Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting finds.

Go down

Interesting finds. Empty Interesting finds.

Post  Axtyr Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:49 pm

Hi everyone.

During my 8 trips out I have found several interesting items other than the usual empty cartridge cases and .22 calibre slugs.

The 2 coins are an 1845 English Shilling and a 1910 Australian Threepence.

The other item was most interesting. I dug it up in 3 pieces and the first and largest piece was measured at 16" deep when it came out. I was using the 8" Commander mono coil. My wife believes it was used to snuff out the candles. I was really amazed that this little coil would pick up this piece at such a depth.

Interesting finds. IMG_1817_zpsfcd9ba2d

Interesting finds. IMG_1816_zps5db1a86d

Last edited by Axtyr on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:25 pm; edited 16 times in total

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Interesting finds. Empty Re: Interesting finds.

Post  Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:59 pm

Hi Axtyr

Very nice finds.
I like the shilling and threepence.. T12 

Not sure about the candle snuffer.. Thingy.. Never really seen one.. Don't think scratch 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:39 pm

Like the coins Axtry and I think your wife could be right about the candle snuffer. Yes I got to agree with you about the 8" coil, They are very much under rated. Well done mate
wombat  Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:31 am

The shilling was also found with the 8" coil at about 6" deep. What is even more impressive about the cone shaped item find was that I was having trouble with my detector at the time. I had replaced all the electrolytic caps and the detector hadn't been working properly for a couple of weeks and this trip was the first time in 3 weeks that I could put on the 8" coil and it functioned to an acceptable degree. To get down the 16" without being ground balanced properly was extremely impressive. Had Mechanic check it out and he got it working and a week later found my first piece of gold with this detector and the 8" coil, a miniscule 0.09 grams at about 1" deep, less than 1/10th of a gram.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down