Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More Mushrooms More Gold

+4
slimpickens
kon61
piston broke
Axtyr
8 posters

Go down

More Mushrooms More Gold Empty More Mushrooms More Gold

Post  kiwijw Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:23 pm

Hi guys & Gals, Mrs JW had a wedding to video so I made the call to hit the hills for the day. The weather wasnt too crash hot so I held off for a bit, but the sun popped out so off I went. Got up in the hills & it clouded in & was looking pretty suss. I had a plan to clear an old timers throw out heap of wild thyme bushes & some large briar rose bushes as I had detected a 5 gram slug on it in the past. Due to the thyme & briar I was unable to get my coil in to a lot of throw out pile. I spent an hour & a half pulling, chopping & sawing to clear a large area. I still had the little sadie coil on the 4500 from last sundays effort at getting skunked. So after a coffee & getting my breath back I hit the old heap. Bloody nothing......affraid  Oh well....I still had the 11" Elite up my sleeve but I continued on down this turned over little gully from the old timers with the sadie.
The land was the greenest I have ever seen it.

More Mushrooms More Gold 20161112_171250_zpsk1gyxdq0

with the rain & spring conditions it was lush with grass & mushrooms.  Q27

More Mushrooms More Gold 20161112_172419_zpscaa30twl

Yum Yum

More Mushrooms More Gold 20161112_171514_zpsmkzjvtee

The grass was wet with the rain & I was hoping for more depth due to the moist ground. Now I have been down this gully so many times with so many different coils & detectors that I wasnt too confident at getting anything. Hence my plan to clear that old throw out pile. My last time down here was with the 4500 & the 11" Elite when I got these

More Mushrooms More Gold 012_zps9b2w05kt

And these LOL

More Mushrooms More Gold 002_zpscgul1wfo

The trend continues....with the mushies any way.

After about an hour I got a very positive signal & thought it was just going to be rubbish. Probably a .22 bullet head from a rabbit shooter. I dig all signals & the beauty of having been down this gully so many times is that there isnt much if any rubbish left that I havnt dug up & removed. Unless it is fairly recent. I dug down on it.

More Mushrooms More Gold 20161112_143010_zpsbbihc6li

Well stone the crows.... A sassy bit of gold  Q16

More Mushrooms More Gold 20161112_143021_zpsul53nuaf

Two sweeps later another loud signal. Got to be crap. Surely.

First dig up on the left

More Mushrooms More Gold 20161112_143528_zpsywgkrmbj

More Mushrooms More Gold 20161112_143829_zpsn6jj9dit

2nd dig......Well bugger me....

More Mushrooms More Gold 20161112_143459-1_zpsmjuanaeq

In less than a minute

More Mushrooms More Gold 20161112_143627_zpsdq8opwr3

That was it for the sadie as the coil had got pretty wet & was starting to false badly. Later inspection showed that the skid plate had worn through in a few places & water & muck had got in between the skid plate & the coil. The rain came in so I bailed back to the wagon for a coffee & to change to the 11" Elite. It took an hour for the rain to button off & I went back to my cleared pile with the 11" Elite. Still nothing. Damn. I got many signal that all turned out to be quite deep .22 lead bullet heads & a few shot gun pellets. Not one .22 shell casings as I would have got those earlier.

More Mushrooms More Gold 20161113_183927_zps9wig06i5

These would have been there for quite a while & as I dig all signals & have been down this gully many times I can only come to the conclusion that (A) it is the 11" Elite coil doing very well or (B) the modded 4500 or (C) both A & B. I did get a faint dodgy signal that sounded like a nail or bit of wire.

More Mushrooms More Gold 20161112_174757_zpsmkkbjw2a

It wasnt deep at all. In fact it was in the grass roots. No wonder why it sounded like a bit of wire or a nail.

More Mushrooms More Gold 20161112_174839_zpsrz7lg01g

That was it for this gully as the rain came back. So I headed off. On my way out & the rain eased off so I thought I would try some where else just before dark & heading home.

First signal was very faint. I dug down on it & it got louder & better. Too loud & too better for my liking as I got further down. Down 18 inches & I was having trouble pin pointing it exactly. The Elite coils are a curse for pin pointing in tight deep holes. Back to the wagon & I grabbed the GB2, my pin pointer & discriminator. Bugger...iron. Oh well I may as well haul it out as you never know....it could be masking a gold target. Has happened many times before. Down the depth of my pick handle which is 24 inches &.....

