Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is a Booster Necessary

4 posters

Go down

Is a Booster Necessary Empty Is a Booster Necessary

Post  brockster2013 Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:35 pm

Hello everyone - we've just spent some time detecting at Clermont . We were told that because we have a GPX5000 we don't need a booster because they have one built into the machine but we talked to quite a few people who are using a booster with their 5000. Would appreciate your comments please if it's necessary to have an additional one. Question

brockster2013
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-07-22

Back to top Go down

Is a Booster Necessary Empty Re: Is a Booster Necessary

Post  Guest Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:48 pm

G'day brockster2013,

Depends on how you operate your 5000 if you prefer to use headphones or speakers. If you use speakers then you can use an external booster, but as you have been told the GPX4500/5000 does have a booster built into the battery. The booster only works when you run a speaker which is the way ML have wired it to work. Hope this helps you.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  hoolahoopa Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:36 am

The only other benifit i reckon to a external booster is your control of it is much easier then scrolling through the detector menu to quieten things down. For examle the bz has a switch to flick on off basically and a easy volume adjust.
Just my opinion

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:24 am

Mike54 wrote:G'day brockster2013,

Depends on how you operate your 5000 if you prefer to use headphones or speakers. If you use speakers then you can use an external booster, but as you have been told the GPX4500/5000 does have a booster built into the battery.  The booster only works when you run a speaker which is the way ML have wired it to work.   Hope this helps you.  

Cheers.

Mike.

Mike, Don't know whether it's gospel but I was once told that the inbuilt booster does not work with head phones so as to prevent possible damage to hearing on start up???
1:You plug in a speaker and the inbuilt booster works.
2:Then you plug in an external booster (eg: B&Z) plug in the speakers and they still work, so in effect you have two boosters in line?
3:We have on windy occasions used headphones plugged into the B&Z, is this wrong?

Your views would be appreciated.

Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:00 am

Nightjar wrote:

Depends on how you operate your 5000 if you prefer to use headphones or speakers. If you use speakers then you can use an external booster, but as you have been told the GPX4500/5000 does have a booster built into the battery.  The booster only works when you run a speaker which is the way ML have wired it to work.   Hope this helps you.  

Cheers.

Mike.

Mike, Don't know whether it's gospel but I was once told that the inbuilt booster does not work with head phones so as to prevent possible damage to hearing on start up???
2:Then you plug in an external booster (eg: B&Z) plug in the speakers and they still work, so in effect you have two boosters in line?
3:We have on windy occasions used headphones plugged into the B&Z, is this wrong?

Cheers
Peter

G'day Peter

When the B&Z booster is plugged into a GPX5000/4500 battery it bypasses inbuilt booster in the battery, so no you don't have 2 boosters, just the B&Z booster, which you can plug the external speakers into, I don't use headphones, I just don't like them.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Is a Booster Necessary Empty Is a Booster Necessary

Post  brockster2013 Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:08 pm

Thanks to everyone for your replies. It sounds like an external booster may be easier. Regards Graham & Joy Smile

brockster2013
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:31 pm

Nightjar wrote:

Cheers.

Mike.

Cheers
Peter

G'day Pete,

I can't really answer this one as I haven't tried the B&Z on the GPX as yet, my son in law has tried to use his with the head phones. I think he said they didn't work properly.  I will ask him next time we call them. Very Happy

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  hoolahoopa Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:30 am

With headphones on the bz you get a sort of electronic hum or hiss which is a distraction for me. It works but you will soon go nuts or deaf very quickly.

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:11 am

davsgold wrote:

When the B&Z booster is plugged into a GPX5000/4500 battery it bypasses inbuilt booster in the battery, so no you don't have 2 boosters, just the B&Z booster, which you can plug the external speakers into, I don't use headphones, I just don't like them.

cheers dave

Thanks Dave,
Was a scuba diver for big part of my life and suffered "divers ear," when metal detecting came along and head phones were the norm had to carry a tissue around with me to dry my ears regularly. Qld Sandy posted many years back how to wire up dual speakers and from then on have very rarely ever gone back to head phones, other than already mentioned, very windy days.

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:41 pm

hoolahoopa wrote:With headphones on the bz you get a sort of electronic hum or hiss which is a distraction for me. It works but you will soon go nuts or deaf very quickly.

If you're getting the electronic hum when using a B&Z with headphones then you need to turn the detector volume down so that the booster volume control will be over the 1 mark, and better still, closer to 2. This gets away from the electronic noise area of the booster. The B&Z is really suited to speaker/speakers as it has a lot of grunt to run them, and almost too much for headphones.
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down