Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wangaratta area

2 posters

Go down

Wangaratta area Empty Wangaratta area

Post  peterau Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:16 pm

Hi All, I'm after some advice if possible. I'm booked in to Laanecoorie for the bash mid october, before I go there I'm thinking of booking into Wangaratta area for a week with my wife and grandson. Does anybody know if there is any detecting areas it that part of the state, (dont mind travelling ) or is it entirely a panning proposition. Also is the fishing any good in that areas and at that time of year. Cheers peterau

peterau
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Wangaratta area Empty Re: Wangaratta area

Post  Guest Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:01 pm

Hi Peterau If you are planning to stay at Wangaratta and don't mind a drive, you can try Yackandandah. It is about 1hr drive from Wangaratta through the historic towns of Eldorado and Beechworth. Both of these and including Yackandandah have very good caravan parks. There is a couple of spots that you can detect at Yackandandah. Ask the local ranger he may be able to put you on to an area or you can ring Bill Gleeson of the local PMAV branch on 03-57441263.
wombat  Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post  Auger Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:21 pm

Hi Perer...
Yep - Eldorado & Beechworth are nice country and are not far from Wang'.

Punch "Chiltern - Mt Pilot ", "Beechworth Historic" and "prospecting guide" into Gargoyle and it should come up with two PDfs to show where you can prospect in those NPs. Note that each map only "marks-up" its own NP.

There are also areas of State Forest adjacent to the NPs which should be entirely available for prospecting etc. HOWEVER, the person/s at the Beechworth Information Centre is/are under the impression that the SFs are NOT open to prospectors. They maintain that the Parks Ranger will come down HARD on anyone prospecting in areas not marked on the NP maps ! Suspect  That sounds like a juristiction "non-event" to me ?
The "Beechworth State Forests" (DPI) PDF is not showing online at the moment to allow an initial check. a word with DPI (or whatever they are called this week) person may be enlightening.

BTW - Reedy Creek is raging at the moment and I was too chicken to cross at the ford on the Woolshed Rd between Eldorado and Beechworth.  No  There were a few keen people working the creek with a high-banker etc. It was freezing !

I believe the rivers in the area are pretty good - but I am no fish-head etc.

Cheers
Auger
Auger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post  peterau Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:03 pm

Thanks for replying and for the info Wombat and Auger. Gives me things to research. Will be doing the touristy ned kelly things as well , never been over that way before. Is there anything I should not miss that might not be in the local tourist brochures. Cant wait for October. My missus has just had surgery so cant get away just yet. Hopefully might fit in a couple of weeks before october if she recovers in time. Itching. Wish the designated fossicking areas in Sth Aust were worth the bother. peterau

peterau
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:40 am

Hi Peterau
Have a look at the HUGH dredge just out side of Eldorado. The water Falls at Beechworth also the jail and Court house that Ned Kelly and his mum spent time in.
wombat  Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post  peterau Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:18 am

Thanks for that Wombat, I've put them on my list. Cheers peterau

peterau
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down