More Mushrooms More Gold 20161112_194314_zpsd79n8bvv

And that was it. No good target either. Well that was a good work out.... V32

Then a very very faint soft signal. A few scrapes & it had moved. Ah....probable a shot gun pellet

More Mushrooms More Gold 20161112_200016_zpsuuklsmzz

About the size of a pellet...but the right colour.  T06

Another faint signal......&

More Mushrooms More Gold 20161112_204403_zpsagrvs3xx

Well that was it as darkness forced me out & home

All up.... 5 bits for 2.8 grams

More Mushrooms More Gold 20161113_073653_zpsujgpmpdv

Cheers & Good luck out there

JW   V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

More Mushrooms More Gold Empty Re: More Mushrooms More Gold

Post  Axtyr Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:38 pm

Well done JW. Some more nice gold and some great mushrooms there. Stuck at home at the moment, I can't stand the mosquitoes and my car brakes need repairing.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 848
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:41 pm

Awesome work Kiwi, I love your posts Very Happy cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:50 pm

Hmm,hmm. JW,I think the mushrooms are the gold and the gold is a bonus. The best of both worlds,you cant ask for better than that. Well done Q36 cheers

Cheers Kon. Q11

kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:06 pm

Lovely green paddocks..
Some gold
Some mushrooms
Plenty of fresh air and exercise..
What more could you want?

Gee John.. i hope you are keeping a diary of all your posts and pictures.. 
make a damn good book, you tell it so well.

Thanks again for sharing with us all.. Q38

Yep Kon61 i agree with you.. gold is the bonus

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:13 pm

Never mind the bloody mushrooms (although a porterhouse covered over with them is to die for hmmm...) Now where was I? Oh yeah, did any one else see the 14 kilo gold nugget next to the mushrooms, which JW failed to mention! pirat affraid
Great post as usual JW and Happy Birthday! Razz
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:17 pm

Q33 Q33

Needless to say...I agree with everything Slim has said Very Happy Happy Birthday too JW cheers
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:48 pm

JW some very nice finds there. T06 Congrats to you and thanks for the great story, oh in case I forgot I hope you had a great birthday. T19 T17 T23 T21 and Mrs JW spoiled you rotten.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks again guys for the comments & kind words. Slim....I was trying to keep that 14 kilo slug under wraps. You have now let the cat out of the bag. affraid Not quite mushrooms on steak but...

More Mushrooms More Gold 005_zpsbwihe5bu

Cheers Sharkbait & Mike for the birthday wishes.
Kon....yer the mushies are the gold....but not the gold top variety  T31 V32  V10 If you know what I mean lol! But they are going down a treat. I am almost mushied out. Mrs JW cant stand them. Rolling Eyes
Jen....I had thought of keeping a copy of posts a few years back but when I went back over a few sites that I had posted on to save them they had mostly dropped off & gone in to cyber space so lost for ever. So I was a bit peeved with that. I have to admit that the paddocks are the greenest I have ever seen them. Give it a month or two & I am sure I can show you pictures of a dust bowl.
Thanks axtyr for dropping in. Hope you get out there soon.
Piston Broke.....I enjoy sharing my adventures, pics & finds as much as you enjoy seeing them. So thanks for that. It is always great to get out there, see the sights & I enjoy the days out there gold or no gold & I have had a few skunked days lately. Sunday was no different & I got skunked then to but took a few pics.

More Mushrooms More Gold 20161113_140108_zpsuq77ampm

More Mushrooms More Gold 20161113_134754_zpsuafdwghd

Larry the lizard

More Mushrooms More Gold 20161113_154217-1_zpsfdeqwtzy

Cheers all

Best of luck out there

JW  V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Willo Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:05 am

JW,

Far out this post ha everything, great scenery, great food, great shots and to cap it all off great gold! Thanks for posting and hope you and your family are safe.

Ian
Willo
Willo
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2011-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:38 pm

Thank you Ian. Yes me, MRs JW & families are all ok. None of us were in any of the Quake zones. Although MRs JWs daughter & partner who are in Napier were woken up & they both ran outside.
 Nice to see you got away for a swing & got yourself a bit of Victorian gold.   T06 Cheers.

Good luck out there

JW  V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  determined1 Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:39 am

Congratulations KiwiJW. You have done it again.

Great day all round by the looks of it to me. Not a mozzie or an angry snake  affraid in sight either.

Dinner looks good and great to hear you were not directly affected by the quakes.

On the lighter side, does the rise in the coastline mean that we will need to redraw the map? lol!

Bernie
Determined1

determined1
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2013-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:19 pm

Thanks Bernie, The rise in the coastline may create more real estate. lol! NZ is getting bigger. No gold there though. Cheers

JW V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down