Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The QED and me

+33
flouro
bubbazoo
Chatter
chris68
polak
goldtalkleonora
kon61
Jack outwest
Wantmoregold
goldchaser
flyspecks
papoutsi
rc62burke
Prospecting_Australia
Old Hand
Axtyr
hugh62
Hoffs Gold
adrian ss
gef50
Digginerup
Harb
Tributer
ozgold 041
Philsgold
Hermann
GPZhunter
Liquid Gold
kiwijw
Reno Chris
Reg Wilson
slimpickens
GOLDGASM
37 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The QED and me - Page 4 Empty Wireles + QED

Post  Reg Wilson Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:22 pm

My good mate Mr Beatty sent me down a pair of TDK wr700 Wireless Headphones to test On the QED, as the Jabra Noise Cancelling phones, although good, were wired, and I was forever pulling out the plug to the headphone end every time I put the detector down. The transmitter for the TDK's is quite small and plugs straight into the QED control box, and the volume controlled phones have a great clear sound. I was running a Nuggetfinders 25" mono coil which is super light, very smooth and stable, and surprisingly sensitive on even small targets when used in conjunction with the QED. I confidently feel I'm getting to know and like this detector more each day.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 624
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

The QED and me - Page 4 Empty Re: The QED and me

Post  Guest Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:03 pm

Reg Wilson wrote:My good mate Mr Beatty sent me down a pair of TDK wr700 Wireless Headphones to test On the QED, as the Jabra Noise Cancelling phones, although good, were wired, and I was forever pulling out the plug to the headphone end every time I put the detector down. The transmitter for the TDK's is quite small and plugs straight into the QED control box, and the volume controlled phones have a great clear sound. I was running a Nuggetfinders 25" mono coil which is super light, very smooth and stable, and surprisingly sensitive on even small targets when used in conjunction with the QED. I confidently feel I'm getting to know and like this detector more each day.

What about the Gold Reg,  what about the Gold?
Is the QED finding any gold for you?
I know you need to get used to using the QED, but........
We want to see some QED gold.
That's what gold detecting is all about, finding and digging up gold.

Back to top Go down

Post  Reg Wilson Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:13 pm

Uncle Bob, finding gold requires patience, so does mastering a new detector. This is a journey, not a race.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:22 pm

Ok, ok, Reg.
No gold means, no gold and your reply sums it up. Rolling Eyes
I will take on board some more patience  pirat

Back to top Go down

The QED and me - Page 4 Empty QED in Pegleg gully

Post  Reg Wilson Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Some of the production QED's are now making it onto the scene, and this morning I had a chance to test just how far from each other these units can operate. The answer is, not very close at all.
We chose Pegleg gully at Maldon, as it was close to town, was very rich in its day, and we had never been there before. This gully has seen very little detector action, although the diggings are extensive, and there are both deep and shallow workings, with old puddlers and much worked over ground. There are deep washouts and steep edges, where the QED shines as it handles these with quiet ease. The down side is that there is a lot of metallic rubbish, but at least this gave me a chance to see if I could pick the better signals from the ferrous trash, and the good news is that the QED has pretty good signal definition once you get used to the slightly different response. I was soon digging lead and copper, with the other operator digging a very deep hole for a relatively small lump of lead, which impressed us both. Unfortunately no gold, but the heat made us pack it in by midday, even though the gully was quite shady.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Wantmoregold Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:18 pm

Reg Wilson wrote:
Some of the production QED's are now making it onto the scene, and this morning I had a chance to test just how far from each other these units can operate. The answer is, not very close at all..

I was soon digging lead and copper, with the other operator digging a very deep hole for a relatively small lump of lead, which impressed us both.

Reg what size coils did both of you have on?

Thanks
WMG

Wantmoregold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

The QED and me - Page 4 Empty 2 QED's

Post  Reg Wilson Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:55 pm

I ran the 11'' Elite. He ran the Commander 11''.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack outwest Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:10 pm

Anyone know the waiting time after you get on the list for a QED & what deposit is required ?

V09
Jack
Jack outwest
Jack outwest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:21 pm

Jack outwest wrote:Anyone know the waiting time after you get on the list for a QED & what deposit is required ?

V09
Jack

Give this mob a ring Jack, they are the ones selling it. Very Happy

http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack outwest Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:26 pm

Thanks Dave  Very Happy

Cheers
jack .
Jack outwest
Jack outwest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:10 pm

Jack outwest wrote:Anyone know the waiting time after you get on the list for a QED & what deposit is required ?

V09
Jack

50+ 5-6 days back jack,no deposit.....
goldchaser
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1267
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack outwest Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:23 pm

Hello Reg , Imagine the Consequence’s   if you  find a deep big nugget on flogged ground !
V43

Hope you do
Jack .

Thanks goldchaser for the info on delivery  Smile
Jack outwest
Jack outwest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:18 pm

oh thats 50+ people on list jack not days just to clarify,could be a bit of a wait which im ok with,just in case its a dog but i think its sounding okso far......
goldchaser
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1267
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack outwest Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:29 pm

goldchaser wrote: oh thats 50+ people on list jack not days just to clarify,could be a bit of a wait which im ok with,just in case its a dog but i think its sounding okso far......

Understand what your saying , yes' it will be a wait it seems but don't think it will be a dog , no point in releasing rubbish these days with the power of the net !   Razz

Thanks
jack .
Jack outwest
Jack outwest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:48 am

HI Reg.

You have got me thinking a bit about the hot rock responses of the QED.

How often do you find yourself checking if you are onto a positive hot rock or metal target?
How easy is it to ID a + hot rock? Does the old rule of; If it only signals in one direction of sweep, leave it in the ground, apply to the QED?
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4357
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

The QED and me - Page 4 Empty The chattering class.

