Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sdc2300 power

+5
Inhere
Narrawa
mvh12345
sluice box
Redfin
9 posters

Go down

Sdc2300 power Empty Sdc2300 power

Post  Guest Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:21 am

Here's something I have heard.

When the battery's lose a bit of power in the SDC2300 then you may also lose the depth that this little detector punches down too. ( not that it punches down real deep ) but any advantage helps.

I feel if it's true, then half the time swinging has been a waste of time Rolling Eyes Specially if I wait till the machine tells me it's battery's are flat

What do you all think? 
change the battery's every couple of hours or wait till the SDC2300 tells me they are flat?

Thanks everyone

Back to top Go down

Sdc2300 power Empty Re: Sdc2300 power

Post  Redfin Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:51 am

I had three sets of batteries that I rotated.
After the initial charge I ran each set till the machine told me they were flat.
After that I changed them daily, whatever their state of charge was.
Now i didn't base that on any research / study but felt comfortable with it.
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  sluice box Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:23 pm

hi jen 58

I do not own a 2300 so cant comment on its performance with batterys but I have 3 batterys for my 5000 and change them usally after 4 hours of detecting
I never run my batterys flat as I do think that you lose performance with battery charge down
as redfin said about having 3 sets and changing them over regularly sounds good but maybe not running them down till the machine says there flat
just my thinking

happy hunting

sluice box
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2015-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  mvh12345 Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:25 pm

I guess if you have concerns you could bury a target and check the sensitivity over several hours , a bit inconvenient but at least it would let you know if there is a problem or not.

mvh12345

mvh12345
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2012-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:31 pm

I have 3 batterys for my 5000 and change them usally after 4 hours of detecting
I never run my batterys flat as I do think that you lose performance with battery charge down
The 5ooo is internally regulated, it wont matter what the voltage is on the battery as long as the unit is working. That means you can run it till the flat batt alarm sounds and you wont lose any performance. Once the alarm sounds, then its game over.

At a guess, id say the SDC is the same.?

EDIT
Spoke to ML  just to confirm regulation in the SDC....it is regulated, meaning you can use the batteries till the alarm sounds with no loss of performance. 7K is also the same.

Last edited by Narrawa on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:42 pm

I believe that Narrawa is right, every Minelab PI from the Extreme on has been internally regulated and will give full depth
until the alarm.
So why would they make the 2300 different?
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:25 am

Thankyou everyone for your reply's.

Hi inhere, 
I just wondered after hearing of a fellow finding over 11ounces of gold using the sdc2300 with a gpx4500/5000 battery attached, ( at least I think that was the type of battery being used with it )
All I know is this guy did have another battery attached and was doing fairly well with it.
Maybe it's just one of those things, you know a confidence booster Laughing Having a larger battery attached.

Thanks again all

Narrawa thanks for doing the ringing up about it, 
at least now I will feel more confident when using my sdc2300.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold Miner Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:37 am

Narrawa wrote:
Spoke to ML  just to confirm regulation in the SDC....it is regulated, meaning you can use the batteries till the alarm sounds with no loss of performance. 7K is also the same.

Thanx mate, good info..
Gold Miner
Gold Miner
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 648
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Back to top Go down

Sdc2300 power Empty RE:SDC2300 POWER

Post  noyungan Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:40 am

Hi All,
Threads are saying the SDC has regulated power-- does this mean that if the current batteries total 6 working volts,one could have an external power supply exceeding that and the detector would allow that cos it regulates it down to 6V?????? Or would the regulator have a heart attack???

Would a higher voltage supply (electrical pressure) cause a dangerously higher current flow as opposed to voltage thus blowing the regulator amongst other things????

Does anyone know the voltage/current parameters of the SDC other than going to ML who may not want to divulge this info????

For an oldie like me the SDC is heaven sent and while I may wish to improve its performance I don't want to blow the whole kaboodle!!!

noyungan

noyungan
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2015-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Dozer Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:15 am

The 2300 can use normal C batteries at 1.5 volts each or NimH rechargeables at 1.2 volts each.
So you have either 6 volts or 4.8 volts being presented to the regulator. And that is how it came out of the factory.
Before doing anything else to the power supply, ponder that conundrum and see if it clarifies your thinking.
The regulator will be set somewhere below 4.8 volts.
My advice is this, carry spare batteries that are fully charged, swap them out when you feel the need and most importantly
If someone is claiming increased performance from a bigger better, blow it out your bum power supply, nod wisely and walk slowly backwards.

If you have to do something to improve the efficiency of this awesome little machine, spend your time on things like armrest adaptions, handle padding, swing aids etc.  All of these will make your life more comfortable and you will hear the faint signals later in the day that mean more gold.

Last edited by Dozer on Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : punctuation)

Dozer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2012-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:23 am

Q33

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:11 am

I also agree Dozer

If you think you need depth then use another Detector use the SDC for what its best at picking up all the crumb the other Detectors have trouble with.

I sold my 2300 at 5 weeks for just that reason just missed out on some deeper target I had, but worked like no other detector on cleaning up the crumbs, I just bought another one ,why you say ? Easy I heading back up to Tibooburra 2016 and I don't think I will be swing the 4500 or the 7000 that much while I' m out there.

Still wish they put it all into a 30/30 case .

Cheers
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:35 pm

Detrackozi wrote:

Still wish they put it all into a 30/30 case .

Cheers

G'day Detrack

Be a pioneer mate, and put it in a 30/30 housing yourself, how hard could it be. Laughing

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:39 pm

G'day Dave

All good I hope let me say there is a very good chance that might happen as the 30/30 are getting very cheap in the second hand market and got my 2300 cheap as well so could have a good handling 2300 by this time next year Very Happy

Just think how easy it would be to swing all day8)
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:14 pm

Detrackozi wrote:G'day Dave

All good I hope let me say there is a very good chance that might happen as the 30/30 are getting very cheap in the second hand market and got my 2300 cheap as well so could have a good handling 2300 by this time next year Very Happy

Just think how easy it would be to swing all day8)  

I hear ya mate, one option to me, it makes sense to have it the way it is, and 2nd option to have it in a 30/30 housing, call it the model v2 or something, not everyone wants to have it fold up to fit in a back pack or water proof.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down