Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Handing Calcrete, Caprock and Laterites

+4
evan2010
U308
Grandfather Johnson
Col Douglas
8 posters

Go down

Handing Calcrete, Caprock and Laterites Empty Handing Calcrete, Caprock and Laterites

Post  Col Douglas Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:14 pm

G'Day,

This is my first post on this forum. I'm fairly new to the game, but have had some limited success with about 50 or so tiny nuggets. I've also jagged one good nugget at Hall's Creek (1.8oz) last year. My wife and I are retired and we both have 4000s. We're off to WA, via Ophir and the Golden Triangle this winter. Our experience in WA is limited to a 10-day GPA Tour near Hall's Creek last year.

My question, which I've put on another forum, but got little response, regards what tools does one need to handle the hard stuff which one might encounter in WA. Jim Foster recommends a Estwing gad and hammer, and others agree. These devices don't seem to be available any more, but can someone recommend what minimum rock-breaking tools should be carried. I'm also wondering about the extent of this hard material in WA. I've been told that it is mainly concentrated south of Cue. Any useful comments would be appreciated.

Regards,

Col Douglas

Col Douglas
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Back to top Go down

Handing Calcrete, Caprock and Laterites Empty Caprock

Post  Grandfather Johnson Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:53 pm

G'Day Col,

I have Been wondering the same thing,Is it legal in WA to use a generater with a small Kanga jack hammer or the like? Handing Calcrete, Caprock and Laterites Icon_lol

Cheers Bruce

Grandfather Johnson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down

Handing Calcrete, Caprock and Laterites Empty Re: Handing Calcrete, Caprock and Laterites

Post  U308 Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:40 pm

=====Is it legal in WA to use a generater with a small Kanga jack hammer or the like? Handing Calcrete, Caprock and Laterites Icon_lol =====

Yes legal if you don't get caught Handing Calcrete, Caprock and Laterites Lol
U308
U308
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Grandfather Johnson Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:38 pm

Not realy what i wanted to hear Handing Calcrete, Caprock and Laterites Icon_sad but thanks for your reply. Handing Calcrete, Caprock and Laterites Icon_silent

Cheers Bruce

Grandfather Johnson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Handing Calcrete, Caprock and Laterites Empty Re: Handing Calcrete, Caprock and Laterites

Post  U308 Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:00 pm

Page 5 of the Book Prospecting in Western Australia states

The holder of a miners right is authorised to carry out the following activities on crown land not covered by a granted mining tenement

Prospect for minerals, which includes the use of a metal detector;

Conduct tests for minerals;

Undertake limited sampling using hand-held equipment and remove samples weighing up to 20 kilograms;

Mark out mining tenements;

Fossick for rocks and gemstones;

Camp for the purpose of prospecting.

One could read things into this possibly needs clarification??? A phone call
U308
U308
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Grandfather Johnson Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:16 pm

A jack hammer is hand held,but i see what you mean,i would sooner be on the legal side.Heading west approx end of march Handing Calcrete, Caprock and Laterites Icon_lol ( depending on the heat) Handing Calcrete, Caprock and Laterites Icon_cool so have a bit to do on the do's and dont's Handing Calcrete, Caprock and Laterites Icon_rolleyes ,was over there about ten years ago but suspect things have changed somewhat Handing Calcrete, Caprock and Laterites Confused .

Cheers bruce

Grandfather Johnson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Grandfather Johnson Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:22 pm

Anyway back to Col,seems i got away from his first question,Can anyone help him out on the hand tools he may need to handle the tougher jobs.

Cheers Bruce

Grandfather Johnson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Handing Calcrete, Caprock and Laterites Empty re tools for calcrete etc

Post  evan2010 Mon May 10, 2010 4:41 pm

Estwing hammers are available on Ebay and ive seen them at Reids prospecting in Perth. Other than that, a good strong crowbar with a pointy end is handy too. I know of people who do use jackhammers in conjunction with a genset but its not exactly legal
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon May 10, 2010 4:48 pm

Well eastwing is a brand and not a type of hammer for starters, have a look here and in the catagory of geological tools maybe, then there is numerous types from there.

http://www.estwing.com/products.php

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Handing Calcrete, Caprock and Laterites Empty tools for calcrete

Post  evan2010 Mon May 10, 2010 4:56 pm

I own one and its blue n yellow and made in the US of A
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Sat May 15, 2010 10:11 am

I reckon a Crowbar is the go and a lump hammer and a 14inch thereabouts chisel for an initial trip.

If you get a patch that is in duricrust (calcrete/ferrite etc) you will need a kanga. Maybe better to take a crowbar on the trip and if you by chance find a patch in hard duricrust then go to Kal/ Newman and buy one and come back to the patch.
Save carrying the extra weight of a kanga that you probably won't need and carry extra drinking water to keep you in the back blocks longer.

Here is a link to a long established estwing supplier. (The supplier is worth a look for all kinds of different prospecting supplies) http://www.prospectors.com.au/m-31-estwing.aspx

Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Billsymo Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:04 pm

Ever heard of Fertilizer and diesolene.
Billsymo
Billsymo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Serendipity Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:01 am

What about using battery operated tools like a cordless hammer drill fitted with a chisel bit to get through quartz and caprock?

Are these legal for prospecting being they are hand held.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/serendipity63/5340126791/in/set-72157625661010255/
Serendipity
Serendipity
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Back to top Go down