Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coiltek 18 x 12 Elliptical Mono Goldstalker

Go down

Coiltek 18 x 12 Elliptical Mono Goldstalker Empty Coiltek 18 x 12 Elliptical Mono Goldstalker

Post  MacRob Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:22 pm

I recently purchase a new Coiltek 18x12 and noticed that there is a 3mil space between the inner part of the coil and the skid plate that moves when pressed together which would allow dirt and gravel to get in. I called the dealer and asked him if this is normal and he said they are all the same and I should just tape the inner sides of the coil. I did this but I don't believe it's satisfactory as the tape comes away and dirt works its way in.
Has anyone else had this problem and is it acceptable, all my Nugget Finder coils are a very snug fit with no movement and very little gap between the plate and coil. Rob

MacRob
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2010-12-06

Back to top Go down

Coiltek 18 x 12 Elliptical Mono Goldstalker Empty Coiltek 18x12

Post  Guest Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:22 pm

Hi Rob,

My Coiltek 18 x 12 also has a small gap between the coil and skidplate (approximately 2-3 mm mainly under the area where the coil lead enters the coil plate). It appeared that the skid plate did not really match up (all that well) with the main body of the coil ?? I ended up wrapping coil tape around the (top and) bottom of the centre spoke and this held the two parts togeather without any further problems. I usually do a check for dirt etc under the skid plates every time I re-tape the outer sides of the coil when the fabric wears out [I also do this regularly with the nuggetfinder coils as well]). I agree, the nuggetfinders appear to have a closer skid plate/coil fit and they are more cosmetically appealing. If the gap on your coil is excessive, you could try fitting another plate to see if this helps or conversly liase with Coiltek/dealer to have the coil/plate/fitting reviewed by the manufacturer. Another thought may be to make a closer fitting skid plate (for example out of a thin sheet of Lexan (I have seen Lexan plates used on Nuggetfinders with good results - other forum members may be able to provide more detailed information on the suitability of this material). Cheers De

Back to top Go down

Coiltek 18 x 12 Elliptical Mono Goldstalker Empty Re: Coiltek 18 x 12 Elliptical Mono Goldstalker

Post  MacRob Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:12 am

Thank you for your reply De. I think I will contact Coiltek and see what the go is. I believe the skid plate should not have the gap and movement that it has as it will allow much more dirt in than normal. Rob

MacRob
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2010-12-06

Back to top Go down