Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deep Xterra Beach signal

2 posters

Go down

Deep Xterra Beach signal Empty Deep Xterra Beach signal

Post  moonspud Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi All

I'm only a newbie to MD i've been combing the local beach for a few weeks. Today was my first real run with 15" coiltek 7.5 WOT palm on my 705. It's pretty good so far i think, i found cans 2 foot deep.
But i had a strange signal about half way down to the high tide mark. i swept over it and got 38-42 at full depth arrows, turned 90 degrees and pin pointed it. Dug down a foot and it was still there dug down another foot still there and depth was getting closer. dug some more by hand at this point waiting to find a can. still in there and the walls of the hole were getting to small to swing in without touching the sides and falsing. but i turned the coil vertical and check the sides nothing there. so i thought yep i'm hunting a ghost again like when the it seems the ground tracking doesn't like dry to wet sand for a few moments. so swept from ground level and it's still there. i backed the sensitity down from 25 to 20 still just there. i turned the ground balance up from beach 2 to beach 30 still there. prospect mode agreed. so the dug some more i ended up waist deep digging by hand around 4 foot before i gave up. i filled the hole over and gave up. i passed over that spot a few times over the rest of the day and still the same small target in the same spot.

Was it a target over four foot down??? It was too busy to excavate a big hole so i could swing down lower to pin point. I'll take the concentric down next time and see if it agrees

Any thoughts??

moonspud
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-10-05

Back to top Go down

Deep Xterra Beach signal Empty Re: Deep Xterra Beach signal

Post  big fella Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:24 pm

G'day
Welcome to the forum moonspud and you come from my home town,There are a few on here that work that same beach they will know more,However there will be deep metal down towards the breakwater and also about where McGennans carpark starts, there used to be a jetty there,All the best And if you are comeing to our Gold Bash make yourself known.
Big Fella.
big fella
big fella
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post  moonspud Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:05 pm

Gold Bash??

hmm... not what i was wanting to hear about others working down this way...but i sorta figured that after not getting much on a quick random sweep in front of the surf club. oh well hopefully i get in first Smile

it was down towards the flume where i've been working and practicing my skills... it seems to be the drinking part of the beach so plenty of caps and cans

but i'm skeptical that the xterra is finding a target with such a small footprint down that deep

moonspud
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  big fella Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:22 pm

G'day
Didn't meen to scare you with gold bash,Have a look on the main menu and choose Laanecoorie bash otherwise known as gold bash(no we don't bash you)Check out whats on,A great weekend,you will meet a lot of like minded people and learn a lot and have a great time,might even meet others from your own town,As for detecting around the flume,A very large amount of sand is moved around there from the tides while a lot of rubbish comes out the pipe and gets buried in the sand,Bad spot for rubbish.
Big Fella,
big fella
big fella
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post  moonspud Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:26 pm

lol i wasn't meaning metal detectors are a violent bunch Smile

I'm aware of the rubbish thats why i'm liking the area... plenty of targets good or not. plus it seems not to have been worked much

moonspud
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down