Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi From SE Queensland

5 posters

Go down

Hi From SE Queensland  Empty Hi From SE Queensland

Post  Slider65 Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:29 am

Hi all
My name is Chris and i am new to the forums. I have been looking at getting into a bit of prospecting as my missus and i own a couple of cattle properties out on the southern downs in QLD not far from Pikedale and i have family that have cattle properties up around Cania Dam just North of Monto were i spend a lot of time camping, Hunting and fishing. I have been looking at getting a couple of detectors. At the moment i am leaning toward a Minelab GPX 5000 Pro for a PI unit and was thinking of a Eureka Gold for a VLF unit. I am enjoying all the helpful information in the forum.
Cheers Chris

Slider65
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-07-01

Back to top Go down

Hi From SE Queensland  Empty Re: Hi From SE Queensland

Post  delapan Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:53 am

Hi chris, welcome to the forum, lots of good people here and plenty of good information and remember there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers. Enjoy your new addictive hobby, gazza
delapan
delapan
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:10 pm

Welcome aboard Chris. The Minelab 5000 is definitely the best detector out there. But the Eureka is a piece of crap. I would go with a Fisher Gold Bug 2 to look for the finer gold. IMHO, Cheers, Harry.
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:39 pm

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.  I have a GPX 5000 that I am happy with - my 'retirement' present to myself.  I do use Nugget Finder coils with it as I find them more 'sensitive' than the Commander.  Sorry, don't know much about other detectors but no doubt other forum members may help you there.

There was some reef mining around Pikedale and Leyburn and I have detected in permitted areas around the property Glendon and Durakai & Talgai State Forests.  Maybe there are some areas on your properties, depending where they are, worth detecting.

Good luck with your choices.

Annie
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:32 pm

Back in the VLF days there was a guy at Moonford that used to sell gold to Cania gorge national park tourist in the early 1990s. There is evidence of manual gold working near Cania gorge caravan resort.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 936
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Slider65 Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:35 am

geof_junk wrote:Back in the VLF days there was a guy at Moonford that used to sell gold to Cania gorge national park tourist in the early 1990s. There is evidence of manual gold working near Cania gorge caravan resort.

There is still gold to be found up around Three Moon Creek which runs thought my cousins property around the top of Cania Dam. There are a lot of working claims in the area, Some small working by hand and some bigger running heavy earthmoving gear and crusher units, And when driving the back road on the NW side of Cania dam there are a lot marked claims between the edge of the road and the property fiences.

Slider65
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-07-01

Back to top Go down