Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Perks and Jerks of the SDC 2300

+4
mossesgoldstein1
CostasDee
kon61
Black Al
8 posters

Go down

Perks and Jerks of the SDC 2300 Empty Perks and Jerks of the SDC 2300

Post  Black Al Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:13 am

Hi members I have been using the SDC over the past week and my opinion of the machine are as follows, the machine is an asset to any serious prospector! It has is good points and has its bad ones too! But as for finding gold it performed extremely well. I managed to find gold in every flogged location I tried it in.

First of all for it size and portability it gets a 10/10.

For its sensitivity it out does the GPX 5000 on nuggets 0.5 and under for depth by far. So it gets a 10/10 for small gold on depth and signal response.

For its extended use when swinging it gets a little heavy as it not the most balanced machine and has no provision for a bungy cord! So it scores a 6/10.

When digging a target and you place down the detector it tends to fall over as it has no feet, this can become a little a anoying but with time you will get used to how to lay it down by flattening out the coil to keep it standing. So it scores a 5/10.

The folding armrest is a little bit of a nuisance as it folds back up as you go to insert your arm back in and can be a two handed operation. So it gets a 3/10

The volume control on the SDC is limited as it only controls the threshold and does not change the volume of the target. When using the loud speaker it can be heard from quite the distance, so it may give away your spot to other unwanted people in the area! So it scores a 3/10.

The loud speaker it also in a bad spot for all the right handed operators as the speaker is on the right hand side of the machine, this can make those quite targets a little hard to hear! It should have two speakers, one on the left & one on the right and be user defined! So it gets a 5/10

The C size batteries are a great idea making battery costs affordable in comparision to a GPX replacement. The only downside to this is the selfish litter bugs who throw disposable batteries into the goldfields when they go flat. I still pick up batteries people have thrown out from the VLF days. But otherwise for the responsible prospector a great idea. So it scores an 8/10.

It's wearability is not the greatest as it can get marked very easy just like a GPX, this can be avoided once there are accessories available. But I must admit it a very robust unit, also being Water Proof makes cleaning a breeze and keeps out the terrible goldfields dust and dirt. So it scores a 8/10

For its set up time and pack up time it score a 10/10

As for it available accessories it has 2 options. A set of waterproof headphones & a backpack.  Scoring a 1/10

So you want to use your favorite headphones? Guess what you can't. It has been fitted with a different plug. I can only assume that this was done to give it it's waterproof ability. So it scores a 2/10

Ease of use and it's non bump control knobs are one of its best features, this I like as you have to pull the knob up before turning it to desired function. This is clever as once it's set it stays that way. Scoring a 10/10

Using the SDC on hot ground, not a problem as I only got one ground noise and one hot rock in the worst place I know. Now if I have had used the GPX I would have dug a least a dozen ground noises and hand full of hot rocks. So it scores a 10/10.

Got power lines of fences that emit EMI where you find gold? The SDC had no problem working around these areas. I had the pleasure for the first time in these areas. So it scored a 10/10

Would you use the SDC to find all your gold on a patch? My opinion would to go over your patch with your GPX, then go clean all the left overs with the SDC. The SDC didn't have any problem finding real deep targets, and I'm talking 500mm deep. Not as deep as a GPX but good enough for someone who can't afford both.

Now for my overall opinion on the SDC would be if you a serious operator/fulltime you would be crazy not to buy one. As for the hobbyist a great midrange machine that brings results to the table. Yes I have knocked the machine in a few bad points, but the machine does what it says it does, it actually finds gold and in my first week of using it has found well over 40+ nuggets ranging from 0.05g to 0.77g. So the machine has great potential to pay for itself many times over without trying too hard.
Hope this post helps out any questions people may have .
Take care members and keep digging.
Regards Black Al.
Black Al
Black Al
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2013-01-01

Back to top Go down

Perks and Jerks of the SDC 2300 Empty Re: Perks and Jerks of the SDC 2300

Post  kon61 Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:30 am

Much appreciate your feed back report,on the use of the SDC 2300 Black Al. cheers 

Cheers Kon. T25 
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:26 am

Great overall review there Black Al. Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:25 am

G'day Al

Thanks for your report on the SDC2300, good to see reports coming in.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:41 am

Black Al you were saying that you have dug down 500mm, at is 20" in the old scale. Is that a typing error or is the depth correct and on what size target was that? Also you were saying you have found now 40+ nuggets with the 2300. Could you let us know what would the total weight be for that amount please. And what would be the ratio of rubbish (bird shot ect) to good targets. I know that depends on the area. The areas that you tried out the 2300, had you first been over it with a GPX machine ?
wombat  Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post  mossesgoldstein1 Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:20 am

hello, what happenened to topic I cant find it,
mossesgoldstein1
mossesgoldstein1
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2014-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post  matelot Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:27 am

mossesgoldstein1 wrote:hello, what happenened to topic I cant find it,

Old prospectors magic mate  T02 

Matelot  pirat 
matelot
matelot
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2010-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:48 am

Where has the topic. "SDC 2300 Minelabs New Mid Range Detector" disappeared to

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:49 am

Great report Black Al...makes me want to get one to go back over much ground I've worked in the past...much more to find....

