an hour or so. I had come up with a small 1 gram piece. It was the only gold found that day.
Not too bad Img_5018
Not too bad Img_5812
Not too bad Img_5813

That was the last of the gold that was found that trip and Gaz and I had our first trip done and dusted.

Clearly once we had gotten home. We were eager to get back. So a couple of weeks later Myself, Gaz and my two sons headed back for the weekend. Due to our late arrival, we decided to have a night swing. Gaz being the top bloke he is and seeing I was champing at the bit to find a bigger piece (the 5.7 gram)  was my PB. He walked off and left me to do the bottom half of the slope where his 14 gram piece had come from.
After maybe an hour or so. Gaz got another nice signal so I headed up to watch the dig. After 8" or so. He had hit pipe clay and things were looking good Very Happy  In no time at all he had his next piece in his hands. A respectable 8.7 gram piece. It was really good to see that pipe clay and it was my first time seeing a piece come from it.
Not too bad Img_5110

The next day was a warm one. The first piece was a small .5 gram piece I dug at a respectable depth of around 7-8". After trying some different setting Gaz had suggested. It was a slow day gold wise. With only one more piece being found.
Another 2.9 gram piece and once again it was time to head home.
Not too bad Img_5810

Only one more tiny piece has been found. It was almost on the surface of the track heading in and was plucked by my old prospecting buddy who has moved to SA. But considering the majority of the pieces were found relatively deep. I still believe there are a few more for us to find.
All in all, It has been a pleasure detecting with Gazzaminer. He's a top bloke and I look forward to the both of us finding new areas that we can detect together.

These last 5 pieces were found a couple of weeks ago, while my boys and I were on the last leg of our Christmas holiday trip. They went 1.5 grams for the 5 of them.
Not too bad Img_5811

I hope you enjoyed Very Happy

Cheers cheers  
Lee

Last edited by NeoGeo on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
NeoGeo
NeoGeo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2015-05-06

Back to top Go down

Not too bad Empty Re: Not too bad

Post  GemQ Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:25 pm

Lee,

Great to see the catch up worked well and some bloody nice pieces over the period. Not sure what the issue was with the locals, so long as your not in their breakfast they should pull their head in.
GemQ
GemQ
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2012-12-24

https://www.youtube.com/user/GemQ1?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:28 pm

Great story and very nice Nuggies Lee. T06 Congrats to you and Gazzaminer and thanks for sharing your great pics. T25

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:48 pm

Nice finds there Lee.  Q38  Thanks for story & pics.
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:40 pm

Some very nice big and small pieces there. Well done.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 848
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  NeoGeo Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:21 am

Thanks for the kind words Peoples cheers

G'day GemQ. All good with the locals mate. Doesn't matter what your into. 4wding, fishing, prospecting whatever. There is always someone who wants the bush for them selves. No sweat on our part.

G'day Mike, Glad you liked the story and the pics. Gets a bit nerve racking writing them. As I've lost a couple in the past from timing out  lol!  Got it sorted now.

Hi Annie, Thank you. I enjoy writing them. I just left this post a little too long before putting up and started to forget the finer details. But it all came back in the end. I'm glad you enjoyed the read a pics.

Hi Axtyr. Cheers. I enjoy reading your finds as well. Even if I didn't score the better pieces. I got to see a couple of them being unearthed. It's always good to see nice pieces.

Thanks again for the comments and I am glad you enjoyed the show cheers
And a big thank you to everyone else who posts their finds. It helps keep me going  T06

Cheers,
Lee Q11
NeoGeo
NeoGeo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:25 am

Wow!! Very nice..

Great pictures.. and story..
Congrats on your finds..
Thankyou very much for sharing with us all.. T25

Back to top Go down

Post  NeoGeo Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:29 am

Jen58 wrote:Wow!! Very nice..

Congrats on your finds..
Thankyou very much for sharing with us all..  T25

My pleasure Jen.
Just gotta find some more so I can post them lol!
Easier said then done I know.

Cheers,
Lee.
NeoGeo
NeoGeo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:36 am

NeoGeo wrote:

Congrats on your finds..

My pleasure Jen.

Cheers,
Lee.

Yes its getting harder and harder to find.. but its great fun being out in the bush..
You also took nice clear pictures..

Oh and sorry you lost your first post..
that can be a pain..
If i tend to write a long one or go for a cuppa in between.. i first write it up in my note pad.
Cheers
Jen

Back to top Go down

Post  NeoGeo Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:48 am

Jen58 wrote:
NeoGeo wrote:

Congrats on your finds..

My pleasure Jen.

Cheers,
Lee.

Yes its getting harder and harder to find.. but its great fun being out in the bush..
You also took nice clear pictures..

Oh and sorry you lost your first post..
that can be a pain..
If i tend to write a long one or go for a cuppa in between..  i first write it up in my note pad.
Cheers
Jen

I love the bush and so do my boys ( 6&8 ). I was half way through and had to leave to pick them up from school. So when I got back, I copied what was written. Logged off and the back on, Pasted it in a new post, then added the already resized pics. It worked a treat. Although It gets a bit nerve racking. I have lost posts twice the size a couple of times. Spat the dummy and forgot about it. I should probably get Microsoft Word and do it at my own leisure.
But for now this method does the trick.

Cheers,
Lee.
NeoGeo
NeoGeo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:55 am

It happens to me as well. Sometimes my bowser just crashes..
I lose a whole pagefull never can re-write it the same way

And i am like this V41  Very Happy

Sometimes i feel like giving up..
then i try again..

