Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which way do i run my steel riffles

4 posters

Go down

Which way do i run my steel riffles Empty Which way do i run my steel riffles

Post  petemcgoo Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:00 pm

Hi there, i am your newest member and i look forward to being an active participent on your forum and learning as much as i can from some of you wiser heads out there. I have just bought a claim at Teetulpa and my existing sluice (built by previous owners) which i am about to fire up has 6 inch wide diamond pattern amplimesh type heavy steel sheeting as my riffles on top of my rubber v matting which is not bolted down and just sits on top. Now ...... my issue is do i face the mesh so the slightly higher side of each diamond is facing uphill into the water and it climbs over it in turn as it flows down or do i run the mesh so the water climbs the back of the slight rise in the mesh and drops down the slight face into the next diamond grid ? I hope this isnt too stupid a question but this is the first time i have done anything like this and as they say " IM ALL IN ". I just want to get this part right as my learning curve has to go up on so many other things...(learning to operate a D2 dozer, 3tt excavator, loader, and a hopper with a rock shaker fitted to the top as well as the daily other 20 odd things to do with running a small scale mine). Some say run the mesh up some down.... I hope this forum will give me a united up or down answer... It will save me a day now and i can come back to this when more time is available and test to my satisfaction. With thanks pete.

petemcgoo
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-03-24

Back to top Go down

Which way do i run my steel riffles Empty Re: Which way do i run my steel riffles

Post  Guest Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Put the high point upstream Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Which way do i run my steel riffles Empty Riffle direction

Post  petemcgoo Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:53 pm

Thanks Ark, higher end into the water seemed logical..thanks for the quick reply.

petemcgoo
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-03-24

Back to top Go down

Which way do i run my steel riffles Empty Re: Which way do i run my steel riffles

Post  Guest Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:57 pm

You are welcome ! Anytime ! The only dumb question is the one ot asked ! cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold Miner Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:52 pm

What????
Am I missing somthing here???
You mean walkway mesh huh?
I'm gonna find a picture and get back you ya!
Gold Miner
Gold Miner
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 648
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold Miner Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:09 am

You need to creat your low pressure points, so mesh goes in this way......Which way do i run my steel riffles 12850510Which way do i run my steel riffles Index10Which way do i run my steel riffles Index110

So in my view, higher end in the water is wrong??!!!!
Please explain!!!
Gold Miner
Gold Miner
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:45 am

Gold Miner wrote:What????
Am I missing somthing here???
You mean walkway mesh huh?
I'm gonna find a picture and get back you ya!

G'day G.M. You mean Expanded Metal. This was one of my jobs making up catwalks and stairways. 23 Years as a maintenance fitter and metal fabrication worker.

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold Miner Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:04 am

but the highpoint upstream...?
Gold Miner
Gold Miner
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:58 am

Pete ..... This is an old post but if you read the PDF links shown you will have a much better idea of what you are doing. Cheers James.

Placer-Alluvial Gold Recovery Research

To be able to work an alluvial gold field with any decree of success you must first understand your equipment how it works and why it works in that particular kind of fashion. There are a lot of factors you must consider when out in the field. Feed rate into your box is very important, mineralisation is another factor if working an area with heavy black sands your equipment will choke up more so if your riffles are all at the same height. Matting and the ease of operation of the unit are all key factors that you should consider. At days end the amount of concentrates you have to clean up is the end result of all the above which comes into play to achieve these ends. Is it not better to retrieve 3 gram of gold from half a pan of concentrate than to have a bucket full of concentrate for the same amount of gold. Choice of equipment is important to be able to make the right choice you must first understand how the plant works and the only way you will get that understanding is to do your research. Do not take the word of the person selling the plant remember this point. There are a lot of people who use Sluices, Highbankers extra but very few know how to work them to their full capacity. The PDF reports that will be posted such as the one below should help you gain that knowledge. Even through the reports come from overseas they are very relevant to our situation here in Australia.
©
Cheers James 101

http://ygsftp.gov.yk.ca/publications/tech/placerrecovery.pdf

http://ygsftp.gov.yk.ca/publications/tech/fine_gold_recovery_sluiceboxes.pdf

http://ygsftp.gov.yk.ca/publications/tech/gold_loss.pdf

http://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/misc/miner/download/PlacerGoldMinerHelp.pdf

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:37 am

Gold Miner wrote:You need to creat your low pressure points, so mesh goes in this way......Which way do i run my steel riffles 12850510Which way do i run my steel riffles Index10Which way do i run my steel riffles Index110

So in my view, higher end in the water is wrong??!!!!
Please explain!!!

????? Yes like that , the arrow is showing the flow ! Which means the low eddy is behind the high point of the extrusion .

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold Miner Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:00 am

So the high point, is down stream??!
Gold Miner
Gold Miner
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:45 am

No not the way it looks when it's in the sluice Shocked
I think we are saying the same thing but looking at the physical side through different eyes ! cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:47 am

Q25 Yep the ramps start up stream Q35 or was that, the ramps go up stream Q07

It's a bloody ramp, yu don't try an do a jump with the ramp facing the wrong way now does yu Q24
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:56 pm

someday wrote:It's a bloody ramp, u don't try an do a jump with the ramp facing the wrong way now does u
Best explanation I've heard yet.
Now, about this mini mine... Got some pics to make us happy? Smile
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2012-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:20 pm

You tryen to make me writing make sense or somethen Shocked Laughing

Fine no more yu I'l use ya you know, arr ya didn't realize ay Laughing
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down