Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sick of your inadequate Minelab Harness ? Look here.

+5
24kt
Jonathan Porter
Flakmagnet
forester01
Jigalong
9 posters

Go down

Sick of your inadequate Minelab Harness ? Look here. Empty Sick of your inadequate Minelab Harness ? Look here.

Post  Jigalong Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:52 pm

I purchased a "Compleat Harness" from Double D Leather and like it so much, I felt I had to share the info with others.

The "Complete Harness"
A top quality gold detecting harness made in Bendigo, Australia. Brilliant quality and and built like a brick outhouse. Unlike the Minelab harness, you are able to attach pouches etc all the way round, as the belt is not stitched to the padding. It has a very stiff webbing belt and comes with a great leather pick holder which holds the pick at 45% and stops the handle clunking against your leg when you are walking.

I found the leather pick holder supplied on the belt, took up too much room, so I cut half of the loop section away - it still worked fine and now I can put my scoop holder (made from a tape holder - Bunnings - and the bottom of a shower gel bottle) on the left hand side next to it (see picture below).

In the back pouch which I never open is emergency "stuff" like GPS batteries, a ciggy lighter, a tiny compass, a spare fly net, a ration bar etc. In the front pouch I put neat things I find, like aboriginal artifacts, or interesting rocks that need to be studied back at camp.

"Summer Harness"
For hot weather.

These harnesses can be purchased at www.doubledleather.com I have no connection with Double D, I just like their product.

Pictured below is the "Complete Harness", with the "camel" water carrier attached (optional accessory). The two black bags and the scoop holder, are my add-ons.

Sick of your inadequate Minelab Harness ? Look here. Harness-w-camel-4-web

Last edited by Jigalong on Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:45 am; edited 3 times in total
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Sick of your inadequate Minelab Harness ? Look here. Empty The DD Harness and Accolades

Post  forester01 Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:44 pm

G'day Jigalong,

I agree this is very good kit, well thought out and makes allowances for the bloke who wants to make a few adjustments (as I did when I received mine today). The kit is robust, well made and - best of all - each piece of equipment supplied slides on the belt assembly to the wearer's satisfaction. Well done the manufacturers - www.doubledleather.com of Bendigo.

And no, I have no commercial connection with these blokes - merely a case of being fed up of the flimsy gear I bought a year ago from a well known website which was pathetic in design and strength.

Forester
forester01
forester01
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

Sick of your inadequate Minelab Harness ? Look here. Empty Re: Sick of your inadequate Minelab Harness ? Look here.

Post  Flakmagnet Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:32 am

Hi Jigalong,

I too have been looking at the Double D website.
They also sell a very smart control box cover that has
flaps to cover the front and back end caps
to keep the dust out and to prevent brush from snagging the controls.

I also notice on your belt you have hooked up the holder for your HipStick,
something I never go detecting without.

I also have no connection with Double D,
but a good product deserves to be touted.

All the best,

Flak
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Sick of your inadequate Minelab Harness ? Look here. Empty Re: Sick of your inadequate Minelab Harness ? Look here.

Post  Jonathan Porter Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:05 am

forester01 wrote:
G'day Jigalong,

....... fed up of the flimsy gear I bought a year ago from a well known website which was pathetic in design and strength.

Forester

Forester you have a PM.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:25 pm

JP,
I also bought one of those.
Jig
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:36 am

Jig did you have problems with yours? We now have a totally new design which is a lot better over the older one and is also a lot cheaper. PM me if you like.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:04 pm

Hi JP, would you be able to send us all a picture of the new design harness, a picture always says a thousand words...?
Thanks,
uncle bob sunny

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:28 am

UNCLE BOB wrote:Hi JP, would you be able to send us all a picture of the new design harness, a picture always says a thousand words...?
Thanks,
uncle bob sunny

The new harness is much more robust with a stiffer belt, more adjustability, better designed pick holder and now also includes a water bottle. The best thing is they are now very adjustable so a big bloke like me can wear one as well as the petite ladies. Am about to step out for a week but will get pics up when I get back.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  24kt Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:47 am

Hi Jigalong, "I purchased a "Compleat Harness" from Double D Leather and like it so much, I felt I had to share the info with others." thats the whole idea of forums sharing LOL

That is a beautiful harness from Double D Leather now i have to have one also thanks.

I also have seen that control box cover that completely house the GPX control box on ebay Aust

will investigate that also a a Christmas presy wanted list LOL Evil or Very Mad

cheers

24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:28 am

Mr 24k,

I also need a new control box cover. I am not sure about the Double D one though, as I like access to both ends all the time. When it is raining it would be good.

My search continues for the perfect control box cover, but at least we have found the perfect harness. It's worth paying extra money for a brilliant product.

Happy Christmas,

Jig.

PS I have purchased a good control box cover at Nuggets Down Under at Mudgee (www.nuggetsfromdownunder.com.au) called a Wisterma. The covers can be folded away when it's not raining. It's OK, but a bit bulky. I noticed today they now sell one from Coiltek too.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:22 pm

Jig, you wont think its a bit bulky when you lose your footing and land on it like i have in the past, and it becomes a surf board. (same cover)
The one before had no end covers which when disaster strikes like above, it pulls away from the controlbox and damages it.
I have a foam insert under my control box cover for added protection because losing your footing like i did with the 4000 at Tibooburra once, seen me skating to the bottom of a large hill on my controlbox, which pulled away leaving the inner foam doing all the work just as i pulled up.
Those covers are worth every penny, and bulkiness in not an issue with a 6k detector, if anything more padding should be added.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:37 pm

"me skating to the bottom of a large hill on my controlbox,"

Narrawa, you wouldn't have that on utube would you ?