Ahhh 6&8.. i have a eight year old grandson..
just gave him a minelab gofind20
He loved it.. he goes out detecting with his dad..  well he will be Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:39 pm

Beautiful Neogeo, I've got to ask, where, you've got to tell me where, where,..........................where did you get that lighter. Q10
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Detectist Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:09 pm

Thanks for the post NeoGeo.

Great story to accompany some good gold.

As you say, these posts keep me going until I get a chance to look for some myself.
Detectist
Detectist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  NeoGeo Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:22 pm

slimpickens wrote:Beautiful Neogeo, I've got to ask, where, you've got to tell me  where, where,..........................where did you get that lighter.  Q10

Hahahahah. Your a funny bloke Slim Q35 I got it from a servo, but honestly cant remember where? Tell ya what, If I remember or happen to fill up there again and see them. Ill buy you one and send you a PM.  
I have a camo one as well. It's all good at home, but its useless in the bush for obvious reasons Q07
NeoGeo
NeoGeo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  NeoGeo Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:36 pm

Detectist wrote:Thanks for the post NeoGeo.

Great story to accompany some good gold.  

As you say, these posts keep me going until I get a chance to look for some myself.

Cheers Detectist, I'm glad you enjoyed the story.
Yes, I gotta say. If it wasn't for the usual offenders posting the pic's & vid's of their finds, scenery and some good stories to boot. I probably wouldn't do it either. But they continue to and so will I. Its only fair.
Regardless of size, state or country. It's what we like to see.
Especially when we cant be out there looking for it ourselves.

Cheers,
Lee.
NeoGeo
NeoGeo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:45 pm

Superb going there fellas, well done. Top show & tell. Q36 cheers

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  NeoGeo Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:35 pm

kon61 wrote:Superb going there fellas, well done. Top show & tell. Q36 cheers

Cheers Kon. Q11

Thanks Kon. Its nice actually finding some better pieces and being able to do a bit of a write up.
Even if the good ones aren't mine lol!
I just like telling the story Sleep

Cheers,
Lee.
NeoGeo
NeoGeo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  determined1 Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:30 am

Great recap of your outings and equally great results.

No doubt you were both well pleased with your rewards and excellent pics also.

Well done all round. Q40

Bernie
Determined1

determined1
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2013-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  NeoGeo Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:24 pm

determined1 wrote:Great recap of your outings and equally great results.

No doubt you were both well pleased with your rewards and excellent pics also.

Well done all round. Q40

Bernie
Determined1

Thanks Bernie, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Yes we were both pretty happy with the results. That small thrashed area has given up around an oz and hopefully a few more pieces will come to light over the next visit couple of visits.

Cheers
Lee
NeoGeo
NeoGeo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  gazzaminer Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:42 pm

Been a while and prob should have replied back to this story about us ages ago! haha better late then never i guess!

i had a absolute blast these few days we were out detecting and picked up some good pieces. Some of the depths that the 4500 was punching down to was beyond me, but i now know those little tweaks here and there on my settings has paid off.

it was a good catching up with Lee (NeoGeo) and to this day always stay in contact and have had many outtings detecting and camping. Awsome company and become good mates! Even though i am a young detectorist 29 years young Razz i have been detecting since i was about 21 and prospecting and sluicing well before then, but it was always good to learn different techniques from another and learn more about the geology of the ground by visually looking at landscapes etc, and Lee has taught me alot. Even taking that sort of knowledge on board and when i have heading out detecting by myself to try new spots in areas i have not been before looking at those certain ground formations and hills etc has proven that taking on board what you learn pays off and i have always found gold on most of my little trips out.

Since this few days out with Lee which was back in October i have picked up quite a few little pieces and a nice 4.14 grammer which my best friend captured on film which i yet to post up more of my finds.

My last outting with Lee i found nothing but it was just way too hot to be out and i ended up getting a nasty bullant sting on my ankle and 3 weeks later has left a nice scab and scar from it haha. yes it hurt alot it felt like my leg was on fire. but i guess you are going to expect that kind of stuff out in the bush. sorry for my late reply ! but i will be posting up alot more again when i get the chance Smile

And once again this little trip we had out was a blast! and cant wait to do it again!
gazzaminer
gazzaminer
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2012-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post  California Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:12 am

ahh..nice to see some yellow......thanks for sharing.
California
California
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2016-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post  deano Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Love the write up neogeo, awesome images. Looking forward to hearing more.
Deano
deano
deano
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2011-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  MTB Digger Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:06 am

Awesome finds!
MTB Digger
MTB Digger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2012-05-14

http://www.imging.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  NeoGeo Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:42 pm

Good to see you responded to what was essentially a post about your gold Wink . Hahahahahahaha Laughing And was that a dig about my age?
Yes you, your 4500 and that 12" Evo are a force to be reckoned with. I too have learned something from detecting with you. Never right off an obvious worked area and If you know gold was found there. Methodically work the area. Coz ya just never know Twisted Evil Point proven.
Look forward to our next mission mate.

No sweat Cal.

My pleasure Deano. I'm stoked ya liked the write up and pics mate. I have been a YT subscriber for a while now and I have enjoyed watching you find some nice gold. I cant wait to find a patch of my own one day. Keep up the good work.
Congrats to your bro. That was a nice piece T06

Cheers MTB, I'm glad you like'em T06

Cheers,
NG.
NeoGeo
NeoGeo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: