Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who on here prospects in WA?

5 posters

Go down

Who on here prospects in WA? Empty Who on here prospects in WA?

Post  garretace150 Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:35 am

Just wondering who on here prospects in WA and the biggest nugget you've found over here. Ive only just started getting into prospecting and i cant wait till i can get out there and get some gold!! Just a question for anyone who is in WA.... if you look around the boddinton area in google earth you can see a discolour in some of the trees there. Is it just dead trees or something different cos its quite big patches.

regards
Ryan

garretace150
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Back to top Go down

Who on here prospects in WA? Empty Re: Who on here prospects in WA?

Post  sleepr Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:43 am

G'day Ryan i will have to have a look now that mentioned it...unfortunately my works computer hates G/earth
so i will have to wait until i get home...like you i too have only just started out recently... going out next month
to have a bit of a swing...fingers x
sleepr
sleepr
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  garretace150 Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:14 am

Yeah ive been told of a spot where a mate has cleaned up but its just the matter of getting time off work. i dont have holz till after chrissy and untill then i only get rostered off 3 days every two weeks. so untill then ive just been hammering google earth and tengraph for good spots and some that are closer! I spose ill have to make a trip of it to see wat the brown patches are. So sleepr are you going to try your luck up north or down south?

garretace150
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  sleepr Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:21 pm

Up north way...like you don't have to much time (being in my own business) so some where
close is always handy... have you grabbed yourself a detector yet?
sleepr
sleepr
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  garretace150 Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:57 pm

yeah time is always a factor. well i dont have one yet but my mate has a 4500 and has offered me to use that to get a feel on how to use it before i buy. other than that i have a garrett ace 250 which i do alot of beach combing with. how about yourself?

garretace150
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  sleepr Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:25 pm

I'm going to hire one probably a couple of times for mainly the same reason...
1. I want to make sure this is what i want to do before loading myself up with too many bits and pieces.
2. I don't know which way i will go...buy new or secondhand..i will be using a 4000 so if i'm lucky
enough to find gold there with that...then that's probably all i need.

Don't they say ...doesn't matter what you have got...you have to walk over it in the first place.

Like you i've been researching as well... have made contact with both of the lease holders and have their permission to go out and have a look about.
Are you north or south of river?
sleepr
sleepr
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  sleepr Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:02 pm

Hey Ryan, had a look at Bod's can't see the dead trees your talking about other than general land clearing

Daz
sleepr
sleepr
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  garretace150 Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:18 am

hey daz heres the long lats for the spot i was talking bout.
32 46'08.87" S
116 19'22.64" E
elevation 311m

Its in a few spots there and just looks a bit diff. mabey it has rock there?
Yeah i live north of the river. how bout you?
Are you gona go prospecting on a station up north or on an actual mining lease?

garretace150
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  sleepr Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:41 am

Ryan, I'm south of the river in Canning Vale......thanks for the cords. I will have another look after the w/end...as of tomorrow i'm heading down south for a bit of beach 4x4 action and might catch a bit of the Forrest Rally while i'm in Busso.
I have a permission on a mining lease but you still need permission from the station owners lease i was told... so i got both.

Daz
sleepr
sleepr
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  sleepr Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:49 pm

R, had a quick gander...i think its just different foliage on the trees...i don't think their dead or chemically poisoned lol!
Daz
sleepr
sleepr
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  garretace150 Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:41 am

lol yeah it just looks a little weird. coz its little spots all over the place. haha waz hoping it was a bit of rock poping thru the ground!!

garretace150
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Who on here prospects in WA? Empty dead trees around bod.

Post  broc113559 Sat May 01, 2010 12:27 am

After working on the boddington project I think the dead spot is possibly die-back disease. It's a serious problem that spreads via mud on vehicles and kills most plant life. On the Bodd gold mines road in is a check point manned too check mud on vehicles. Die-back signage have commonly been seen through my life around eneabba and it was only boddingtons induction that enlighten the nature of the disease (I slept the rest Who on here prospects in WA? Icon_biggrin ) so it is not common knowledge.

broc113559
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 01, 2010 5:48 am

Gday

As broc says its more likely that the areas of brown is in fact Jarrah tree dieback, most of the infected areas are a no go anyway, there is nothing to see at Boddington, anything close to the mine is no go and the land is either owned by the mining company or private land.

You would be better off having a look at the Donnybrook area, it has a past history of gold mining and there have been some small nuggets detected in the areas south of the town I believe, once again you will have to get permission to be there, mining companies and private land holders.

Closer to Perth there are spots on the Darling Ranges that have produced gold too, North Dandalup, there is a mine and other workings there, a small amount of alluvial gold was found at the north end of Dandalup creek up near the old mill being found in the area, thats all I have heard about.