Post  Reg Wilson Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:27 pm

Today I took the QED to the Coiltek testing site. Wombat from the PMAV was kind enough to accompany me, and he brought along his 5000 with 12" Nuggetfinder coil.
The QED when shut down remembers the last settings used, and restarts on those settings, so when I cranked it up it was not happy, so it took some adjusting before it was a 'happy camper'. Working on Maldon settings it had trouble picking up most of the targets, however when readjusted it picked up all targets, the larger and deeper ones giving the best response. The first testing was done with the 11" Elite which turned out to be the most difficult coil to tune to. Next we tried the 18" Elite which again needed retuning to get a good response, but gave a slightly better result. All the time Wombat took notes on response and tuning settings. Finally we hooked up his 12" Evolution coil which seemed to be the best marriage of the three combinations.
Now comes the part that many have called out for..... We tested the GPZ 7000 against the QED, and we tested the GPX 5000 as well. Wombat and I were very surprised. I just can't reveal the results, as the howls and screams and personal abuse would be overwhelming.
What should I post? I asked him. He shook his head. "They'll crucify you".

Last edited by Reg Wilson on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Evolution not Elite)
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:31 pm

Reg, we can handle the truth. I remember you said not so long ago, you would say it like it is. We expect no more and no less.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:34 pm

Let us sort out the crucifixion part Reg. Good or bad, many here would be interested in hearing, what you have to say.

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

The QED and me - Page 4 Empty QED

Post  Reg Wilson Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:47 pm

I find it hard to believe the results myself. You really had to be there. The QED is a testy little beast to get right, but when you do get it tuned right, it is really surprising. I have quietly been doing tests in my own backyard with real gold up to 27 ozs, and had trouble believing what I was seeing, as it seems to like real gold better than lead facsimiles, but seeing what it can do at the test site assured me that I was not fooling myself.
I am terribly grateful to Wombat for taking me to the site and for taking notes. He reckons he could make a few bob selling the settings.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:59 pm

Sounds to me like you are at a point where you need to triple check your results and then do them all again before you put pen to paper or finger to keyboard. Coz there are a few people here ready ta jump on ya. Laughingpale
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:06 pm

Bill (Wombat's) credibility,as a respectful member of this forum & the PMAV is beyond reproach here Reg, so I'm glad he was with you, witnessing the testing of the QED. Now take your time in spilling the beans. Laughing

Cheers Kon. Q11

kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

The QED and me - Page 4 Empty Test results

Post  Reg Wilson Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:10 pm

Adrian, why do you think I've been quietly testing in my own backyard, and why was I so pleased to have Wombat with me at the Coiltek test site? Do you think these Cyber chickens will attack Wombat the way they attack me? Let's see. I'm up for it, and I know Wombat will just tell it as he saw it.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:23 pm

adrian ss wrote:Sounds to me like you are at a point where you need to triple check your results and then do them all again before you put pen to paper or finger to keyboard. Coz there are a few people here ready ta jump on ya. Laughingpale

Hey Adrian please dont stir the pot..

I reckon you would also be a great tester of one of these QED's as you have/had most of the older machines.
Plus you are very cluey.
And would also give a honest report.
But you would want to triple check or check some more before commenting
Wouldn't you ?

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:33 pm

Reg Wilson wrote:Adrian, why do you think I've been quietly testing in my own backyard, and why was I so pleased to have Wombat with me at the Coiltek test site? Do you think these Cyber chickens will attack Wombat the way they attack me? Let's see. I'm up for it, and I know Wombat will just tell it as he saw it.

You have got good Back Up behind you mate. 
The natural un contrived wording of your posts and the video and the audio that I could hear suggests to me that the QED has arrived as a competitive gold  detector  although a bit different to set up......And you can bet that that will be where the attacks are aimed at.
I have already got three of my tectas ready for Ebay to be replaced with a QED....Maybe.  Wink
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Reg,
Was that a "12 NF Evolution coil?"
As there is no 12 elite coil?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:38 pm

Sounds like the QED has ground balance issues, No?
If you don't have a test site, then you'll never know if your ground balances are right or not???

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:41 pm

Jen58 wrote:
adrian ss wrote:Sounds to me like you are at a point where you need to triple check your results and then do them all again before you put pen to paper or finger to keyboard. Coz there are a few people here ready ta jump on ya. Laughingpale

Hey Adrian please dont stir the pot..  

I reckon you would also be a great tester of one of these QED's as you have/had most of the older machines.
Plus you are very cluey.
And would also give a honest report.
But you would want to triple check or check some more before commenting
Wouldn't you ?

Yes but it appears that the QED is being held up against the 7000 and that is a very big fish. I have not used any ML PI other than the 2300 and a very quick run with a 7000....Not long enough to get an appreciation of the machines capability. So I reckon Reg and Wombat will do a fair job testing the QED.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Reg Wilson Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:41 pm

Adrian, pity you're in Canberra, as we could arrange for you to play with one, although I know one is now not so far from you. When the owner gets the hang of it (and I know he will, as he's a wizz) we'll see if we can't get a chance for you to see one.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtalkleonora Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:45 pm

are there any in the West?
goldtalkleonora
goldtalkleonora
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2015-06-01

http://www.goldtalkleonora.com.au

Back to top Go down

The QED and me - Page 4 Empty Evolution not Elite

Post  Reg Wilson Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:52 pm

Sorry Uncle Bob, glad you pointed out my mistake. I have now corrected it. No, the QED does not have GB issues, but I am just a bit slow in getting my head around the new technology. The GB is critical in getting the settings right, and settings need to be readjusted with each coil change. It takes a little time to adjust to any new product, and young people do it better. Problem is, I'm not exactly young any more.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum