Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old Post Office site

2 posters

Go down

Old Post Office site Empty Old Post Office site

Post  gldfvr Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:56 pm

After doing some research I was able to find the location of an old Post Office that no longer exists .
Wandered off there today to check old site out for a detect .
Found a lot of nails and other pieces of scrap steel , and then out came a circular piece of brass with a hole in the centre , maybe a Holey Dollar ? bounce being about the same size as one .
Knowing not to scrub hard on any type of coin to avoid devaluing it I placed it into my pocket and waited till I got home to clean it .
Placed the brass object along with a threepence found at same site in to an ultrasonic cleaner , when finished the threepence was from 1935 , hardly worn , must have been lost not long after minting .
Now what you are all waiting for is the circular piece of brass turned out to be a ringlet from the corner of a tarp . Crying or Very sad
Pity that it was not a Holey Dollar , one day maybe !!!!

gldfvr
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-12-05

Back to top Go down

Old Post Office site Empty Re: Old Post Office site

Post  Guest Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:23 am

mmmmm nice find kinda of reminds me of the time I was reading a book on the gold fields and there was a post office in ballarat where they used too buy gold off the miners back in the olden days. any way I think in the 1950s or 1970s part of the floor of this really old post office had goon rotten so they replaced it but when they did they found something like 40oz worth of gold dust from all those years of gold trading from the 1870s and up Shocked

Back to top Go down

Old Post Office site Empty Re: Old Post Office site

Post  thelion Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:24 pm

I know where there is an Old Post office site, it is in a reasonably remote area, and according to Google Earth nothing is built there, and it is still crown land. Next time I go to Victoria I plan to swing a detector over the site, it was a Post office in at least the 1860s. So it might have some interesting things around!

thelion
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2013-02-25

Back to top Go down