Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daylesford Vic

+2
Kon61gold
staples61
6 posters

Go down

Daylesford Vic Empty Daylesford Vic

Post  Guest Mon May 31, 2010 10:38 am

Hi guy's I'm thinking of going up to Dayleford Vic. on the long weekend (Queens Birthday). This will be the first time up in this area, and I was wondering if the area is good for detecting or is it mainly just deep mine area only. Any general knowlage would be gracefully recieved. I plan to be there for about 5 days, and have got Stephen Barnham maps to help me, that gives me some info, but I would like others that may have detected this area of their opinion as well. It is an area that dose not seem to come up in conversation very offen,so any info would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks Wombat

Back to top Go down

Daylesford Vic Empty Re: Daylesford Vic

Post  staples61 Mon May 31, 2010 8:58 pm

Wombat,

I got 3 bits out of the one hole in Schicer gully a few years back(5g,2g&0.1g). Its a deeply sluiced gully.Never found anything else after going back a few times. The top end has a lot of junk. Always assumed my find was dropped by someone at some time.Its mountain goat country and helps if one leg is longer than the other!
Good luck. Let me know if i missed any.
Staples61

staples61
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Mon May 31, 2010 9:12 pm

Hi Wombat

Unfortunately some people find the place distasteful, but it is a tourist place with a whole range of people of various types. I havent had any problems walking or enjoying the place as do a large number of families, and would recommend it as a place to enjoy, with the areas around the Daylesford Lake very picturesque

The better caravan park is the Lake Victoria CP near the sport oval but if you want a bit more earthy feel then the Jubilee CP is the one for you.

There are a number of areas to detect but the area to the south to Sailors Falls has been very heavily detected. More success can be had by driving out towards Eganstown then turning right on Basalt road and trying the areas up this road. I have had success and I know of others who have been successful as well. Basalt Road will take you to the other side of Hepburn Springs and there are a lot of interesting places to detect.

However like a lot of places, you have to get lucky so I wish you well

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 31, 2010 9:53 pm

Thanks Fellas for the kind remarks and info. Jefgold I have alread booked in at the Lake Victoria Caravan Park. I have also been put in contact with a chap that live at Egalstown and he is going to show me a few spots at he has had some success in the past. Also I got on to Google Maps and had a look at Basalt Rd. The area you mentioned, looke like it is a pine forest area, is that the area you ment or is it further up the road?

Cheers and thanks
Wombat

PS. Any more info from anyone would be gratefully received.
Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:56 pm

Hey wombat have you looked at the geovic website, it should give you an idea of where the reefs and leads are.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:52 pm

Hi Wombat

There are a lot of pine forests around Daylesford including up Balsalt Rd, but there is a lot of gold diggings as well which are not covered by the forests. There are diggings and workings all along the road and they all produced gold so good luck

Jeff

Last edited by Jefgold on Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:25 pm

The long weekend up at Daylseford was quite rewarding with 2 small nuggets being found. A 3.1 grammer found in a pine forest that had just been stripped of it's trees up a long Basalt Rd. and another found by Goldenbrown at Champaign Gully .2gram. Then we headed up to a spot we know of at Chewton were I found a 1 gram chunky piece and Goldenbrown found 2 small nuggets both about .2grams each. 5 nuggets all up for the weekend. Daylesford Vic Icon_biggrin We stayed at the Victoria Park C/van Park. It is a well kept park, but I would not recommend it as the managers are very rude and un-friendly to thier paying guests or any Guests that you may have visiting you at the time. Daylesford Vic Icon_evil They need to hone up on thier people skills, and as this was noticed and remarked by many others that were staying there at the time. I would like to thank everyone for thier info about Daylseford as this help in making it a very succesfull and enjoyable weekend. "Thank You all" Daylesford Vic Icon_lol

Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:26 pm

Well done Wombat & Goldenbrown, makes a very enjoyable weekend.....except for the accomodation of course. (good thing they aren't doctors, sounds like they are running out of patients Daylesford Vic Icon_lol )

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:09 am

Hi Wombat

Congratulations to you and your mate on your finds, it is certainly getting harder to find but at least you found some.

Thanks also for your comments on the Caravan park, however there are two sides to every story and generally I have found the place ok. It is still a better place to stay but that is up to the users.

Jeff

Last edited by Jefgold on Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbrown Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:58 am

Hi guys
Just like to say thank you to Wombat, CJ and the lovely ladys for the first class hospitality. It made the gold a bonus.
I had a great time and it was good to see bill finding the good stuff. Awesome nuggets, well done mate. Thanks guys,
cheers, goldenbrown... Daylesford Vic Icon_biggrin
goldenbrown
goldenbrown
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:11 pm

Yer Queens Birthday weekend rate for 2 people. The park has a 3 & 1/2 stars Powered site for that weekend was $29. per night for 2 people. Daylesford Vic Affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:52 pm

Wombat I have just returned from Daylesford. I found the owners completely opposite to which you have stated.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:36 pm

I think we get the picture relating to Daylesford. There are always two sides to every story and most people react to the how they are treated. Lets leave it there .

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Daylesford Vic Empty Daylesford Vic is a beautiful part of country suburbia.

Post  24kt Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:07 am

Daylesford Vic is a beautiful part of country suburbia.

The amount of times i have been there and just admire the rock formation and landscape. Has anyone else had any recant trips and gold detecting in all the right places ?

Seems there are many old diggings around the area ???

cheers
24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-10-18

Back to top Go down

Daylesford Vic Empty 24kt does Daylesford Vic !!! LOL

Post  24kt Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:38 am

Daylesford Vic what can one say a beautiful part of victorian country life style.

Did some detecting around the area of Daylesford Vic and no luck at find any spec of gold but never the less was a nice days outing.

Studying several different maps indicating some potential for find something other than a lot of rubbish in the area I was in. More hours needed to cover more ground.

Maybe organise a " golddetecting.forumotion.net " forum members day out there and a BBq and spin a yarn or two!!!any takers ??

cheers

24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:26 am

24kt wrote:

Maybe organise a " golddetecting.forumotion.net " forum members day out there and a BBq and spin a yarn or two!!!any takers ??

cheers

Good idea 24kt, count me in !

Phil

Back to top Go down