Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Insulating a Coil ?

2 posters

Go down

Insulating a Coil ?  Empty Insulating a Coil ?

Post  hugh62 Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:55 pm

I'm not referring to the sides where we tape it up to keep the dirt / moisture out ,rather the top of the coil ,facing us .My idea being that it would cut a lot of interference out ,EMI etc ,and allow the bottom of the coil R/T to be able to concentrate better with out side interference ? . How you'd do this  ?, well admittedly I wouldn't have a clue ,and I'd imagine that coil builders would have probably thought of this as well ! It's just that the other day I was getting x-rayed and was given this cloth , ( about the same weight and size of a tea towel ) ,and I thought well if they reckon that's supposed to insulate me from radiation   scratch  why couldn't the same be done with a coil ? Even just PARTIAL insulation is what I'm mainly referring to here . Anyway I just thought I'd throw this out there ,as I'm sure some one out there could enlighten me . scratch

Last edited by hugh62 on Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 3 months and no response)
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Insulating a Coil ?  Empty Re: Insulating a Coil ?

Post  hugh62 Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:47 pm

Bump
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:28 pm

Try some foam on top of the coil

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:35 am

I don't know if this would work at all, but try putting aluminium tin foil over the top of the coil. A lot will say that the coil will pick up the tin foil. But no it won't because it will be part of the coin. And the coil has to pass over the target to register the target. So if the foil is a part of the coil it won't recognise it as a target. Remember some of use had trouble using the Garrett pin pointer with our GPX detectors coursing all sorts of trouble either turned of or on, until someone came up with the idea for putting it in a aluminium tube and that stopped the problem. 
It may or may not work scratch
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:42 am

Wombat wrote:I don't know if this would work at all, but try putting aluminium tin foil over the top of the coil. A lot will say that the coil will pick up the tin foil. But no it won't because it will be part of the coin. And the coil has to pass over the target to register the target. So if the foil is a part of the coil it won't recognise it as a target. Remember some of use had trouble using the Garrett pin pointer with our GPX detectors coursing all sorts of trouble either turned of or on, until someone came up with the idea for putting it in a aluminium tube and that stopped the problem. 
It may or may not work scratch
wombat Wink
You'll toss the tuning of the coil out by adding foil to it...or any metal....its a pre tuned antenna.
I thought of a top hat for the coil some years ago made of shielding...but was enlightened to the fact it was also thought about long before i thought of it.

As for shielding the pin pointer....thats fine, its not near the detector coil and not part of its tuning. Pin pointers now days have this problem fixed...like the Nokta pointer.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  hugh62 Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:03 pm

You'll toss the tuning of the coil out by adding foil to it...or any metal....its a pre tuned antenna.
I thought of a top hat for the coil some years ago made of shielding...but was enlightened to the fact it was also thought about long before i thought of it.

As for shielding the pin pointer....thats fine, its not near the detector coil and not part of its tuning. Pin pointers now days have this problem fixed...like the Nokta pointer.

Thanks for the reply's people .
          Narrawa ,I'm glad you also had thought about it ,as I can't recall seeing this particular subject raised much ? Now I'm certainly no electronics buff ,but I seem to recall that silica / ceramics get used in electronics ,as a form of anti -interference ,insulation ??? Just wished now I'd asked the radiologist some questions about that tea towel size cloth that was supposed to help protect me .
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down