Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there a problem with my WM12?

2 posters

Go down

Is there a problem with my WM12? Empty Is there a problem with my WM12?

Post  Axtyr Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:29 pm

Hi all.

I have only had my 7000 for just under 3 months and I am a little concerned about the battery in the WM12.
I always charge the battery and WM12 on the way home. It takes about 2 hours and 20 minutes to get home and the battery is usually fully charged a few minutes before I get home and the WM12 normally takes about an hour.

A couple of weeks ago the WM12 appeared to be fully charged after about 30 minutes at which time I disconnected it. As the battery hadn't fully charged I plugged it into the mains and completed the charge of both. The WM12 still took about another 30 minutes to appear fully charged. On my last trip away I plugged the WM12 in on the way up there as well.

On the way up there I plugged in the WM12 and it flashed as if charging for 30 minutes after which time it was steady green. I removed the power from the charger and plugged it back in immediately. The WM12 started flashing as if charging and did so for the next 30 minutes after which it again glowed steady. I removed the power and plugged it back in again and it went through the same process.

On the way home it appeared fully charged after about 45 minutes but removing the power and plugging it back in again started the charging process again.
The battery, once fully charged, does not repeat the process if the power is removed and reconnected, it still glows steady once the battery is fully charged.

The only thing I can think of is that under normal circumstances the WM12 will charge until it is full, after which time if the power is removed and then reconnected, the charger will going into a timed charge process for a minimum of 30 minutes or until the WM12 battery is recharged, whichever is the longest.

Has anyone else noticed this for their WM12?

regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Is there a problem with my WM12? Empty Re: Is there a problem with my WM12?

Post  Qld Sandy Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:46 pm

Axtyr wrote:On the way up there I plugged in the WM12 and it flashed as if charging for 30 minutes after which time it was steady green. I removed the power from the charger and plugged it back in immediately. The WM12 started flashing as if charging and did so for the next 30 minutes after which it again glowed steady. I removed the power and plugged it back in again and it went through the same process.
Has anyone else noticed this for their WM12?

regards Axtyr.

Yep. That is what happens.
Cheers.
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:28 pm

After a blown fuse in the 12v charging lead of my 45 some years ago, and the difficulty in replacing it out in the bush ( Used a DVD player fuse, now carry spares) I do not charge detectors until I am back at camp. It could be with the 12v charging lead in parallel with the starting battery, current is drawn from the detectors battery to start the vehicle, hence the blown fuse. ( Now charge the detectors batteries from the standby battery.)

I think this is also mentioned in the 45's instruction manual.

Peter

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:47 pm

I have no idea what the 4500 charging has to do with the 7000 wireless module, but can say that what the OP said is what happens in reality.
Cheers.
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:37 pm

Re (I always charge the battery and WM12 on the way home. It takes about 2 hours and 20 minutes to get home and the battery is usually fully charged a few minutes before I get home and the WM12 normally takes about an hour). To me a potential to blow a charging fuse.

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:08 am

Thanks QLD Sandy for the reply. That seemed like the only reasonable explanation for the 30 time frame.

PeteInSA, although I have had no problem with blown fuses the easiest way around this for me is to plug in the charger AFTER the car has been started. I did have a double plug adaptor which I installed a diode to prevent the battery being used when the car was being started but the charger would only flash red as if there was a problem. Obviously not enough charge current. The charge current drawn isn't very much as I also have an old computer power supply which I have rigged up to supply 12V, and this is what it does supply, which is also not enough to charge the battery as it flashes red as well.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down