Mosses...to put it into parlance..I think the thread got circumsized mate.....Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:25 am

Ahhh well stuff happens.

Like when I went to the dentist a couple of weeks ago to have some fillings fixed. ......24 hours later my jaw locked and I could only open my mouth a cm until  a day or two ago.
Lost 2.5 kilos  Very Happy but it is loosening up a bit now, should be ok in a week or two. An interesting unforseen circumstance that I could have done without....coz it hurtied a little bit. Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:41 am

Good to see your back on your own Topics again, anyway Adrian.....circumscision is generally at t'other extremity mate...and they generally can't walk for about 18 months after it..... Very Happy .. Arrow

Back to top Go down

Post  pinpointa Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:08 pm

Excellent breakdown on the the sdc Black Al. Well like all Minelab detectors designed here in old Oz and manufactured in Malaysia. As with the ATX made in the U.S OF A.

Well the sdc2300 wins hands down over the ATX weight wise , been able to handle the minerialisation miles better not having to worry about keeping the coil just off the ground as with the ATX , The sdc is miles more sensitive to sub gram nuggets and has a higher sensitivity settings.

And you can keep the coil on the ground where you are not loosing any depth . To me the ATX is more a water detector and relic machine.

Regards O2findit.  Very Happy 
pinpointa
pinpointa
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2014-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:24 pm

mossesgoldstein1 wrote:why are you making references to my circumcision. quite disgusting and uncalled for. what has that got to do with the merritts of an atx over the new mine lab toy.

Mosses lighten up a bit mate. I know we have some on here that will take the Mickey out of you or anyone else if they let them. Don't take any notice of them. Just make good but constructive comments and if they stir back at you, then it will be like "Water of a ducks back" Don't give them ammunition just so they can shoot back at you. Eventually you may get their respect. If not who cares. But if you make comments about anything, make sure you have something to back up your statements. Being new to the sight is hard at the beginning and specially if you are making comments that others find hard to believe or just don't agree with you. I've been on this site since 2009 and have over 2670 posts up and how did I last the long :- 1st I enjoy the site and the info I get. 2nd the many friends that I've made from this site over the years. 3rd The management here do a great job of controlling the site. (even though they sometimes accidently deleted some topics. Sorry Kon I couldn't help my self mate  Rolling Eyes ) Last but not least it is one of the best sites that you can find about prospecting on the  World Wide Web in my books.
So mate just remember "Be a Duck" and let the water just run of your back and you will get on fine and eventually make many friends on the site like I did.
wombat  Wink

Last edited by Wombat on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:39 pm

That's aright Bill.I don't hide behind my mistakes,nor cover them up.I owed all here who contributed towards the performance of the SDC 2300 thread an explanation and I believe I'v done that. But maybe its worked out for the better,for I have created a new permanent thread regarding the SDC 2300 under "All about metal detectors" open to comment/discussion,where hopefully,this one won't disappear. Laughing 

Cheers Kon. T25 
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Al Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:57 pm

Wombat wrote:Black Al you were saying that you have dug down 500mm, at is 20" in the old scale. Is that a typing error or is the depth correct and on what size target was that? Also you were saying you have found now 40+ nuggets with the 2300. Could you let us know what would the total weight be for that amount please. And what would be the ratio of rubbish (bird shot ect) to good targets. I know that depends on the area. The areas that you tried out the 2300, had you first been over it with a GPX machine ?
wombat  Wink 

Hi Wombat,
In regards to depth it was no mistype. Unfortunley it was a Donkey shoe that I found at that depth, it was in the upright position hence sounding like a good target. But at the end of the day it can still see at that depth and possibly a little deeper on the right target. Now for your answer on the weight of the nuggets, a little under 9 grams. So at today's spot rate of around $46 per gram that's a bit over $400 worth of finds, that's ten percent if the machine. The areas I was trying I have been over with a GPX 5000, and was surprised that there were so many little targets I didn't hear!  I did find a lot of bird shot and bullets and small rusty iron that I thought I had already cleaned up. It just goes to show how many invisible targets are in the ground till the right machine goes over them. This just only makes me think of how many kilos of gold still sit in every goldfield.
Regards Black Al.

Last edited by Black Al on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)
Black Al
Black Al
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Al Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:16 pm

I forgot to mention that the pro swing 45 is compatible with the SDC 2300 as it comes with a Velcro bugie attachment for the bungie cord. My wife uses the pro swing and swears by it too, no more sore shoulder which means a pleasant campfire & dinner at the end of the day!
Black Al
Black Al
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:29 pm

Good report there Black Al
I see we pretty much share the same like's / dislikes about the SDC 2300

GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2014-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:56 pm

Good reportBlack Al. It good to see a well balanced review.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:36 pm

larry303 wrote:Good to see your back on your own Topics again, anyway Adrian.....circumscision is generally at t'other extremity mate...and they generally can't walk for about 18 months after it..... Very Happy .. Arrow

I wuz jus indicating that my jaw locking after a couple of fillings was an unforseen happening due to a simple filling procedure. Same as the 2300 topic being deleted was an unforseen happening during what was to have been a simple single post deletion.

The world will go on turning and the sun will rise tomorrow even if all life ceases during the night, God or no God 2300 or no 2300.  Wink 

Back to top Go down