I hope Santa sends you some good nuggets,

Jig.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:26 pm

Jigalong wrote:"me skating to the bottom of a large hill on my controlbox,"

Narrawa, you wouldn't have that on utube would you ?

I hope Santa sends you some good nuggets,

Jig.

Jig, No youtube, but i did have my phone camera Laughing
I was right in the middle of the Mt Brown range its self.
Pic shows the 4x4 that Tributer and I were in on that trip.
Sheerers huts are to the right and just out of view.
Sick of your inadequate Minelab Harness ? Look here. Tibtrip

Cheers, have a good xmas.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:30 am

So... you're pointing to a "wanker" in the picture Narra? Razz Razz Razz

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:16 am

Re: Sick of your inadequate Minelab Harness ? Look here.
UNCLE BOB on Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:04 pm

.Hi JP, would you be able to send us all a picture of the new design harness, a picture always says a thousand words...?
Thanks,
uncle bob .
HI JP, do you have a picture for us to see what your new harness looks like?
Thanks,
uncle bob. sunny

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:35 pm

UNCLE BOB wrote: Re: Sick of your inadequate Minelab Harness ? Look here.
UNCLE BOB on Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:04 pm

.Hi JP, would you be able to send us all a picture of the new design harness, a picture always says a thousand words...?
uncle bob. sunny

Pics as requested.

JP

Sick of your inadequate Minelab Harness ? Look here. PC290034Sick of your inadequate Minelab Harness ? Look here. PC290039
Sick of your inadequate Minelab Harness ? Look here. PC290036Sick of your inadequate Minelab Harness ? Look here. PC290038
Sick of your inadequate Minelab Harness ? Look here. PC290037
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack0gold Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:10 pm

Hi JP, I have just bought your new harness and have to say its a great design and quite comfortable to wear. Im around 6ft 3in and fits me quite well. Its also great to be able to carry a water bottle as its usually quite a distance back to the 4wd for a drink after digging a deep hole in the sun for yet another bullet. Mad
I bought it from Kim over at Mudgee for a good price and highly recommend it to any one looking for a new one.

Cheers

Jack0gold
Jack0gold
Jack0gold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2010-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:08 am

Thanks for the feedback JackOgold it's appreciated. Kim just ordered a whole heap more, hopefully they cleared the state before the floods shut everything down. Sad

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  spongegold Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Hi JP,
I didn't realize the Shingleback harness was yours. I bought one at Coiltech Maryborough last year and find it really comfortable (no aches and pains at the end of the day) it's a ripper.
Just one problem with mine though, the plastic buckle on the back strap broke after a few weeks and since then I have the strap tied in a knot and can't adjust it.
Anyway its still very comfortable.

Mark.

spongegold
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:06 am

Hello Mark, give us a call on 07 4983 2637 so we can try to rectify the problem for you. The latest harnesses are a much better design.

Regards

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  spongegold Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Gidday JP, Thank you for the offer to call you and sort it out, but I reckon I can fix it with some epoxy and fiberglass.
I hope people don't think I'm bagging the product, because I'm not, quite the opposite really. I'm extremely happy with the comfort of it.
I was just a bit stiff with 1 dodgy plastic buckle thats all. Easy fixed really.
Thanks again JP, very good of you to make the offer.

Mark.

spongegold
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:38 pm

[quote="Jigalong"]Mr 24k,

I also need a new control box cover. I am not sure about the Double D one though, as I like access to both ends all the time. When it is raining it would be good.

.[/quot
hi jig
i have one of those dd covers and find it really easy to get at the controls and close back up
best cover i've had yet
i put an extra hole in the front cover so the stem goes thru as well as the coil cable..works a treat
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:16 am

spongegold wrote:Gidday JP, Thank you for the offer to call you and sort it out, but I reckon I can fix it with some epoxy and fiberglass.
I hope people don't think I'm bagging the product, because I'm not, quite the opposite really. I'm extremely happy with the comfort of it.
I was just a bit stiff with 1 dodgy plastic buckle thats all. Easy fixed really.
Thanks again JP, very good of you to make the offer.

Mark.

No problems Mark and sorry for the inconvenience. Our new harness is a lot better in this regard and now also a lot cheaper thanks to a strong aussie dollar and new manufacturer. Give me a shout if you ever decide to upgrade and I'll organise a nice discount for you (remember to remind me, my mind is a bit of a sieve these days). cheers

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:31 am

hi JP, what would the price off these? i have the standard set up that come with the 4000 and it's just falling apart. so i think i might just have to buy a new one
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:27 am

Stoppsy, they cost $85 plus postage. Aurum Australis
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jims Gold Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:33 pm

G'day Spongegold

I also bought one of these harnesses from Coiltek and the same buckle broke on mine but I just cut a buckle of an old harness put that on and it works a treat.I think you can also buy buckles from army surplus stores but if you're in the Maryborough/Dunolly area amd want to see how I did it PM me.

Cheers
Jim
Jims Gold
Jims Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 81

Back to top Go down