Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gpx 4500 Battery

Go down

Gpx 4500 Battery Empty Gpx 4500 Battery

Post  Guest Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:31 am

Gday

Has anybody bought a spare Gpx 4500 standard battery, and if so who does the best price on them?, or if anyone has one that they want to sell let me know thanks.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Gpx 4500 Battery Empty 4500 battery

Post  delapan Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:12 pm

hi stayer, this arvo is was quoted $440 for the standard minelab battery for the GPX4500 !!! regards, gary
delapan
delapan
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Gpx 4500 Battery Empty Re: Gpx 4500 Battery

Post  Guest Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:26 am

Gday Gary

Thanks for the info, yes I was quoted several prices in the same area as well, basically all I wanted was a back up battery so that if I had a failure in the bush then I had something to fall back on, you can rest assured that if you dont have a backup battery thats what you will have trouble with (sods law!)

I have looked at several options and as I still have a coiltek li ion set up I thought that I could utilise that, well that was a bad idea as there are a few issues relating to voltages and pin connections that have to be addressed first, the last hurdle was that even though you can get a cradle with the correct pins to take the battery, the batteries you are using have to be more than 7200mah (both of mine are 7200mah) a 7800 mah one is suggested, as the 7200mah one will shut down at start up apparently, to solve this issue you can get the cradle made with a soft start mechanism from coiltek, so I am advised.

Anyway further to this I would require a booster probably, and then again the pins on the ones I have are different as well, so either need to be changed or buy a new booster, cant lay my hands on the new pins or sockets as yet or I would change them over myself.

I have not fully investigated the Reeds batteries as yet but from what I know it would end up about the same price, so the solution seems to be just buy the minelab one at $440 and get on with it

So back to square one

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:55 am

Hi stayyerAu

"the batteries you are using have to be more than 7200mah (both of mine are 7200mah) a 7800 mah one is suggested, as the 7200mah one will shut down at start up apparently"

I think you are mixing up 7200mha with 7.2volts ? the mha part of things is only the amount of time you will get to use the battery eg" 7200mha will run a machine for 7.2 hours if that machine is using power at 1 amp per hour.

The GPX 4500 needs more than 7.3 volts to run on or it will see the battery as flat and shut down

Volts are like fuel in the tank, and amp hours ( or mah) mille amp hours are like how many litres of fuel in the tank.

hope this helps

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:42 am

Gday Dave

I see what you mean but I probably didnt explain it very well.

The batteries that I have are 7.2 volts and rated at 7200mAh, even though they are 7.2 volts they will charge up to 8.2 or more volts, when run on the cradle they are running on raw power, and when run in the standard set up they are either regulated to 7.2 or 6.8 volts depending on the switch position.

The reason it was suggested to go to the 7800mAh was to simply give a longer run time, starting at 8.2 volts and running to the point of 7.3v where the gpx will see it as being low and then cutting out at 7.1 volts, and also to help at start up as the current draw would be higher.

Using your example: 7200mAh running at 1 amp = 7.2 hours
7800mAh running at 1 amp = 7.8 hours

Anyway thats how it was explained to me

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:27 pm

Hi staayerAu

Yep all good, now I see what your trying to do.

Question: can you get a bigger cradle, like a 4 or 6 and then run through a regulator and bring it back to 8.3 volts.

like this.

Battery pack & regulator

Inside the regulator

Back to top Go down