There were also some reef workings in the Jarahdale area too apparently, I have never looked for those, but as most of the land is private property these days, you would have to try and get permission to go in and have a look anyway.

I have heard many stories about gold being found along the Darling scarp, including gold being found in the quartz balast stone that was used on the original goldfields railway line, it was mined from somewhere on Greenmount Hill, another time a lady told me that she had stopped on the roadside in the Jarrahdale area in a parking area that had just been freshly re-gravelled and one of her grand kids picked up a nugget out of the gravel, I would assume that if this were true the gravel would have come from somewhere locally.

There is a section about these areas in the gold and ghosts book (no 1 chapter 24)

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  garretace150 Sat May 01, 2010 10:57 am

Hey thanks for the info guys!

Since i dont have much time off work for a few months i recon i'll see if i can get in and have a go at those spots you mentioned stayerAU.
Just wondering if you have had a chance to get in there and have a bit of a look around at the donnybrook area?

Everyone has mentioned that the gold and ghosts books are very good for beginers its just getting your hands on one thats the problem! Who on here prospects in WA? Icon_cry
The state library in perth has them tho!

garretace150
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 01, 2010 1:42 pm

Gday

I have been through Donnybrook on many occasions for one reason or another but never had the time to stop there for a look around, maybe I will do this tomorrow, sunday drive and all.

There was an article in the ggt magazine some time back with a prospector saying that he felt as though the area could produce a patch or two, I dont know how true this would be, as the area is auriferous but I would have thought that the gold would mainly be from the rock, although the author of gold and ghosts mentioned that he has detected small nuggets from the gullies south of the town, and there is reference to fern gold in the area as well.

There have been many places along the Darling scarp both to the North and South of Perth that have yielded gold, there is bound to be spots that have been missed or overlooked, the main challenge would be to get access to it as most is private land or covered by mining tenements.

If I can find the ggt mag article I will post the info here.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Sat May 01, 2010 9:20 pm

hi STAYERAU,

i too would be interested in what you have to say about donnybrook. i have a brother renting a house on a farm towards the end of charley creek road. about a year back i looked into the wa mines dept historic gold site map it tells me there is a ridge about a couple of miles away that has several historic sites on it, plus a road junction closer to town on charley creek road with another old gold site on a hill beside the road.

i didnt take too much notice at that time as i live in qld gympie area. i have never been to WA detecting,
BUT, i am currently planning my first trip over, toward the end of winter. am going to call in and say g'day to older bro. as the property owner has been there for yonks, he might be able to get me onto some of that ground. are you a local to that area? could have possibilities, PM me if you like, who know what the future holds ... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  garretace150 Mon May 03, 2010 11:14 pm

Hi stayerau
Just wondering if by any chance you have a copy of the g+g for wa ?

garretace150
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 04, 2010 8:42 am

Hi garretace

Yes I have both copies of the wa g&g books, why do you ask?, do you need some info from them.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 09, 2010 8:09 am

Gday Kevloraine2

Sorry for not getting back to this thread earlier, been a bit busy of late, anyway I have been going through some information on the Boddington area that I have had stashed away, and have found the article I mentioned that I read some time back in the GGT mag the article is "In search of Donnybrook's fern leaf gold" and was in the 2007 yearbook on page 33.

Some of the other info I have uncovered tells of a local pair of prospectors that tried their luck back in the early days and got themselves 130 ounces in the area somewhere, so from what I can gather there have been some significant finds there in the past.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  garretace150 Sun May 09, 2010 9:57 am

!!! 130 ounces. might have to try and organise a trip down that way!

Hey sleeper have you gone out and had a look yet?

garretace150
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Who on here prospects in WA? Empty donnybrook area

Post  kevlorraine2 Sun May 09, 2010 7:09 pm

thanks STAYYER
i recently went through the last nine years of g g and t and completely missed that article, thanks.
it took me many hours of reading, so i appreciate the effort you went to, thanks again ... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 09, 2010 8:44 pm

Gday Kev

No worries for that, I knew that I had read an article but when and where was the issue, its great getting old isnt it?, problem is that when I re-read something like that it gets me fired up all over again to go and have a snoop about myself , in the process of looking for that article I found another one about a prospector who was getting gold somewhere east of Pinjarra, it never came to light where he was getting it from so maybe that will never be found out and will always be a mystery.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sun May 09, 2010 9:23 pm

Forget about Boddington fellas, microscoptic gold only, not even the 4500 would get a beep on gold West of the Darling range.

Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Who on here prospects in WA? Empty Bodington

Post  Guest Mon May 10, 2010 2:35 am

Hi All,
I can second that as the missus was speaking to the geo that actually found the gold in the first place but the thing is it's everywhere and extraction would be by other means.

Ron

Back to top Go down