Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nugget Finder 8x6 versus 12x7 Coils??

Go down

Nugget Finder 8x6 versus 12x7 Coils?? Empty Nugget Finder 8x6 versus 12x7 Coils??

Post  gold bug sniper Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:20 pm

I recently bought a nice used gpx 4000 and it only came with one coil, a 11" mono commander which is great for general use, I have already purchased a CT GS 18" mono for a big coil for depth, and am now in process of looking at small coils for grain size nugget hunting, I really like the size of the 12x7 mono Nugget Finder coil, will I be loosing the grain size nuggets with this large a coil, or should I go the 8x6? I will be hunting the Nevada desert terrain with gullies, rocks, lots of sage brush, so an elliptical would be best I think. Any thoughts on what I should buy? I do have a GB2 I can use for the really tiny stuff.
gold bug sniper
gold bug sniper
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2012-04-01

Back to top Go down

Nugget Finder 8x6 versus 12x7 Coils?? Empty Re: Nugget Finder 8x6 versus 12x7 Coils??

Post  Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:49 pm

Both are excellent coils. The 8x6 Sadie is wicked on the tiny stuff a real clean up coil hence the name Sadie.

The 12 x 7 wont miss much at all but will give you that bit more ground coverage and a touch more depth. Like all small coils they are also wicked on hotrocks, but I don't know if that is a problem over where you are as it can be here.

I regularly get .1's and .2's of a gram and even smaller with an 18" NFA mono so either of the 2 you've mentioned will do exceptionally well on the small stuff.

Back to top Go down

Nugget Finder 8x6 versus 12x7 Coils?? Empty Re: Nugget Finder 8x6 versus 12x7 Coils??

Post  gold bug sniper Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Madtuna, thanks for your response, this is what I was wanting to hear about that 12x7, I really like the size of it for a smaller coil. Like you say a bit more coverage and a bit deeper. In the Calif gold fields 30 miles from where I live there are a lot of hot rocks in some areas, but in the backcountry of Nevada where we been detecting, not so many hot rocks there.
gold bug sniper
gold bug sniper
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2012-04-01

Back to top Go down