Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone use emergency beacons in remote areas?

+3
markfitz1
Stealth914
Tributer
7 posters

Go down

Anyone use emergency beacons in remote areas? Empty Anyone use emergency beacons in remote areas?

Post  Guest Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:09 pm

Anyone had anything to do with these.

Although not a replacement for EPIRB's or PLB's it seems like a good idea, from an Aussie company, as an option for those not wanting/able to spend a lot but still wanting some type of alert/emergency beacon if going to a remote area.

http://www.tracme.com.au/default.htm

Back to top Go down

Anyone use emergency beacons in remote areas? Empty Re: Anyone use emergency beacons in remote areas?

Post  Guest Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:43 pm

I can see the use of this... but my concern would be that if you are in a valley then the signal would not get out... UHF is only line of sight.. and I doubt if it would have any serious range that would be required to activate a Ch 5 repeater anywhere.... Most of my detecting is in rough country not wide open plains....so no I wont be getting one.

Back to top Go down

Anyone use emergency beacons in remote areas? Empty Re: Anyone use emergency beacons in remote areas?

Post  Tributer Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:03 am

Hi Mbasko, as you say they are not a replacement for a PLB. In remoter areas I could see they would be of no use. I guess you would be sitting there wondering if help was on the way.

The PLB's that are smaller then a pack of cigarettes and broadcast via satellite allowing rescuers to get your location within 150 metres in usually only a few minutes after activation is the only way to go I reckon.

At $340, and lasting for 6 years, PLB's work out at $50 a year. Cheap insurance in my book if you spend anytime in remoter areas or in the bush on your own.

Anyone use emergency beacons in remote areas? IMG_00031024x683_zps555db1ff
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks for the replies - that little PLB definitely looks like the go. I had concerns about the tracme units too. The UHF radios we use at work are hit & miss at best. Just interested in whether anyone may have one or use one but can see their limitation's for sure.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stealth914 Thu May 09, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi there
I'm only new to panning & digging but as I also do a fair bit of fishing the ocean & 4wding I own an epirb
I know bit bulky but when you go online & register it you can register your vehicle details & trip details
you just have to remeber to change locations so they can get help to you faster by having the trip details already on hand.

Luckily haven't had to use it yet, I bought it in 2007 & on the side of the casing it says battery used by date 2015 I have tested it regularly & seems to work fine but they recomend you change your battery every 6 years.

Stealth914
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2013-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 10, 2013 2:44 am

Thanks for the reply.

Have been lucky with phone coverage in most areas I've ventured so far but last week went to a spot with not even a bar. There were open shafts about, steep creek banks, known brown snake country etc. so will definately be looking into something soon. The little PLB's look to be the go - stick it in your pocket & away you go.

Back to top Go down

Post  markfitz1 Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:37 pm

You could try this, it works well. You can setup a webpage that allows others to follow your travels.   http://au.findmespot.com/en/

markfitz1
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post  marty Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:37 pm

I carry the same as Tributer. Easy to carry, havn"t had to use it yet (touch wood). MARTY

marty
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2010-10-07

Back to top Go down

Anyone use emergency beacons in remote areas? Empty Anyone use emergency beacons in remote areas?

Post  sandy2010 Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Stealth914 wrote:Hi there
I'm only new to panning & digging but as I also do a fair bit of fishing the ocean & 4wding I own an epirb
I know bit bulky but when you go online & register it you can register your vehicle details & trip details
you just have to remeber to change locations so they can get help to you faster by having the trip details already on hand.

Luckily haven't had to use it yet, I bought it in 2007 & on the side of the casing it says battery used by date 2015 I have tested it regularly & seems to work fine but they recomend you change your battery every 6 years.

Hi stealth,
It is important to note the difference between the accuracy of PLBs and Epirbs.....it can mean the difference between life and death in an emergency situation.

Cheers & beers.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:32 pm

markfitz1 wrote:You could try this, it works well. You can setup a webpage that allows others to follow your travels.   http://au.findmespot.com/en/

It looks interesting however when you look at the coverage map they say 99 percent within twenty minutes a message will get through. Perhaps they are not instantaneous? This could be an issue if messages take time to get through. I will check it some more

Back to top Go down

Post  Wedge Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:28 pm

Breitling make an emergency wrist watch with PLB/satellite beacon built in. Not cheap though.

Last edited by Wedge on Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Wedge
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post  iliac Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:23 pm

Guest wrote:I can see the use of this... but my concern would be that if you are in a valley then the signal would not get out... UHF is only line of sight.. and I doubt if it would have any serious range that would be required to activate a Ch 5 repeater anywhere....  Most of my detecting is in rough country not wide open plains....so no I wont be getting one.

Same question i have in mind if there are interruptions in signal , how is it?

iliac
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-12-12

Back to top Go down