Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

turning 4500 without coil connected

3 posters

Go down

turning 4500 without coil connected Empty turning 4500 without coil connected

Post  captain 101 Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:53 am

Hi all can anyone tell me if there would any issues with turning on the 4500 with battery connected but the coil is n't.

The reason I ask is I could play around with custom settings and familarize myself with th menu's etc when at home and do the final ajustments in the field.

captain 101
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-10-14

Back to top Go down

turning 4500 without coil connected Empty Turning detector on without coil connected

Post  6365 gold fever Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:32 am

Minelab recomend you dont do this...As this practice could destroy the detector..The best thing if you want to view the settings or adjust them.. is to do it with the coil connected and switch to... cancel... mode on front end cap this setting cancel,s most EMI noise and the detector,s setting can be adjusted at home.Dont use cancel in the field as there is a definite depth loss..hope this helps regards GOLDFEVER

6365 gold fever
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

turning 4500 without coil connected Empty Re: turning 4500 without coil connected

Post  delapan Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:42 pm

sorry to disagree goldfever, but the battery connected to the box without the coil is ok, i used to do it quiet a lot to familiarise myself with the settings when i first started with the 4500 (if uu watch JPs SETA project uu will see him doing exactly that) but DO NOT remove the coil from the control box with the power on, maybe not the first time but the second time, kiss your detector goodbye and it is not covered by warranty as it it specifically stated in the hand book not to do it.
regards, gary
ps dont mind at all if anyone contradicts me and i find that i am wrong
delapan
delapan
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

turning 4500 without coil connected Empty Re: turning 4500 without coil connected

Post  Guest Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:43 pm

delapan is correct, it is ok to have the unit turned on without the coil connected to adjust the settings at home before going out. Be carefull not to let anything touch the coil connection socket on the unit, this includes your fingers, as this could short it out, whilst doing this

Don't connect and disconnect the coil while the unit is turned on, as this could short it out also.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down