Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have you tried your SDC on noisy Tertiary basalt?

3 posters

Go down

Have you tried your SDC on noisy Tertiary basalt? Empty Have you tried your SDC on noisy Tertiary basalt?

Post  Tributer Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:13 pm

Are there any members who have used the SDC in basalt deep leads with lots of basalt boulders, or in other locations with lots of basalt. Weathered basalt gives a sweet signal that I have never been able to beat. Many tableland gold deposits have nuggets sprinkled within a red soil peppered thickly with basalt cobbles that all sing.
So if you know the type of Tertiary basalt I'm talking about please tell me how your SDC worked with it..
Cheers Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Have you tried your SDC on noisy Tertiary basalt? Empty Re: Have you tried your SDC on noisy Tertiary basalt?

Post  GoldHound Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Good question there Tributer
I'll take mine to a spot I got near ------la out your way and give it a crack in the basalt mate I'll let ya know.
I have to visit old Tex any way, so its a good excuse.
It is promising though as it handled the conglomerate hot rocks at one of my patches no worries, didn't detect a single one.
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2014-01-06

Back to top Go down

Have you tried your SDC on noisy Tertiary basalt? Empty Re: Have you tried your SDC on noisy Tertiary basalt?

Post  Reno Chris Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:22 am

In Alaska USA the place we worked had several different basalts and most of them it ignored, but one particular type it would sound off on pieces about the size of your fist or larger. Luckily there were not many of these.
Reno Chris
Reno Chris
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:29 pm

I managed to get a friend to try his SDC on the Tertiary basalt near home last weekend. The SDC screamed out with the best of them when waved over a typical softball sized basalt cobble. Even an air swing way above the basalt produced a a super loud scream and very positive target response.
The SDC would pay for itself in many spots i know but as far as basalt deep lead detecting goes i will continue poking between basalt cobbles and looking for bare rock-shallow soil spots amongst the basalt to swing the coil. (Unfortunately a good discriminating relic detector and iron reject don't cut it in the basalt either)
Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down