Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which coil for 4500

+4
rc62burke
Jonathan Porter
HOBO'S Gold
centralvic
8 posters

Go down

Which coil for 4500 Empty Which coil for 4500

Post  centralvic Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi Everyone
I know theres another thread talking about coils but thought I would post this question. I have just ordered a GPX4500, what size coil should I get first to get me started in the golden triangle?
Thanks Heaps CV

centralvic
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-08-19

Back to top Go down

Which coil for 4500 Empty Re: Which coil for 4500

Post  HOBO'S Gold Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:29 pm

Hi CV. I would start with a 14" elliptical mono coil is a good start, A mate of mine has both Coiltek and N/F and swears buy the N/F coil for the Triangle vic. Regards Johnny
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:32 pm

Depends on your level of experience, if you are new to the hobby then I suggest an 11" Commander Monoloop to compliment the supplied 11" DD. Generally the most popular coils in Monoloops are 8" round Commander, 14" elliptical Nugget Finder or something similar in the Coiltek brand, 15" Commander semi elliptical, 17" elliptical in Nugget Finder or 18" Coiltek Goldstalker, 16" round Nugget Finder or Coiltek and lastly the 18" round coils in the three brands.

All the coils mentioned have their place and will usually be used often depending on the areas you frequent, when using the Enhance timings there is quite a big difference between coil sizes with various windows opening up and others closing on sizes of targets and depth.

Hope this helps,

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Which coil for 4500 Empty COIL choice

Post  rc62burke Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:48 pm

Jonathan Porter wrote:Depends on your level of experience, if you are new to the hobby then I suggest an 11" Commander Monoloop to compliment the supplied 11" DD. Generally the most popular coils in Monoloops are 8" round Commander, 14" elliptical Nugget Finder or something similar in the Coiltek brand, 15" Commander semi elliptical, 17" elliptical in Nugget Finder or 18" Coiltek Goldstalker, 16" round Nugget Finder or Coiltek and lastly the 18" round coils in the three brands.

All the coils mentioned have their place and will usually be used often depending on the areas you frequent, when using the Enhance timings there is quite a big difference between coil sizes with various windows opening up and others closing on sizes of targets and depth.

Hope this helps,

JP
Hi JP
With the various windows !! How many times do you need to search the same area once you have a patch, I dont have a 4500 but it seems like if you don't changes settings when you change coils you may just be getting some exersise
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:51 pm

Jonathan Porter wrote:Depends on your level of experience, if you are new to the hobby then I suggest an 11" Commander Monoloop to compliment the supplied 11" DD.......

JP

Honestly, new or seasoned, I wouldn't leave home without this in my bag... one of my all time favourite coils!

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:27 am

rc62burke wrote: Hi JP
With the various windows !! How many times do you need to search the same area once you have a patch, I dont have a 4500 but it seems like if you don't changes settings when you change coils you may just be getting some exersise

Depends on the ground types and the depth of the gold, usually I am using a larger coil initially so will work the patch out with that then revert to a smaller coil to mop up anything I might have missed. My favourite coil sizes are 18" round, 16" round, 17" elliptical and 11" round. Generally speaking the ground where the smaller coils are used are never truly worked out especially if the mineralisation is high. This year in WA every gold producing patch I worked kept producing every time I went back to it and if I go back again next year and use smaller coils the game will be on all over again so long as my knees and lower back can handle it, it felt like I was on an Emu parade at times!! cheers

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:47 am

Gday

As already suggested the 11" commander mono coil is lethal on the 4500, it is light weight and sensitive enough to get the little bits, and very capable depth wise as well, its an excellent choice.

The 8" minelab mono is a really useful little coil, and is great for rocky areas, creeks, and for working tailings and dry blowing mounds, you wont miss much with this coil, on a recent trip I was using it to dive in and out of clumps of spinifex and grass, and dug a specimen nugget containing 12.7 grams of gold from about 14" depth, with a positive pull you up type signal from the start I was very surprised at the depth.

Another coil that is very compatible with the 4500 is the Nuggetfinder advantage 14 x 9 eliptical monoloop coil, its really light weight, covers a lot of area per swing, and is sensitive to small pieces both shallow and deep, its a bit of a touchy coil and you will be digging some ground signals with it, but once you are used to it you will do ok.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:18 am

6" CT mono, Which coil for 4500 Lol
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  centralvic Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:44 pm

Thanks everyone for the replys, do not get my 4500 until christmas so have plenty of time to chase up some coils. I think I will definetly get a 11" Commander Monoloop for starters where the best spot to buy one from?
Thanks cv

centralvic
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:05 pm

a round one

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : gee)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:46 pm

GoldstalkerGPX wrote:G'day CV, As stated the 11" mono is deadly, although I have found plenty of gold with the DD. When you get your machine and we go out welcome to play with the coils I have.
Always the hardest decision, which coil!
As to where to buy one, I got mine for a good price, but as that dealer is holding back 4500's to sell on ebay I would suggest somewhere else. Talk when we catch up mate.
Cheers

I've heard of dealers refusing to sell an in stock 4500 to a cash paying customer at thier counter instead selling fur huge profits on Ebay.
If this s true, while probably not illegal, it's highly unethical and they should be named and shamed.
Take away some of that profit by lost sales

Back to top Go down

Which coil for 4500 Empty Which coil

Post  Guest Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:33 pm

Hi JP,
You say that the largest coil that you use is an 18" coil, is there a specific reason, as coils are made a lot bigger in dia. to which i have one at 30" dia., i know, who wants to dig a hole 5'-6' deep but the point is that they have a bigger search area at a given depth. The point being that at 5'-6' the signal would be at the "point" of detection depth, but at say 4' the signal area would have a dia. of about 12", compared to the 18" coil its "point" of detection depth would start at 4'-5'. These depths would be for a large target, obviously smaller targets have a corresponding lesser depth detection range, so is it that your leaving gold behind or is it you would grab a bigger coil if neccessary and on that point, how large a coil would you go to.
Regards Ron

Back to top Go down

Post  Rtanweb Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:11 pm

My fav is 18 inch Goldstalker (coiltek) Mono. tried 14" as well, but why not get an extra couple of inches? It picks up bits sub 0.2 of a gram on a 35. Can only imagine it would do even better on a 45. I also have standard 11 DD, 10 inch mono, 14 inch DDpro. so out of these 18 inch goldstalker is my "go-to" coil.
My advice is to read about pin-pointing - big monos can be confusing for a new person.

Rtanweb
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:28 am

For in the tringle my opinion is that u cant go past the goldstalker range 14X9 and 18X12 or a N/F 16inch mono... they will see u thru the varing soil depths... and u wont need anything else

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:51 am

Centralvic, All.
I always buy from Bob Buss at Goanna detectors his service is excellant & his after sales service is even better, I recently purchased a minelab extreme off him & there was a mix up about sending & pickup so he then gave me a new cover, when I went to use the 240v. charger I noticed a fray in the cable so I rang Bob & he replaced the charger & didn't ask for the old one back as proof. so that kind of service is very hard to come by this day & age.
Cheers Greg.

Greg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down