Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

unusual metal detector - tv news ch10 - bingle diamond search

+4
Glug
MS
llanbric
kevlorraine2
8 posters

Go down

unusual metal detector - tv news ch10 - bingle diamond search Empty unusual metal detector - tv news ch10 - bingle diamond search

Post  kevlorraine2 Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:27 pm

did anybody see that unusual metal detector they were useing to try and find lara bingle/michael clarkes engagement ring? never seen anything like it. they were useing it on the footpath, reading the sewer pipes underneath the cement, reinforced as it is with metal rio?

how they expected to hear the sound given by the ring, over the reinforcement iron, or the metal pipes which should have been well down underfoot i cant figure out. and the detector itself had no coil, instead it looked like a oversized red torch.

can anybody throw some light on this machine ... kev unusual metal detector - tv news ch10 - bingle diamond search Confused

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

unusual metal detector - tv news ch10 - bingle diamond search Empty Re: unusual metal detector - tv news ch10 - bingle diamond search

Post  llanbric Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:37 pm

QED

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 414
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

unusual metal detector - tv news ch10 - bingle diamond search Empty Re: unusual metal detector - tv news ch10 - bingle diamond search

Post  MS Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi
Didn't look like any metal detector I know of and nothing could find something that deep and small
I would say the media got it wrong and may have been a high accuracy GPS to locate position of pipes from plans.
Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

unusual metal detector - tv news ch10 - bingle diamond search Empty unusual metal detector

Post  kevlorraine2 Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:47 pm

yes mark, guess it must have been something like that, a GPS, thou i wish them the best of luck. ... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Glug Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:13 am

It was a pipe detector, used to find pipes and cables underground. I've used them a lot in the past, this thing looks like the latest of such.
Glug
Glug
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:37 pm

good day All.
That was an hoax by the plumbing company to get some free advertising, she didn't flush the ring.

Greg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:38 pm

I'd like to clear Lara's pipe out, but not with my detector!!!!!!!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm unusual metal detector - tv news ch10 - bingle diamond search Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:58 pm

I saw that thing on the news and even drew some sketches of it to try and source what it was. The best answer I have (based on the very alien design of the thing) is that it is some sort of LRL. I say this because the user was walking casually up the street waving the bulbous end in different directions and was not looking like he cared at all about what he was doing.

For those who didn't see it, it looked like a large, red (BRIGHT red!), plastic megaphone with two spheres mounted in front of it, one behind the other. It was the strangest thing I've seen and didn't physically seem to represent any known and accepted shape or design that would be useful for detecting.

Would be great if someone could find out what it was so we can look into it. All the pipe-locators I've ever seen had a larger distance (a few feet) between the send + receive modules. These things were about two inches apart. Pipe locators won't find anything smaller than a house brick in most cases. Certainly NOT a small ring.

The bright red color made it look like a toy. Wierd.

Cheers,

Marco
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:15 pm

Maybe Lara likes toys................ unusual metal detector - tv news ch10 - bingle diamond search Icon_twisted

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:27 pm

Claimpeg wrote:Maybe Lara likes toys................ unusual metal detector - tv news ch10 - bingle diamond search Icon_twisted

ROFL!

Cheers,

Marco
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Glug Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:21 am

They wouldn't be using the pipe locator to find a ring, merely to find the sewer pipe in might be in. Find that pipe, flush water it through between two excess pits and there you have it.

Units I've used always had another part which you placed over a pipe/cable where you knew it is, or even attached to it if it was metal and then go track down the signal. One unit I used to used even gave depth of cables that were some right but you never trusted.

I have no idea about the tech behind it.

Steve.
Glug
Glug
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

unusual metal detector - tv news ch10 - bingle diamond search Empty hi m8

Post  nuggertman Tue May 04, 2010 9:58 pm

Claimpeg wrote:I'd like to clear Lara's pipe out, but not with my detector!!!!!!!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm unusual metal detector - tv news ch10 - bingle diamond search Icon_biggrin
i think u are the only i who has not clear her pipes OUT lol
nuggertman
nuggertman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post  broc113559 Thu May 06, 2010 2:38 am

I've seen a pipe and cable locater that is quite large, it is setup like a pram with a screen at the handle. I was told that it used ultrasound to locate the pipes. we still dug up the half the pipes and cables anyway unusual metal detector - tv news ch10 - bingle diamond search Icon_biggrin

broc113559
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down